PDA

View Full Version : Schueler interviews with Red Sox

HawkDJ
10-22-2002, 08:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1022/1449559.html

RKMeibalane
10-22-2002, 10:40 PM
I figured Schueler would find another job somewhere. I wish he was still the general manager here. A lot of people didn't like him, and I for one thought he made some questionable decisions, but he was nowhere near as bad as Williams has been.

Daver
10-22-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I figured Schueler would find another job somewhere. I wish he was still the general manager here. A lot of people didn't like him, and I for one thought he made some questionable decisions, but he was nowhere near as bad as Williams has been.

Ron Schueler was a slug that had no interest in doing anything other than riding the drafts of Larry Himes,Williams at least has the guts to pull the trigger on a trade that he thinks will make the team better,and he had the decision over the draft throughout most of the Schueler regime,Ron lost his authority in drafting players when he drafted his daughter,Kenny has controlled the draft since 1999.

duke of dorwood
10-22-2002, 10:55 PM
Schueler-puppet for the 90's

RKMeibalane
10-22-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Schueler-puppet for the 90's

I guess that makes Williams the puppet for 2000.

:reinsy

"And I'm the puppet master."

Dadawg_77
10-23-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by daver
Ron Schueler was a slug that had no interest in doing anything other than riding the drafts of Larry Himes,Williams at least has the guts to pull the trigger on a trade that he thinks will make the team better,and he had the decision over the draft throughout most of the Schueler regime,Ron lost his authority in drafting players when he drafted his daughter,Kenny has controlled the draft since 1999.

Speaking of that, what ever happen to Larry Himes after the Cubs let go of him? That guy could spot talent. Did he ever make a bad choice in the first round?

Cheryl
10-24-2002, 02:00 PM
Gotta love this quote from that story:
Schueler left the position on good terms with the White Sox, but said he was disappointed with the slide in team chemistry the past two years.

DrCrawdad
10-25-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Speaking of that, what ever happen to Larry Himes after the Cubs let go of him? That guy could spot talent. Did he ever make a bad choice in the first round?

Brooks...

Brooks Kieshnick, I believe he was a first round choice by Himes.

Himes crony Goldis selected 48 pitchers in either 93 or 94 for the Cubs. Of those 48 only two ever made it to the majors.

I've discussed this matter of Himes acumen at selecting talent. The opinion of many, including many Cub fans, is that Himes had talent just fall in his lap. They say that Himes wasn't so much as talented as lucky when Himes was with the Sox. Of course lucky is what you could call the Cubs landing Mark Prior. Instead many Cub fans use Prior as proof of their great system under MacFail/Hendry.

Tragg
10-26-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

Scheuler was horrible when he first started: his eye for talent in his pursuits of Cory Snyder and Steve Sax were just as bad as royce clayton or todd ritchie. Like williams, his best moves were the small moves. Jorge Bell was more schueler brilliance (yea, I know, 140 RBIS and a OBP of barely .300). He let a stiff like dan pasqua hang around for years.

Scheuler was terrible.

Tragg
10-26-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
They say that Himes wasn't so much as talented as lucky when Himes was with the Sox.

Himes built the Sox by trading vets to contenders for TOP prospects. There was some luck that several turned out to be good - but ON PAPER these were superior deals (the baines deal and the bannister deal) of dumping vets for top prospects from other teams. We got Sosa, Melido Perez (critical to the Sox 1990 resurgence), Wilson Alvarez and a couple of more.

He acquired Ivan Calderon, also critical to the 1990 Sox.
He got a lot of mileage out of 2 solid pitchers - Greg Hibbard and Eric King - whom I believe that scheuler subsequently just gave away (expansion draft; cubs were involved somehow).
And someone drafted Frank Thomas, Jack McDowell and Alex Fernandez - I believe Himes had his hand in some of those drafts.
Bobby Thigpen was a Himes maneuver.

And he hired Torborg, who, in 1990, pulled off the best managing performance of a Sox team since Chuck Tanner did his work in 1971 and 1972.

His successor I think gave us lamont and bevington, two simply awful managers.

DrCrawdad
10-26-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
...He let a stiff like dan pasqua hang around for years...

Pasqua was perfectly qualified for the Mets managing job.

http://images.mp3.com/mp3s/109/resources/120/741/files/12074165.jpg?resource_id=5836637