PDA

View Full Version : Ripken #1?

WinningUgly!
10-24-2002, 12:31 AM
Cal Ripken Jr. breaking Lou Gehrig's consecutive games streak was voted baseball's most memorable moment in fan balloting (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1023/1450142.html) .

Good for Cal, but if this is MLB's most memorable moment, there's no wonder why business is slow. Personaly I'd have gone with Kirk Gibson's pinch-hit home run in the bottom of the ninth inning to win Game 1 of the 1988 World Series off of Eckersly. Fisk's 1975 game 6 HR would have been a close 2nd. Then there was that Samme solo zinger a few years ago in the bottom of the 8th, with the sCrUBS trailing 12-3.

FarWestChicago
10-24-2002, 12:44 AM
I would go with Hank Aaron passing the Babe. I watched that live at the time and it's something I'll never forget.

voodoochile
10-24-2002, 01:04 AM
"The Giants win the Pennant! The Giants Win the Pennant!"

For a memorable moment, that sticks in my head. Fisk's HR in game 6 would be a close second for me. Though I didn't experience either one live...

I agree, Cal Ripken? Sheesh... Talk about a short memory. Even the fans no longer understand the history of the game...

harwar
10-24-2002, 08:14 AM
I loved seeing Pete Rose get that ovation.He was one of my favorite players when i was young.My personal most memorable moment is actually one that i wish didn't happen.The1994 baseball strike had a tremendous impact on me as the White Sox could very well have gone all the way that year.Cancelling the World Series over labor issues is something i'll never forget.

Kilroy
10-24-2002, 08:34 AM
I liked seeing Rose too. He's one of the all time greats, and even the gambling doesn't diminish what he did on the field.

duke of dorwood
10-24-2002, 08:35 AM
I agree on the Bobby Thompson home run-with the Jerry Dybzinski running gaffe in 1983 a close second (in my mind)

RKMeibalane
10-24-2002, 12:01 PM
I always liked seeing Gehrig's farewell speech. I love how he ended it, saying, "I've got an awful lot to live for."

Then of course, there was that time Royce Clayton won a game with a pinch-hit single. It brought tears to my eyes.

doublem23
10-24-2002, 01:20 PM
Hmmm...

This got me thinking, what is everyone's favorite White Sox moments? Being as young as I am, most of mine are pretty recent.

1) Ellis Burks catching the fly ball to end the game against Seattle in 1993 and clinch the American League West for the Sox (and the subsequent celebration that followed).

2) Robin Ventura's 2nd grand slam against Texas in one game.

3) Mike Caruso's bloop homer sweeping away the Cubs.

4) September 3, 2000: Sox defeat Anahiem, 13-12 (IIRC) in one of the wildest games I've ever seen on my 17th birthday.

5) Skipping school in time to watch the Sox play Game 2 of the ALDS.

6) The 7 Glorious Days in 2000... Eat it, Cleveland and New York!

7) Bo Jackson's first swing with the Sox (you all know what happened).

8) Mark Buehrle's 1-hitter against Tampa Bay.

9) Comiskey Opening Night, 2000: Ray's circus catch, Frank's homer in the bottom of the first, and a gem by Sirotka

10) Valentin's grab against Cleveland in 2000 when he jumped basically in the stands at Jacobs Field. It was a thing of beauty.

Soxboyrob
10-24-2002, 01:27 PM
Can't believe you're omitting CLee's grand slam vs. the Cubs in 2001 to win in extra innings.

Or...The Sox come from behind win vs. the Cubs this season. What were we down? 8-0?

Iwritecode
10-24-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Can't believe you're omitting CLee's grand slam vs. the Cubs in 2001 to win in extra innings.

Or...The Sox come from behind win vs. the Cubs this season. What were we down? 8-0?

Screw beating the Cubs, everyone does that. What about the time Jose looked right into the WGN camera and did his Sammy impression? That was classic. :smile:

nut_stock
10-24-2002, 04:58 PM
Going back to the original post, I too was suprised about Ripken. That's no where near #1 in my book. That being said, It always ticked me off in his later years that he was selected to the all star game over more deserving players. I know this is the fault of the fans, but I never did "get" the whole Ripken thing. When Cal and Gwynn anounced they would retire, I was more concerned about Tony.

Soxheads
10-24-2002, 06:01 PM
For me, the "Seven Glorious Days" would be right up there.

guillen4life13
10-24-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Going back to the original post, I too was suprised about Ripken. That's no where near #1 in my book. That being said, It always ticked me off in his later years that he was selected to the all star game over more deserving players. I know this is the fault of the fans, but I never did "get" the whole Ripken thing. When Cal and Gwynn anounced they would retire, I was more concerned about Tony.

i think it's because of the heavy influence a guy like ripken has had for the position. i'm not justifying his all-star selections, i'm just giving you a probable reason.

guys like A-Rod, Jeter, and the rest of the SS elite credit ripken, because he revolutionized the position. If you'll remember: before ripken, the stereotypical shortstop was a small, scrawny david eckstein type player (only more defensively minded than offensively).

Ripken revolutionized it because:
1. He was big, and could hit for power and a high average
2. He was pretty darn good defensively
3. He brought the placement and mental aspects of the game more into the spotlight.

those are the best reasons I can give you.

FanOf14
10-24-2002, 07:49 PM
I never did get the Ripken thing myself. Did playing all those games straight do tons for the team or was it more of a personal stat? (I am asking this in all seriousness because I have heard different opinions on this.)

Great list doublem! I would add the 1983 clinch and also a personal favorite was during the '83 season when I got home from the hospital after getting my head stitched up, seeing back-to back-to back homers (I think it was Pacieorik Kittle and Luzinski (sp?))! Let me tell ya, it did alot for a 6 year old in pain!

jortafan
10-24-2002, 08:14 PM
Maybe I'm biased, but I've never even believed that Ripken was the best shortstop the Orioles ever had. Don't forget that Aparicio was in Baltimore when they went to the World Series in '66. But then again, chicks dig the long ball, not the stolen base and top notch defense, so what do I know.

Dadawg_77
10-24-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I never did get the Ripken thing myself. Did playing all those games straight do tons for the team or was it more of a personal stat? (I am asking this in all seriousness because I have heard different opinions on this.)

Great list doublem! I would add the 1983 clinch and also a personal favorite was during the '83 season when I got home from the hospital after getting my head stitched up, seeing back-to back-to back homers (I think it was Pacieorik Kittle and Luzinski (sp?))! Let me tell ya, it did alot for a 6 year old in pain!

Man, I was about 5 11/12 in Sept of 83, but I rember a spilt screen watching the Royals lose a game after the Sox won a game which offically clinched for us. Then the park went crazy. Not sure if that really happen as it was about 19 years ago but seems like it did. Can anyone confirm?

Also I was even though my father was 5 or so, what about air raid sierns.

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-24-2002, 09:34 PM
out of my short short life, i have to say some of my most memorable sox moments are:

carlos lee's grandslams vs the cubs in 2001 and 2002

bo jacksons' first homerun on the white sox

robin ventura's 2 grandslams game vs the rangers

mike caruso's hr to sweep the cubs

paul konerko's 2 home runs to come back from an 8-0 lead by the cubs and win this year

white sox back to back to back to back home runs to slaughter the brewers in 1996

DVG
10-24-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Screw beating the Cubs, everyone does that. What about the time Jose looked right into the WGN camera and did his Sammy impression? That was classic. :smile:

:moron

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I FOAM AT THE MOUTH WHEN I
THINK OF IT!!!!!! DAMN YOU SCUM SOX FANS!!!!!! DAMN VALEN-
TIN THE BLASPHEMER!!!!!!

jortafan
10-25-2002, 12:42 PM
There's something about the way Mariotti's hair looks in that picture, even more ridiculous than any of Bob Greene's toupees. Are we sure it's not a cheap wig?

voodoochile
10-25-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
There's something about the way Mariotti's hair looks in that picture, even more ridiculous than any of Bob Greene's toupees. Are we sure it's not a cheap wig?

:fluffy
"I may not be the best looking cat in the world, but I am NOT cheap! Just for that, I'm going to tell Jay to write even more negative crap about the Sox and Frank Thomas..."