PDA

View Full Version : Burly talks about Thomas; pitches in Japan

Iwritecode
10-21-2002, 01:47 PM
From the trib:

Sox starting pitcher Mark Buehrle believes the Sox are taking a big risk in giving Thomas the opportunity to become a free agent.

"Look at what he did the last month or two," Buehrle said. "He was hitting like he'd done his whole career. If the Sox felt they had to part ways with him and let him try and go elsewhere, I don't think anyone in the clubhouse would be happy about it. Especially if he comes back and hits .320 with 30 [homers] and 100 RBIs."

So much for that "clubhouse cancer" label... Isn't this what a lot of us have been saying around here?

Buehrle is supposed to be one of the beneficiaries of the decision to invoke Thomas' diminished skills clause. He was paid only $225,000 while winning 19 games and figures to get a sizeable raise. The Sox plan to talk to Buehrle about a multiyear deal after he returns from a November trip to Japan, where he'll pitch against Japanese teams with a team of major-league players.

Buehrle said he hopes Thomas returns, and said most of his teammates want him back as well.

"It has been written a lot of times that he's not on the bench during games," Buehrle said. "He wasn't out there a lot, but he was out there enough and when we needed him out there. There are other guys who are sitting out of a game who sit in the clubhouse for a while, to take a break. The only one it seemed they ever talked about was Frank ."

bc2k
10-21-2002, 03:29 PM
Mark just pitched 239 innings this past year. Why the hell do the Sox allow him to now pitch in Japan? What does Japan offer? Bad food, ugly women, and a torn labrum. If he comes back with tendonitis, someone better lose their job. Herm Schneider better be in Japan with Buehrle.

Jerry_Manuel
10-21-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
So much for that "clubhouse cancer" label... Isn't this what a lot of us have been saying around here?

Well, Mark is just one guy giving his opinion. I'm sure Royce had a fan or two in the clubhouse as well. No, I'm not comparing Royce to Frank.

jortafan
10-21-2002, 03:33 PM
I don't mean this as a slam against Buerhle, but doesn't he also consider David Wells to be a mentor, of sorts, for his career. Maybe he's just the rare type who can get along with anybody, and not typical of the majority of the White Sox players. Too bad we couldn't get a whole ballclub of Burley-mons. Maybe we'd win something, for a change.

jortafan
10-21-2002, 03:35 PM
It's these fingers of mine that force me to type the wrong letters, thereby mis-spelling Buehrle.

Dadawg_77
10-21-2002, 03:39 PM
Mark and the rest of th pitching staff would love to have Frank in the three spot getting runs in the first inning, and providing them with leads.

voodoochile
10-21-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
It's these fingers of mine that force me to type the wrong letters, thereby mis-spelling Buehrle.

That's why there's an "edit" link right beside the "quote" link at the bottom of every message...

*This message brought to you by Moderators for a better board (MFABB)

:D:

MarkEdward
10-21-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Mark just pitched 239 innings this past year. Why the hell do the Sox allow him to now pitch in Japan? What does Japan offer? Bad food, ugly women, and a torn labrum. If he comes back with tendonitis, someone better lose their job. Herm Schneider better be in Japan with Buehrle.

Pitching one or two innings a week won't damage Buehrle's arm.

Paulwny
10-21-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Pitching one or two innings a week won't damage Buehrle's arm.

Exactly what Sirotka and Thigpen thought.

CLR01
10-21-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Exactly what Sirotka and Thigpen thought.

It was in Japan where Siortka got injured correct?

duke of dorwood
10-21-2002, 09:07 PM
What if their mound is a different height? So much can go wrong there, I dont like it.

Jerry_Manuel
10-21-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
What if their mound is a different height? So much can go wrong there, I dont like it.

Don't worry, Todd Ritchie is here if anything should happen.

Lip Man 1
10-21-2002, 11:13 PM
Technically Ritchie IS NOT here.

He's arbitration eligible and the Sox haven't made him a qualifying offer (yet).

Unless Todd decides to lower his salary request (substantially) even Kenny Williams might swallow his pride and let him go too!

Lip

Paulwny
10-22-2002, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
It was in Japan where Siortka got injured correct?

I think Sirotka had some pain prior to the trip. He sure didn't help the injury.
I read an article about Thigpen. After setting the saves record he had a tired arm and some soreness in the shoulder. He felt that by going to Japan he never allowed his arm/shoulder to receive any rest for the next season.

longshot7
10-22-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Mark just pitched 239 innings this past year. Why the hell do the Sox allow him to now pitch in Japan? What does Japan offer? Bad food, ugly women, and a torn labrum. .

Bad food? Are you kidding me? That's the only reason, well apart from all the willing young hot girls, I'd go to Japan.
Mmmm..... sushi.

PANFIRECRACKER
10-23-2002, 11:15 AM
Maybe he needs the money since he's not getting it here. perhaps he's enjoying maguro and ikura served by those hot asian babes!