PDA

View Full Version : Crede not playing winter ball

Daver
10-25-2002, 06:07 PM
From TSN:

EXCLUSIVE TEAM REPORT
White Sox Team Report 10/25/2002
RHP Keith Foulke wants to know his role for 2003. As of now, he's still in the bullpen and is scheduled to compete with LHP Damaso Marte for the closer's job. But if G.M. Kenny Williams fails to land a quality starter, Foulke will audition for a spot in the rotation. Foulke wants to start but he will need to build up the needed arm strength to make the switch. In his last 311/3 innings in 2002, Foulke allowed one earned run. 3B Joe Crede, who played very well after being recalled at the end of July, is the team's starting third baseman next year and beyond. But the organization wouldn't mind seeing a better work ethic from him. While most of the team's younger players are headed for winter ball, Crede opted to sit out until spring training.

RKMeibalane
10-25-2002, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure what to make of this. I hope that Crede hasn't become complacent. He finished strong last season, and he must continue to improve in order for the Sox to finally replace Robin Ventura at third base.

duke of dorwood
10-25-2002, 08:08 PM
I think that after all the minor league ball he played, he is better served resting up. Winter ball is overrated. Work ethic? How about all the patience he showed doing what they asked keeping him in AAA? These guys aint happy unless bitching about someone.

Dadawg_77
10-26-2002, 01:59 AM
He didn't play last year or was it he would play outside the country. This was a major issue and one of the reasons before camp began last Feb that people felt no matter what Joe would start down in AAA, if I remember correctly.

mrwag
10-26-2002, 10:09 AM
Seems to me winter ball can be a bit counter productive sometimes. Complacency is one thing, but shouldn't these guys be given the chance to rest a bit, and still maintain some workout routine and do it from home? Why take the chance on injuries and stuff. He's proven he can play and has the skills. I doubt he'll lose those.