View Full Version : Boob Costas strikes again

DVG
10-25-2002, 01:26 AM
I read today's Tribune and was treated to another interview
with Bob Costas, baseball's overrated, egomaniacal, unfunny
resident philosopher. He was asked about what it would be
like if the Cubs won the World Series. He said the usual gar-
bage, then blabbered on about how the ULTIMATE would be
if the Cubs and the RED Sox were in the series together.
Once again, the WHITE Sox, the longest reigning futility champs
in the AL are arrogantly ignored by the most overrated, arrogant
jerk in broadcasting. (Or do you count Bill Walton?) I swear it
burns me up when I see that crap. If I was on TV with Costas
and he dared say some crap like "Oh, Oh. To see the Cubbies
and the Red Sockies in the series.What a great poem this'll
make" I'd go Ty Cobb on his ass. He'd be lucky He'd have any
breath left after being stuck with a needle and drained of all
his pompous, arrogant hot air.

voodoochile
10-25-2002, 01:48 AM
Oh come on, don't hold back, tell us how you REALLY feel...

duke of dorwood
10-25-2002, 08:32 AM
Costas no loger speaks for the baseball fan. The years of doing meaningless basketball games changed him . Now, there is a dramatic angle to everything.

jortafan
10-25-2002, 12:36 PM
Life is much too short to get bent out of shape over Bob Costas' comments. Besides, what are the chances that both Boston and the cutesy little Cubbies could ever both get their act togiether in the same year. His fantasy is NOT going to happen. I expect to see the Sox (the real Sox, not the Boston geeks) in the World Series before I ever would expect that matchup to take place in October (just curious, does anyone know if the two teams will play each other in '03 through the magic of interleague play?)

Iwritecode
10-25-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Life is much too short to get bent out of shape over Bob Costas' comments. Besides, what are the chances that both Boston and the cutesy little Cubbies could ever both get their act togiether in the same year. His fantasy is NOT going to happen. I expect to see the Sox (the real Sox, not the Boston geeks) in the World Series before I ever would expect that matchup to take place in October (just curious, does anyone know if the two teams will play each other in '03 through the magic of interleague play?)

Nope. They play the Pirates, Astros, Brewers and Cards. They miss the Cubs and Reds. Although the Cubs get to play the Yanks this year.

Iwritecode
10-25-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Nope. They play the Pirates, Astros, Brewers and Cards. They miss the Cubs and Reds. Although the Cubs get to play the Yanks this year.

Speaking of interleague play... Is it just me or am I one of the few people who actually like it and want to see more of it? If it weren't for interleague, we'd get to watch the Sox play against the same 14 teams for 162 games. That's gets pretty boring after a while. Heck, I get bored watching the Sox play the Tigers and Royals 19 times a year as it is. When was the last time the Cubs and Yanks met? Ever? The Sox have yet to see how they would match up against the Schilling/Johnson duo in the desert. How would Mark Burly do pitching against Barry Bonds? With interleague play, you get to see different scenarios throughout the year instead of playing a 3-game set in Cleveland, then having both teams fly to Chicago the next day to play another 3-game set. The only thing that I don't like about it is the DH rule. I wish they would either have it for both leagues (my personal choice) or get rid of it altogether. That way when interleague comes around, neither team has any more of an advantage because of it.

duke of dorwood
10-25-2002, 01:49 PM
I'm just sick of watching Minnesota ,Kansas City, and Detroit. Anything, even the other league is fine with me.

jortafan
10-25-2002, 02:01 PM
[BWhen was the last time the Cubs and Yanks met? Ever?
[/B]

In both 1932 and 1938, the Chicago Cubs brought great shame to this wonderful city, allowing the Yanks to sweep them in four straight games both times in the World Series. (Remember the stories about Babe Ruth calling his shot, pointing out his homerun?) That was at Wrigley Field, which even Babe Ruth referred to as "a dump."
Compare this to our Sox, who in 1917 managed to uphold the Windy City's honor against the Big Apple and beat John McGraw's Giants 4 games to 2.
Thus endeth the history lesson, for the two or three people in this world who actually care.

And as for the rest of the message, the solution is to dump the unbalanced schedule so that we're not getting 19 games against K.C. and Detroit, while only getting six games at the end of the season against the Yanks or a single series against Seattle.
That would produce more variety and interest in a season, rather than having to tolerate a series against the Padres.

Jerry_Manuel
10-25-2002, 02:43 PM
When was the last time the Cubs and Yanks met? Ever? The Sox have yet to see how they would match up against the Schilling/Johnson duo in the desert. How would Mark Burly do pitching against Barry Bonds?

Since the Yanks are in Florida they don't play in the spring. So the last time they met would've been the 32'(?) series. When the Babe called his shot depending on who you believe.

Sox will get their shot at Bonds and the D-Backs in 2003.

voodoochile
10-25-2002, 02:53 PM
I thought the Sox played the flubbies home and home every year regardless of who the inter-league divisional matchups were against. Last year the ALC did not play the NLC, yet the two teams still played 6 times. Isn't this one of those every year matchups like Mets/Yankees, Angles/Dodgers and A's/Giants?

Jerry_Manuel
10-25-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I thought the Sox played the flubbies home and home every year regardless of who the inter-league divisional matchups were against. Last year the ALC did not play the NLC, yet the two teams still played 6 times. Isn't this one of those every year matchups like Mets/Yankees, Angles/Dodgers and A's/Giants?

Yeah they kept the natural games like you mentioned in. So the Sox will not see one team from the NL West. I know they play the Giants, Dodgers, D-Backs, and I think Padres. So that would mean they don't get the Rockies due to playing the Coo.

cheeses_h_rice
10-25-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Was the Cubs/Sox series in 1997 6 games or 3? I went to all 3 at Comiskey, but I can't recall if games were played at Wrigley that year or not. I think there were one or two years where it was just 3 games at one team's park.

Man, nice memory. 5 years and I'm already forgetting stuff.

RKMeibalane
10-25-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Was the Cubs/Sox series in 1997 6 games or 3? I went to all 3 at Comiskey, but I can't recall if games were played at Wrigley that year or not. I think there were one or two years where it was just 3 games at one team's park.

Man, nice memory. 5 years and I'm already forgetting stuff.

Sox vs. Cubs History:

1997: Sox win series (2-1) (Comiskey)
1998: Cubs win series (3-0) (Wrigley)
1999: Sox win series (3-0) (Wrigley); Cubs win series (2-1) (Comiskey)
2000: Sox win series (2-1) (Comiskey); Cubs win series (2-1) (Wrigley)
2001: Sox win series (2-1) (Comiskey); Sox win series (2-1) (Wrigley)
2002: Cubs win series (2-1) (Wrigley); Sox win series (2-1) (Comiskey)

cheeses_h_rice
10-25-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Sox vs. Cubs History:

1997: Sox win series (2-1) (Comiskey)
1998: Cubs win series (3-0) (Wrigley)
1999: Sox win series (3-0) (Wrigley); Cubs win series (2-1) (Comiskey)
2000: Sox win series (2-1) (Comiskey); Cubs win series (2-1) (Wrigley)
2001: Sox win series (2-1) (Comiskey); Sox win series (2-1) (Wrigley)
2002: Cubs win series (2-1) (Wrigley); Sox win series (2-1) (Comiskey)

Thanks, RK. At least I'm not completely losing my mind!

Tragg
10-25-2002, 11:14 PM
When these talking heads start taking themselves too seriously, they really suck bad. Costas is almost as bad as Al Michaels - the worst pbp man on the air because he thinks he knows everything. Prior to Madden joining him, the other color guys almost had to ask his permission to comment, and then Michaels would either agree or correct them. ABC kept changing commentators, igoring the obvious - Michaels is the problem. Madden (who I'm tired of) comes in with sufficient stature as a color man that Michaels can't dominate him. (espn top pbp man mike patrick is well on his way to joining the michaels/costas club).

contrast those two dolts to long time talking head chris berman, who just has fun (same old stuff, but still fun) and doesn't take himself too seriously.

DVG
10-25-2002, 11:23 PM
Speaking of interleague play... Is it just me or am I one of the few people who actually like it and want to see more of it?

You are not. I like interleague play also. It adds variety to the
schedule and has matchups you will most likely never see in
the World Series. (Sox vs. Cubs comes to mind.) Besides, to
me one of the highlights of the 2001 season was when the
down-and-out, lowly Scum Sox beat up on the first place Cub-
bies. Cub fans howled loud and long about Valentin the blas-
phemer, Jay Mariotti practically foamed at the mouth and ranted
with all the fervor of Humphery Bogart ranting about strawberries,
Les Grobstein declared "The Cubs have the better record!" and
the Chicago sports media indignantly huffed "The Cubs have
bigger fish to fry!" and the Cubs got fried by Houston and St. Louis. It don't get much better than that. On a Jay Mariotti
"delicious" scale of one to four D's, I'd have to give the Cubs-
Sox series of 2001 five D's.