PDA

View Full Version : Valentin going lefty?

MisterB
10-24-2002, 03:21 AM
Was cruising around Baseball America's website checking out some Winter League stats (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/Stats/winter.html) and noticed that Manos (playing for Mayaguez of the PR League) is denoted as batting lefty, not switch. Considering his Mendoza-like average and nonexistent power from the right side of the plate, hitting switch isn't much of an advantage for him. Who knows? Maybe he he'll hit lefties well enough that JM will just let him play every day!

:jerry
"Not a chance. Josh Paul's playing short against lefties this year!"

RichH55
10-24-2002, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
Was cruising around Baseball America's website checking out some Winter League stats (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/Stats/winter.html) and noticed that Manos (playing for Mayaguez of the PR League) is denoted as batting lefty, not switch. Considering his Mendoza-like average and nonexistent power from the right side of the plate, hitting switch isn't much of an advantage for him. Who knows? Maybe he he'll hit lefties well enough that JM will just let him play every day!

"Not a chance. Josh Paul's playing short against lefties this year!"

Well it makes sense for Manos to play that way...especially since the SS job is his..he wont have to show off his own "versatility" which can at times be counter productive

RKMeibalane
10-24-2002, 01:10 PM

"Oh, boy! Now, I can play Valentin against righties, and Graffanino can start against lefties."

Iwritecode
10-24-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

"Oh, boy! Now, I can play Valentin against righties, and Graffanino can start against lefties."

Tony G, the forgotten man. Seriously, when thinking about next year's 25 man roster, how many of you left him off?

:graff

"I'll be back."

Foulke You
10-24-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Tony G, the forgotten man. Seriously, when thinking about next year's 25 man roster, how many of you left him off?

:graff

"I'll be back."

I agree Tony G is the man! Great bench guy to have on your team.

Valentin batting lefty all the time would be a great move. I don't see why he couldn't hit MLB pitching all the time lefty.

duke of dorwood
10-24-2002, 05:01 PM
I had hoped Ray Ray would do that too when he was here. It would be a great move. He'd hit 25 pionts more.

MisterB
10-24-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I had hoped Ray Ray would do that too when he was here. It would be a great move. He'd hit 25 pionts more.

Ray is a much more legitimate switch hitter than Jose. Ray's L/R splits are around .285/.255 with a little less power from the right side, whereas Jose is more on the order of .270/.200 with a serious power outage batting righty. There are advantages in facing a LHP from the right side of the plate, but it doesn't seem to help Manos much.

WinningUgly!
10-25-2002, 01:39 AM
Didn't Ozzie Guillen start out as a switch hitter, before becoming a fulltime lefty?

MisterB
10-25-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Didn't Ozzie Guillen start out as a switch hitter, before becoming a fulltime lefty?

Yep. Ozzie batted switch as a minor leaguer but gave it up before the made the majors (it may have coincided with him coming to the Sox organization, but not positive on that)