PDA

View Full Version : New Weekly Sox News In The Sporting News


Lip Man 1
10-24-2002, 10:03 PM
This week’s issue of The Sporting News has some more Sox stuff and a pretty significant item regarding Frank Thomas .

First off, the American League 2002 All Star Team is out, as voted on by the players and Magglio Ordonez is NOT on it! (Which surprised me.) The three outfielders are Torii Hunter, Bernie Williams and Garret Anderson.

Second, under the weekly news for the Baltimore Orioles as reported by Dave Sheinin . QUOTE ]" Expect the team to pursue free agent slugger Frank Thomas this winter. Although the Orioles have a logjam of 1st base/DH types, they are desperate for a power bat or two in the middle of their lineup." (Hmmmmm.... maybe getting Thomas back isn’t so cut and dried!)[/B]

Finally Scot Gregor has this in the weekly Sox report. QUOTE "If DH Frank Thomas departs as a free agent, the team likely will platoon Carlos Lee and Jeff Leifer at DH. Lee, who is defensively challenged in left field, would be replaced by Joe Borchard. Willie Harris , is playing winter ball in Puerto Rico and he will continue splitting time between second base and center field. The team is excited about Harris’ athletic ability and speed, but he’s ticketed for a reserve role in 2003. He will back up 2B D’Angelo Jimenez and CF Aaron Rowand ."

Lip

Jerry_Manuel
10-24-2002, 10:06 PM
I'm not going to say anything until he is elsewhere if it happens.

Lip Man 1
10-24-2002, 10:10 PM
To the best of my knowledge that report in the Orioles section of TSN is the first time I've seen any indication, rumor, hint or mention of of Thomas being potentially linked to another team.

It gives you pause for thought doesn't it?

Lip

RichH55
10-24-2002, 10:29 PM
Signing Frank would be foolish for the O's, but not out of the realm of posibilities. That team needs to blow up and start over....why they traded a prospect like Willie Harris, especially for a guy like Singleton is beyond me

Jerry_Manuel
10-24-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
To the best of my knowledge that report in the Orioles section of TSN is the first time I've seen any indication, rumor, hint or mention of of Thomas being potentially linked to another team.

It gives you pause for thought doesn't it?

Lip

Well, the Orioles need something big to happen and inking Thomas would put butts in the seats.

hold2dibber
10-25-2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Well, the Orioles need something big to happen and inking Thomas would put butts in the seats.

I don't know if that's true. Frank's national image and appeal has certainly taken a beating the last few years. I don't know that Orioles fans would be rushing to the park to see him, especially since he alone wouldn't be nearly enough to make the Orioles even close to good. But then again, Orioles management is moronic, so who knows.

hold2dibber
10-25-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
This week’s issue of The Sporting News has some more Sox stuff and a pretty significant item regarding Frank Thomas .

First off, the American League 2002 All Star Team is out, as voted on by the players and Magglio Ordonez is NOT on it! (Which surprised me.) The three outfielders are Torii Hunter, Bernie Williams and Garret Anderson.



Ridiculous. Maggs had more homers, more RBIs, more runs scored, a higher slugging percentage, less strikeouts, more total bases and the highest OPS (by far) among any of those guys. He got robbed (surprise, surprise).

AL outfielder statistical comparison (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_sortable_player_stats.jsp?section1=null&statSet1=null&statType=1&sortByStat=HR&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2002&baseballScope=AL&prevPage1=1&readBoxes=true&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=O&box1=XXXX120044chaO&box3=XXXX110236anaO&box5=XXXX116338minO&box18=XXXX124288nyaO&compare.x=28&compare.y=6)

kermittheefrog
10-25-2002, 08:23 AM
Garret Anderson = most overrated player in MLB.

Jerry_Manuel
10-25-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I don't know if that's true. Frank's national image and appeal has certainly taken a beating the last few years. I don't know that Orioles fans would be rushing to the park to see him, especially since he alone wouldn't be nearly enough to make the Orioles even close to good. But then again, Orioles management is moronic, so who knows.

His national image is better than his local image.

They don't have much else to root for, so I'm sure they'd go to see him.

hold2dibber
10-25-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
His national image is better than his local image.

They don't have much else to root for, so I'm sure they'd go to see him.

Jeff Conine!

guillen4life13
10-25-2002, 07:33 PM
o no please dont let him sign with the O's. please no!

nut_stock
10-25-2002, 07:49 PM
I don't think Frank would go to the O's. I think he said that if he did leave (although he did say that he wants to stay) he'd want to go to a contender.

MarkEdward
10-25-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Garret Anderson = most overrated player in MLB.

Give him credit, he had a very nice 2002. Anderson's awful as a corner outfielder, but passable as a center fielder.

In fact, I wouldn't even call Anderson the most overrated Angel outfielder. That goes to Erstad.

longshot7
10-26-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Give him credit, he had a very nice 2002. Anderson's awful as a corner outfielder, but passable as a center fielder.

In fact, I wouldn't even call Anderson the most overrated Angel outfielder. That goes to Erstad.

what are you smoking? Overrated by whom? Both are underrated if anything. Without Anderson and Erstad, the Angels wouldn't be anywhere near the World Series. I'd love to have them on the south side.

MarkEdward
10-26-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
what are you smoking? Overrated by whom? Both are underrated if anything. Without Anderson and Erstad, the Angels wouldn't be anywhere near the World Series. I'd love to have them on the south side.

Garrett Anderson has been extremely league average since 1998 (average OPS+ of 101.5 for those years). That's not even counting 1996 and 1997, where his average OPS was .731 as a corner outfielder!

When Darin Erstad's good, he's really good (2000). When he's bad, he's horrendous ('99, '01). His OPS this year was .702, and I'd guess he'll stay at that number for his career. In my opinion, he's overrated because of that extremely large contract he just signed. He's getting paid way too much.

ScottyTheSoxFan
10-26-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Jeff Conine!

actually Im more of a marty cordova fan