PDA

View Full Version : Another Ex Sox In Series

Lip Man 1
10-24-2002, 12:02 AM
A few folks have posted how some former Sox players like Kenny Lofton and Scott Eyre (shudder...) finally made it to the Series as soon as they got out of Chicago.

Here's another one:

Remember announcer Joe McConnell?

Joe did the Sox on radio from 1980 through 1984 (along with doing the Bears...) and now he does play by play for the Angels on KLAC. I heard a highlight of his from Game #3.

Joe worked with folks like Harry Caray, Jimmy Piersall, Rich King (now the weekend sports anchor at WGN-TV) and Lorn Brown.

I always thought he was damn good. Nice to see he finally got a Series shot (since the Sox never will!)

Lip

WinningUgly!
10-24-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
A few folks have posted how some former Sox players like Kenny Lofton and Scott Eyre (shudder...) finally made it to the Series as soon as they got out of Chicago.

Here's another one:

Remember announcer Joe McConnell?

Joe did the Sox on radio from 1980 through 1984 (along with doing the Bears...) and now he does play by play for the Angels on KLAC. I heard a highlight of his from Game #3.

Joe worked with folks like Harry Caray, Jimmy Piersall, Rich King (now the weekend sports anchor at WGN-TV) and Lorn Brown.

I always thought he was damn good. Nice to see he finally got a Series shot (since the Sox never will!)

Lip

I remember Joe McConnell. He was the voice of the Sox when I was just a young pup, listening to the Sox every night on the radio when I went to bed.

Lip Man 1
10-24-2002, 12:56 PM
Also you can add Al Levine to the list of ex Sox.

Levine isn't on the active WS Angels roster but if they win he'll get a ring.

The past few years he turned into a pretty good left handed set up guy for troy Percival.

Of course when he was with the Sox he was terrible. He was part of that "outstanding" (LOL) bullpen in 1996 (along with Matt Karchner and Larry Thomas and Tony Castillo) that set the MLB record for most blown saves (since broken by the Orioles) that helped cost the Sox the wild card berth (along with the 5th starters going 5-18).

As soon as he got out of the Sox orgnaization he turned out to be OK.

Typical, eh?

Lip

duke of dorwood
10-24-2002, 01:21 PM
I luvvved Joe McConnell-who was great on Bears games too. You hear him on Walter's run where he broke Jim Browns record