PDA

View Full Version : Report: Howe, Mets agree to four-year, $9.4M deal

Jerry_Manuel
10-24-2002, 11:47 PM
Art (http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1023/1450221.html)

A baseball source, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed to The Associated Press on Thursday that Howe has agreed to a four-year, $9.4 million contract. The move will be announced formally next week, after the World Series.

MarkEdward
10-24-2002, 11:59 PM
Hint to the New York Mets: Art Howe isn't the reason the A's are good.

duke of dorwood
10-25-2002, 12:03 AM
:ray

Its because of me

Paulwny
10-26-2002, 04:11 PM
From Newsday:

Commissioner Bud Selig was so infuriated by the circus atmosphere surrounding the Mets' managerial search during the World Series that he is expected to fine the club $50,000 for defying his edict against interfering with the Fall Classic.

Selig, according to a baseball official, wanted the Mets to name a manager before the World Series or hold off until it concluded. Selig even reminded the parties involved on Tuesday that they were forbidden to make any major announcements during the Series

jortafan
10-26-2002, 07:33 PM
Is it really the Mets' fault that this year's California Series is so weak that managerial manipulations are of more interest to their fans? For those who want to disagree with my assessment of the '02 Series, just consider that it probably will be remembered, if at all, as the series where a 3-year-old boy provided the highlight.

FarWestChicago
10-27-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
Is it really the Mets' fault that this year's California Series is so weak that managerial manipulations are of more interest to their fans? For those who want to disagree with my assessment of the '02 Series, just consider that it probably will be remembered, if at all, as the series where a 3-year-old boy provided the highlight. Here are several people who disagree with your assessment of the Series this year:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15402

Are you disappointed because the Yankees aren't in it? :smile:

jortafan
10-27-2002, 11:41 AM
Actually, I'm more disappointed by a team that can't hold a 5-run lead. I'm also disappointed with pitching from both sides that has been rather sloppy. Yeah, I'm one of those damn "purists" who'd probably love a double no-hitter and the tension it would create. Actually, I'd have loved to see the Athletics finally get their shot at a series. Too bad they couldn't beat the Twins.

guillen4life13
10-27-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Actually, I'm more disappointed by a team that can't hold a 5-run lead. I'm also disappointed with pitching from both sides that has been rather sloppy. Yeah, I'm one of those damn "purists" who'd probably love a double no-hitter and the tension it would create. Actually, I'd have loved to see the Athletics finally get their shot at a series. Too bad they couldn't beat the Twins.
eh. the a's won one back in '88. it's good the angels are getting a chance. they've never been there, and unlike a couple other teams in the last 5 years... they aren't an expansion team in the series.

jortafan
10-28-2002, 12:36 AM
After my last round of whining and moaning, I must admit that Game 7 was about the only one that did NOT disgust me. The pitching was decent, and there was some hard nosed play. If the whole series had been like that (rather than a home run derby and seeing how many times Barry Bonds could be intentionally passed), I'd have thought more highly of the spectacle. But I still say Darren Baker will be the lasting image of this series, both the sight of him being swept off the field in Game 5, and his being carried out of the dugout in tears after Game 7.