PDA

View Full Version : Singleton

Jjav829
10-23-2002, 05:50 PM
Rival executives are snickering at the Orioles' quest to trade CF Chris Singleton. Described by one scout as "an extra player at best," Singleton could earn $2 million in arbitration. The Orioles likely will decline to offer him a contract. . . .

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-23-2002, 07:17 PM
Rival executives are snickering at the Orioles' quest to trade CF Chris Singleton. Described by one scout as "an extra player at best," Singleton could earn $2 million in arbitration. The Orioles likely will decline to offer him a contract. . . .

This will be Jeff Liefer in 3 years if anybody is dumb enough to keep him around that long.

Daver
10-23-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
This will be Jeff Liefer in 3 years if anybody is dumb enough to keep him around that long.

You can add Aaron Rowands name to that list as well.

Iguana775
10-23-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by daver

what??!! you mean he isnt going to be an all-star!!??

nut_stock
10-24-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by daver

for me, the jury is still out on Rowand

RichH55
10-24-2002, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

We shall see on Liefer...with his power potential he could stick around awhile.......hes not a bad bench player in the least...its funny how some guys like Russell Brayan(sp>?) can get multiple chances and Liefer is struggling to be a bench player.....If I had my pick of one or the other it wouldnt be all that clear cut to me

RichH55
10-24-2002, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
for me, the jury is still out on Rowand

Agreed but the jury is decieded between marginal outfielder and decent 4th outfielder/bench guy......not superstar or quality regular

RichH55
10-24-2002, 04:53 AM
Hey KW unloaded him and got a major league ready prospect...probably a career utility guy, but hey thats higher than I had pegged for getting for Singleton....Part of the Rey Sanchez and Mike Caruso Empty .300 Hitter Club

RKMeibalane
10-24-2002, 11:57 AM
Every time I see something written about Chris Singleton, I can't help but think of how big a fluke his 1999 season was.

Foulke You
10-24-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Every time I see something written about Chris Singleton, I can't help but think of how big a fluke his 1999 season was.

Chris can't hit a major league fastball. He was a breaking ball hitter. When he came into the league like most rookies, they were throwing him offspeed breaking pitches hoping to get him out with that. Once the secret spread that Chris had a big loopy swing (remember "slow swingleton"?) that couldn't catch up to a good fastball, he was done. Too bad. He was a really nice guy.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-24-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

EXACTLY. Back in 1999, Singleton had a better season than either Jeff Liefer or Aaron Rowand have ever had. Yet somehow some here are convinced Singleton is the one who had no talent but these other two stiffs do. They may be right, but I doubt it.

The problem is we're comparing the "young promising" Liefer and Rowand of 2002 to the "young promising" Singleton of 1999. We've seen the future for "young promising" players of Liefer and Rowand's level. That's why they'll be cut loose without arbitration before the 2006 season--same as Singleton in 2003.

This assumes anyone is dumb enough, like Baltimore was, to keep either of these guys around long enough to let it happen.

I'm hoping it's not the Sox.