PDA

View Full Version : BA on John Rauch

Daver
10-25-2002, 05:19 PM
Here you go:

Regarding Rauch

CHICAGOĖGiven his standing as a top prospect, Jon Rauch would figure to receive careful handling. Yet the White Sox put the 6-foot-11 righthander on a confusing schedule in 2002 that may have set back his development.

It wasnít until the final days of the season that Rauch showed the efficiency that had made him Baseball Americaís Minor League Player of the Year in 2000.

"In the beginning of the year, it was very frustrating, very disheartening," Rauch said. "Itís nice to be able to battle around and be able to perform like this. Itís definitely a boost."

Rauch, 24, spent most of 2001 rehabilitating his shoulder after season-ending surgery to repair non-tear injuries to his rotator cuff and labrum. Yet general manager Ken Williams and others in the organization could hardly contain their enthusiasm when Rauch arrived in spring training. His velocity was close to the low 90s, where it had been before the surgery, and he was throwing strikes.

In need of a fifth starter, the Sox decided on Rauch and stuck with him even though he was getting pounded at the end of spring training.

After Williams included Rauch on the Opening Day roster, manager Jerry Manuel left him sitting in the bullpen. Rauch made an effective appearance in the second game of the season but didnít pitch again for two weeks. He lost his rhythm and struggled for four starts (0-1, 10.80) before being shipped to Triple-A Charlotte.

Rauch didnít hit his stride until late in the season with the Knights. He finished 7-8, 4.28 in 109 innings and rejoined the White Sox in September, where he again was largely inactive before two late starts against the Twins. Rauch allowed three runs on eight hits over 12 innings, walking one while striking out eight.

Manuel says Rauch should be considered "in the picture" for the 2003 rotation, but the 1999 third-round pick out of Morehead State knows he wonít have anything handed to him.

"I donít think I need (more) time in the minors," Rauch told Chicago reporters. "The best I can do is go out there and try to do the job they hand me and go from there."

duke of dorwood
10-25-2002, 08:15 PM
Maybe with Nardi gone, he'd be better off up here. The tinkerer has to pitch him, though.

:firenardi

Just had to do it again, sorry