PDA

View Full Version : Trib Reports That Sox Want Frank Back


hold2dibber
10-22-2002, 08:51 AM
Today's Tribune reports that Frank's agent, Art Tellem, meet with JR over the weekend and is encouraged. He reportedly said that the Sox want Frank back and Frank wants to be back with the Sox. He suggested that there was still work to be done and that not just one or two meetings would get it done, but that the meetings were encouraging.

cheeses_h_rice
10-22-2002, 10:17 AM
:moron

*#%#^&!*##@(#$(%!)$!!

Dadawg_77
10-22-2002, 11:23 AM
This does fit into Jerry Manuel's Theory on the situation. hmmm.....

steff
10-22-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Today's Tribune reports that Frank's agent, Art Tellem, meet with JR over the weekend and is encouraged. He reportedly said that the Sox want Frank back and Frank wants to be back with the Sox. He suggested that there was still work to be done and that not just one or two meetings would get it done, but that the meetings were encouraging.


Arn is a great agent. Good choice for Frank. No surprise that the Sox want Frank to stay. Although even if they didn't why would he leave.. his $$ is guarenteed.

WinningUgly!
10-22-2002, 12:47 PM
Right now the Sox have to say that they want Frank back, whether they actually do or not. Other teams are not very likely to line up for Frank's services anyway & will be even less likely to do so if the White Sox are vocal about not wanting Frank back. Seriously, what organization is gonna do JR a favor by gambling big money on Thomas & bailing Reinsdorf out? Me thinks this is all about JR trying to stir up some interest & create some artificial demand for Thomas.

hold2dibber
10-22-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Right now the Sox have to say that they want Frank back, whether they actually do or not. Other teams are not very likely to line up for Frank's services anyway & will be even less likely to do so if the White Sox are vocal about not wanting Frank back. Seriously, what organization is gonna do JR a favor by gambling big money on Thomas & bailing Reinsdorf out? Me thinks this is all about JR trying to stir up some interest & create some artificial demand for Thomas.

That doesn't seem feasible to me. If the Sox wanted him gone, the most expedient way to get him gone would have been to knock his salary down to $250,000/year. That would have absolutely humiliated Frank (he'd be the lowest paid player in MLB) and he would have, IMHO, left and given up the guaranteed money rather than be humiliated like that. But by (reportedly) seeking only to knock down his base annual salary by about $1 million and telling Frank's agent that they want him back, Frank's not going anywhere. Even if JR's "nice-nice" attitude toward Frank might somehow drum up some interest in Frank (which seems unlikely to me; interest from other teams would be predicated on their scouting reports of his performance last season, not JR's attitude toward him), there's no way its going to drum up $40 million dollars in guaranteed money interest in him. And Frank's not going to walk away from that guarnteed money unless the Sox make it know they don't want him (i.e., by knocking his salary down to $250,000/year).

voodoochile
10-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
That doesn't seem feasible to me. If the Sox wanted him gone, the most expedient way to get him gone would have been to knock his salary down to $250,000/year. That would have absolutely humiliated Frank (he'd be the lowest paid player in MLB) and he would have, IMHO, left and given up the guaranteed money rather than be humiliated like that. But by (reportedly) seeking only to knock down his base annual salary by about $1 million and telling Frank's agent that they want him back, Frank's not going anywhere. Even if JR's "nice-nice" attitude toward Frank might somehow drum up some interest in Frank (which seems unlikely to me; interest from other teams would be predicated on their scouting reports of his performance last season, not JR's attitude toward him), there's no way its going to drum up $40 million dollars in guaranteed money interest in him. And Frank's not going to walk away from that guarnteed money unless the Sox make it know they don't want him (i.e., by knocking his salary down to $250,000/year).

If they were to do that, JR would be proven to be a guy who only cares about money and not loyalty and not winning. If they force Frank out, then the fans would know all of this and the newspapers would suddenly become Frank's biggest supporters. Ripping on JR would jump to the front page of every daily and you can bet the moron would figure out which way the wind was blowing and chime in. JR is just covering his bases this way if Frank does leave, he can say, "Hey, I wanted him back, but I couldn't afford him." And once again...

:reinsy
"It's all the fan's fault!"

hold2dibber
10-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If they were to do that, JR would be proven to be a guy who only cares about money and not loyalty and not winning. If they force Frank out, then the fans would know all of this and the newspapers would suddenly become Frank's biggest supporters. Ripping on JR would jump to the front page of every daily and you can bet the moron would figure out which way the wind was blowing and chime in. JR is just covering his bases this way if Frank does leave, he can say, "Hey, I wanted him back, but I couldn't afford him." And once again...

:reinsy
"It's all the fan's fault!"

I don't disagree (necessarily) with your assessment of JR's motives; but regardless of the reason, the (reported) approach that the Sox are taking certainly does not appear to be aimed at driving Frank out of town. You may be right that the Sox have decided not to drive him out of town because of the P.R. backlash, but in either event, I don't think they're driving to make him leave.

Jerry_Manuel
10-22-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
This does fit into Jerry Manuel's Theory on the situation. hmmm.....

It does, but I'll just keep my 'speculation' to myself, and we shall see how the situation unfolds.

voodoochile
10-22-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I don't disagree (necessarily) with your assessment of JR's motives; but regardless of the reason, the (reported) approach that the Sox are taking certainly does not appear to be aimed at driving Frank out of town. You may be right that the Sox have decided not to drive him out of town because of the P.R. backlash, but in either event, I don't think they're driving to make him leave.

I don't either, but I think all the publicity about how they want him back is designed to reduce problems should some other team outbid them for Frank's services. They are opening a can of worms and all of this other crap is just window dressing to save face if they end up getting burned...

WhiteSox = Life
10-22-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If they were to do that, JR would be proven to be a guy who only cares about money and not loyalty and not winning. If they force Frank out, then the fans would know all of this and the newspapers would suddenly become Frank's biggest supporters. Ripping on JR would jump to the front page of every daily and you can bet the moron would figure out which way the wind was blowing and chime in. JR is just covering his bases this way if Frank does leave, he can say, "Hey, I wanted him back, but I couldn't afford him." And once again...

:reinsy
"It's all the fan's fault!"

I agree, but then again...

:reinsy
(Who knows what evil lurks behind the heart of such a man?)

mike squires
10-22-2002, 11:02 PM
i can see it allready. sox fest '03. the place is gonna go crazy when they introduce big frank.

RKMeibalane
10-22-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by michael penny
i can see it allready. sox fest '03. the place is gonna go crazy when they introduce big frank.

I'm looking foward to the Sox home-opener. Comiskey will be louder than ever before.

pearso66
10-22-2002, 11:28 PM
i believe it was said previously on this site, but if jerry wants to keep his "minimal" fan base, and possibly get more fans to the park, his only way in doing that is by keeping frank, i think there were a few people on here a while back to say that they had started being sox fans because of the Hurt. and im sure if they were to just toss him aside, they would lose fans, instead of gain them

RichH55
10-23-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
:moron

*#%#^&!*##@(#$(%!)$!!


Are you kidding? Either way this plays out the Moron has columns ready to go either way....Dump Frank and he goes off on JR and the Sox, Keep Frank and he goes off on JR and the Sox, Frank stays and plays well he can make backhanded compliment after compliment about how they avoided a complete disaster both PR wise and team wise and then say the neighborhood is bad and the Ball"mall" sucks....Franks stinks and the Moron can ride that for multiple months.........I still think that he has an Albert Belle column on file in case Albert ever screws up in any way ever again.....but life is easy for a journalist without integrity