PDA

View Full Version : Davers' Article

Jerry_Manuel
10-27-2002, 05:55 PM
I do find it rather interesting that discussions with Frank Thomas’ agent are handled by Jerry Reinsdorf himself, and that Kenny has no part in the discussions, is it a sign that Art Trellem does not want to deal with Kenny, or is it a courtesy to Frank to have his deal handled by the owner himself?

We know JR and the agent get along. I think it also shows a certain GM, doesn't want a certain player around. But what do I know?

voodoochile
10-27-2002, 11:14 PM
JR regularly negotiates directly with the players who he feels are stars and deserving of a more personal approach - see MJ. Frank's status with the Sox is that of greatest player in team history. I am sure JR is merely ensuring that Frank knows that he wants Frank back and is willing to get personally involved. In effect saying, "Frank, I have the final say on this matter. You don't have to deal with an underling or worry that my wishes are not being followed."

Jerry_Manuel
10-27-2002, 11:36 PM
I agree with what your saying VD, but usually the GM would at least have a comment, or atleast be involved.

Whatever.

Lip Man 1
10-27-2002, 11:49 PM
Usually the GM would at least have a comment or be involved...

In the REAL world of sports yes.....

But not in Chicago, where Uncle Jerry's GM's are little more then unabashed stooges, flunkies , boot lickers and lackies.

In Chicago those GM's know whos rear end to kiss since they couldn't possibly get a job any place else...

Lip

TornLabrum
10-28-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
JR regularly negotiates directly with the players who he feels are stars and deserving of a more personal approach - see MJ. Frank's status with the Sox is that of greatest player in team history. I am sure JR is merely ensuring that Frank knows that he wants Frank back and is willing to get personally involved. In effect saying, "Frank, I have the final say on this matter. You don't have to deal with an underling or worry that my wishes are not being followed."

The Chairman negotiated Frank's last contract. He's the one who had the diminished skills clause put it and then warned Thomas not to sign it. Is The Chairman schizo or what?

duke of dorwood
10-28-2002, 08:42 AM
And this is likely why no Scott Boras player will ever sign with us. It is now very clear why. They have to deal with the owner.

ode to veeck
10-28-2002, 02:36 PM
I think in MJ's case, the GM was also present for most of the talks aling with JR

Daver
10-28-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
I think in MJ's case, the GM was also present for most of the talks aling with JR

Now that you mention that Ode,I don't think Krause was involved.
I may be wrong on this because I do not follow basketball,but I seem to remember Krause being interveiwed on MJ's deal and his reply was something to the effect that the reporter would have to take it up with Reinsdorf,because he (meaning Krause) knew nothing about what agreement had been reached.