PDA

View Full Version : Carpenter

RichH55
10-23-2002, 12:52 AM
How many people think he would be a solid idea for a pickup? He doesnt solve the number 2 pitcher slot, and I would hope management wouldnt try to sell him like that...but he seems like a guy with something left in the tank, he would come cheap, so he seems like the type of pickup we have been making for years....A Moyer and Carpenter offseason along with some timely contract extentions would be my dream offseason

hold2dibber
10-23-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
How many people think he would be a solid idea for a pickup? He doesnt solve the number 2 pitcher slot, and I would hope management wouldnt try to sell him like that...but he seems like a guy with something left in the tank, he would come cheap, so he seems like the type of pickup we have been making for years....A Moyer and Carpenter offseason along with some timely contract extentions would be my dream offseason

I agree that Carpenter could still become a solid starter at the MLB level. But I don't think he's the kind of guy the Sox should be looking for. I think Wright, Garland, Rauch and Biddle all have the same kind of potential that Carpenter does (and the same potential to fail). They need to find someone who they can reasonably expect to get the job done; not another "potential" guy - they already have plenty of those. Moyer, Omar Daal, Colon or Vazquez, Leiter if he's available - those are the guys I'd be most interested in.

bc2k
10-23-2002, 01:41 PM
Garland, Wright, Rauch, and even Biddle can handle the 3-5 spots. As KW has said, we need another ace or #2 to complement Buehrle. I don't think Carpenter does that so I'd rather not see him on the South-Side.

Foulke You
10-23-2002, 02:49 PM
The Sox will have at least one surprise trade or signing and it will probably be for a pitcher. It's pure speculation on who KW decides will be his next big bust :D: I for one, wouldn't mind seeing a guy who knows the AL like a Jamie Moyer. Of course, getting an ex-Cub never ceases to make me nervous.

:jaime
"What are you talking about?!! I didn't get any run support!"

RichH55
10-24-2002, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I agree that Carpenter could still become a solid starter at the MLB level. But I don't think he's the kind of guy the Sox should be looking for. I think Wright, Garland, Rauch and Biddle all have the same kind of potential that Carpenter does (and the same potential to fail). They need to find someone who they can reasonably expect to get the job done; not another "potential" guy - they already have plenty of those. Moyer, Omar Daal, Colon or Vazquez, Leiter if he's available - those are the guys I'd be most interested in.

The question with Moyer would have to be money and years...as it usually is with pitchers....Moyer is probably at a point where years means more than money, and with the situation in Seattle, especially with Lou looking elsewhere, we shouldn't face a huge competition from the incumbent....Im thinking he is looking for 3 years ....no idea on money....right now we don't have a # 2 starter...Moyer is one....in two/three years he probably isn't, but by that time someone else should have stepped up to claim the role of a 1-2 starter or we have other issues than Moyer qualifying for Social Security.....

Plus his numbers shouldnt drop off all that much..playing away from Safeco would hurt, but its not like losing velocity with age is going to hurt him and likewise his arm should be able to stay relatively healthy. Plus the staff could use a veteran presence somewhere(especially a quality veteran), and (this is just a theory and I would like opinions from those of you who know pitchers)...but alot of our pitchers (Not Foulke) tend to throw pretty hard....Moyer would offer a different look and over the course of a 3-4 game series it might be hard for opposing teams to adjust rapidly to facing 95 mph fastballs one day and then 83 mph ones the next day(at least when the pitcher knows what he is doing with that type of speed..Read: Not Jimmy Parque)..........And at this point I'm just sort of rambling..so I shall cease :gulp: :gulp:

hold2dibber
10-24-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
The question with Moyer would have to be money and years...as it usually is with pitchers....Moyer is probably at a point where years means more than money, and with the situation in Seattle, especially with Lou looking elsewhere, we shouldn't face a huge competition from the incumbent....Im thinking he is looking for 3 years ....no idea on money....right now we don't have a # 2 starter...Moyer is one....in two/three years he probably isn't, but by that time someone else should have stepped up to claim the role of a 1-2 starter or we have other issues than Moyer qualifying for Social Security.....

Plus his numbers shouldnt drop off all that much..playing away from Safeco would hurt, but its not like losing velocity with age is going to hurt him and likewise his arm should be able to stay relatively healthy. Plus the staff could use a veteran presence somewhere(especially a quality veteran), and (this is just a theory and I would like opinions from those of you who know pitchers)...but alot of our pitchers (Not Foulke) tend to throw pretty hard....Moyer would offer a different look and over the course of a 3-4 game series it might be hard for opposing teams to adjust rapidly to facing 95 mph fastballs one day and then 83 mph ones the next day(at least when the pitcher knows what he is doing with that type of speed..Read: Not Jimmy Parque)..........And at this point I'm just sort of rambling..so I shall cease :gulp: :gulp:

Moyer would be a great pick up, but I'm sure other teams are eyeing him and he'll have his share of suitors. I'd love to have him, but realistically, with his age and the amount of $ he'll command (I would guess at least $7 or $8 million/year), he does seem like a long shot for the Sox. But he would seem to be a real good fit.