PDA

View Full Version : Parque feeling slighted by Sox

Jerry_Manuel
10-25-2002, 03:40 PM
Parque (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/251sd7.htm)

According to a source close to the situation, the White Sox have decided not to tender Jim Parque's contract for $1.6 million, which would allow the left-handed pitcher to become a free agent.

While general manager Ken Williams said before the end of the season that would likely be the case, he also said early in October that he wanted to sign Parque for less.

So how much is a 26-year-old starting pitcher with playoff experience worth to the Sox? The Daily Southtown has learned that Williams offered Parque $500,000 for the 2003 season, which would not be guaranteed unless Parque makes the 25-man roster. Otherwise, he would make the regular minor-league salary.

While Parque isn't ruling the Sox out of the equation, the team's decision did come as a slap in the face to the southpaw.

"I told both Kenny and (board chairman) Jerry (Reinsdorf) that I stole money from them this year," Parque said Thursday. "I'll be the first to admit that. I was coming off the shoulder surgery (performed May 15, 2001), and anyone in baseball will tell you that it takes at least a year to a year and a half to come back from a surgery like I had.

"Patience was a key with this. I'm not asking for special treatment or to be coddled. This was a rehab year for me and right now all I am is Triple-A insurance for them. I'm not that type of pitcher."

While Parque didn't want to get into the financial aspect of what was offered nor did he want to state what he thought he was worth financially he did say he would have no problem taking a pay cut from the $1.6 million if the Sox did want to keep him.

duke of dorwood
10-25-2002, 03:42 PM
Jim is not realistic, he is basically starting over and cannot use the past as a reference point. He should seek incentives-they'll buy that every time.

Iwritecode
10-25-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel Parque (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/251sd7.htm)

I'm not really sure how to feel about this. He did show a lot of guts and pitched his heart out in the 2000 playoffs. On the other hand, he (like a lot of other pitchers that year) never told anyone that his shoulder was hurting towards the end of the year and ended having surgery. Then when he finally comes back he gets sent to the minors out of spring training because it was obvious he wasn't completely healthy. Then he complained about it long enough and loud enough to allow KW to bring him up and "make a point" by letting him get shelled. (The 4-homerun game by the weak-hitting Mike Cameron comes to mind...) Now he states that he wasn't worth the money they gave him last year. I'm just wondering what kind of a twist the reporter is putting on this story. He says that the team's decision comes as a "slap-in-the-face" to Butter. Yet he later states "he did say he would have no problem taking a pay cut from the $1.6 million if the Sox did want to keep him." That doesn't sound like Parque is taking this as a "slap-in-the-face". It sounds like he understands what kind of situation he is in and needs to come out of ST strong and prove that he's still worth something before he expects the kind of money he was making before surgery.

Iwritecode
10-25-2002, 04:05 PM
Guess I should have read the whole article. Then I would have seen these fine quotes:

"I signed a deal for a lot less than I could have out of college," Parque said. "I signed the (three-year) extension (with an option) for a lot less than I could have (in 2000). I pitched hurt for them in that playoff game and put my career on the line.

"They've shown patience with other pitchers that have had surgery the past few seasons, but for some reason ... it's about an attitude behind the contract. I want to be part of a team that says, 'We're excited to have Jim Parque in camp.' I don't want it to be, 'Hey, we have other guys here and if Jim does well then we'll see.' ''

First of all, I think it was a bad idea for him to pitch hurt in 2000. They got 6 innings out of him (and still lost) then lost him for an entire year due to surgery. Secondly, I don't know what he's thinks he's worth but he obviously thinks its more than what he's been getting the past few years. Lastly, until he can prove that he can pitch effectively he is nothing more than a minor-league pitcher. Past accomplishments don't mean a lot. Just ask Lorenzo Barcelo...

bc2k
10-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
That doesn't sound like Parque is taking this as a "slap-in-the-face". It sounds like he understands what kind of situation he is in and needs to come out of ST strong and prove that he's still worth something before he expects the kind of money he was making before surgery.

I agree. For once Parque seems to have an understanding of both sides of the situation.

I've said I don't want Parque back, but now I wouldn't mind seeing him in the bullpen because he sure isn't starting over Buehrle, Wright, Garland, Rauch, Biddle, Ritchie, or the soon to be aquired Greg Maddux.

Dadawg_77
10-25-2002, 04:36 PM
Parque would come back for less money, but he wanted to be welcome back with open arms. The Sox didn't say, "Hey Jim, here is a half a million, now less go win the division", the Sox said "Well if you make it, we'll give you half million but if you don't you'll get the minor league peanuts". That is what is irking Jim. To him it doesn't seem like the Sox want him.

hold2dibber
10-25-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
To him it doesn't seem like the Sox want him.

I think he could be on to something ...

Jerry_Manuel
10-25-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
To him it doesn't seem like the Sox want him.

Well, when you have 'mean' Mike Porzio on the team, who needs Jim Parque?

Ugh.

hold2dibber
10-25-2002, 05:15 PM
It will be interesting to see what he can get on the open market. I doubt he'll get anything other than a minor league contract from anyone. He would be well served to take the Sox $500K (if he makes the roster) deal. I'm guessing with any other team, he'll end up getting the MLB minimum ($300K) if he makes the bigs.

Personally, unlike many others, I like Parque and hope he comes back with the Sox. If he can regain his health, I think he would be well suited for the "swing man"/Sean Lowe type role.

voodoochile
10-25-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
It will be interesting to see what he can get on the open market. I doubt he'll get anything other than a minor league contract from anyone. He would be well served to take the Sox $500K (if he makes the roster) deal. I'm guessing with any other team, he'll end up getting the MLB minimum ($300K) if he makes the bigs.

Personally, unlike many others, I like Parque and hope he comes back with the Sox. If he can regain his health, I think he would be well suited for the "swing man"/Sean Lowe type role.

Can the Sox offer him that little? I thought you couldn't make an offer below 80% of the previous years salary (why the Indians let Lofton walk away). Didn't Parque make over $1M last year?

Daver
10-25-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Can the Sox offer him that little? I thought you couldn't make an offer below 80% of the previous years salary (why the Indians let Lofton walk away). Didn't Parque make over $1M last year?

You have to be a veteran (5 years of MLB service time) in order to be subject to that rule, Parque does not have that.

duke of dorwood
10-25-2002, 08:22 PM
I hate to give up on left handed pitching (except Pulsipher), and they need to find the proper spot for Butter.

:pulsipher

My memory lives on

guillen4life13
10-25-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I hate to give up on left handed pitching (except Pulsipher), and they need to find the proper spot for Butter.

My memory lives on

can't forget:

:embree
ay! give me summa the credit here!

Iwritecode
10-25-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

My memory lives on

That's Parque's one saving grace. He throws with his left arm. But Mark Burly he's not. If he can get more money from another team, then I doubt the Sox will miss him too much. They are loaded with pitching talent but still need a proven #2 veteran. Parque doesn't fit that role either...

Lip Man 1
10-26-2002, 12:12 AM
They are loaded with pitching talent

Funny that sounds a lot like what the Sox PR department has been feeding the masses for the last five years.

Bottom line, if they have all that talent, why isn't it showing up in results?

To quote the retired Bill Gleason, "this talk about so called great young White Sox pitching is a canard, it's false, it's a lie..."

Lip

Kilroy
10-26-2002, 07:27 AM
The Sox aren't in a position to be throwing away pitchers. Butter should be brought back with a 1 year, incentive filled deal that gets him a second year if he meets some levels of performance. If not...

mrwag
10-26-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
the soon to be aquired Greg Maddux.

One can only hope ...

voodoochile
10-26-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
They are loaded with pitching talent

Funny that sounds a lot like what the Sox PR department has been feeding the masses for the last five years.

To quote the retired Bill Gleason, "this talk about so called great young White Sox pitching is a canard, it's false, it's a lie..."

Lip

I think that's a bit extreme. All 4 of Buehrle, Wright, Garland and Rauch have shown at least flashes of brilliance. No one knows how they will turn out, and calling them great at this stage of their careers is definitely an exaggeration (except for Buehrle). However, If they live up to their hype (and that is a possibility) then there will be some very happy Sox fans over the next 3 years while they remain on the team (read:while being cheap and pre-arbitration/RFA eligibility).

Yes, I know the team has a history of over-hyping their prospects, but at the moment, they actually do have a bit of young pitching talent at their disposal. Only time will tell if their greatness will become a reality or will remain more of the same old same old Sox hype, but to call it a lie is definitely premature (at least for the moment)...

RichH55
10-27-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
The Sox aren't in a position to be throwing away pitchers. Butter should be brought back with a 1 year, incentive filled deal that gets him a second year if he meets some levels of performance. If not...

A one year say 500K ish deal with incentives, option for a 2nd year, no guarntee of the majors would be perfect for the Parque situation...now lets see what Parque actually will agree to...still early in the process

doublem23
10-27-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

:nardi
I had nothing to do with it, I'm sure.

Iwritecode
10-28-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
:nardi
I had nothing to do with it, I'm sure.

Exactly what I was thinking...

Maybe I should have worded it "loaded with pitching talent better than Parque pitched last year"?

NewyorkSoxFan
10-29-2002, 04:28 PM
Parque is unbelievable, he talks like he was a twenty game winner with a cy young under his belt. Kenny you want some team work in your clubhouse send that guy to the D-rays with alvarez.

NewyorkSoxFan