PDA

View Full Version : Lamont wants Flubs job

MarqSox
10-26-2002, 07:52 PM
HOUSTON -- Houston Astros third base coach Gene Lamont has contacted the Chicago Cubs to express interest in becoming their next manager, Lamont told Houston television station KRIV on Friday.

Lamont said he spoke with Cubs general manager Jim Hendry.

"I want to manage again in the big leagues. I let Jim know of my interest, and he said he would call me one way or another to let me know if I am going to be interviewed for the job,'' Lamont said. "I would like the chance to tell the Cubs what I am all about. I have seen the names involved and they are good names. Only time will tell. I'd like to think I am still a candidate."

PaleHoseGeorge
10-26-2002, 09:04 PM
Lamont ought to know better. He has worked in this town and knows how screwed up the Flubs organization truly is. That job isn't worth a warm bucket of goo. From the day you're hired, you're nothing but a fall-guy for the incompetence of McFail and Flubbie management. They don't give a damned about the team; they only worry about the profits the Urinal generates.

He must be truly desperate to express public interest in taking the Flubs manager's job. I almost feel sorry for him.

Almost.

:smile:

:lynch&mcfail
"We're in need of fresh meat. This Lamont guy just might be the ticket!"

jortafan
10-26-2002, 09:47 PM
Here's hoping that this is just a momentary brain cramp by Lamont. I'd like to think more highly of him than this.
He must realize that the Cubs job would end off his major league career. Take Don Baylor. The N.Y. Daily News reports that his best chance of a managing job for '03 is to take the AAA post in the Yankees system.

Tragg
10-28-2002, 12:05 AM
We can only hope that LaMont ends up in Wrigley. That should ensure more seasons of sub-70 wins.

What we can't have is Dusty Baker going over there. I doubt he would - the cubs change managers every two years - need a scapegoat. Riggleman was a pretty good manager, getting that team in 1998 to the playoffs - cast aside the next year.

MarqSox
10-28-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Riggleman was a pretty good manager, getting that team in 1998 to the playoffs - cast aside the next year.

Now how's that for summing up the Cubs ... "Sammy is the best hitter -- cast aside all the hundreds of times he strikes out."