PDA

View Full Version : Sox Stuff / The Sporting News

Lip Man 1
10-20-2002, 05:31 PM
This week's "The Sporting News" has a bunch of stuff on the Sox or potentially involving them. I pass it along, as a single post, FYI.....

From the column called Scoutís Views : "Youíve got to be careful with someone like Kenny Lofton . Someone will wind up giving him money and heíll die on them in June if heís not on a winning team. Heís too up and down, a good player on a good team, but a bad make up guy on a bad team." (Hmmm, think back to this past June, Sox fans...is this another judgmental error by Kenny Williams?)

From Ken Rosenthalís column called Inside Dish : "How sweet it was for Twins LHP Eddie Guardado to retire the Aís Ray Durham for the final out of the Division Series. In February, when Durham was still with the White Sox, he said he was "not worried" about the Twins duplicating their 2001 success. After the Game #5 clincher, he told his agent, Kevin Kohler, "I didnít have a whole lot, but he was going to get what I had. I wasnít going to let him beat me."

Rosenthal also has this in the same section: "Look for the Yankees, Mariners and Reds to pursue RHP Bartolo Colon if MLB forces the Expos to dump salaries. The Expos, owned by MLB, will increase the payroll from 36 to an estimated 55 million if they keep their roster intact. The other 29 clubs would never allow such a boost, and their hard line stance might force the Expos into deals involving Colon, C Michael Barrett and RHP Javier Vazquez and Tony Armas Jr." (Hmmmm...the Sox could use ANY of those four guys couldnít they? But donít get your hopes up, that would cost $$$$$)

Rosenthal also takes a weekly fanís question, here is what he got this week: "The White Sox have a ton of young talent performing at the major league level and many of their veterans were written off too soon- reliever Keith Foulke, for example. Was their late season surge for real, or will they struggle again in 2003?ĖDarius Kellner, Boulder, Colorado.

Hereís his answer: "Baseball men warn against trusting anything you see from non contenders in September, believing that their performances with expanded rosters are as meningless as spring training games. That said, there is no doubt the White Sox became a better team after getting younger. They won 22 of their last 34 games, sweeping the Twins and taking two out of three from the Yankees and the Red Sox. The White Sox principal need, for the third straight off season , is a top of the rotation starter. David Wells injured his back two years ago, and Todd Ritchie flopped this season. The middle infield defense is also a concern, even though the Sox have three players, DíAngelo Jimenez, Jose Valentin and Willie Harris for two positions. But if the Sox find another starter and their younger players continue to develop, they should return to contention next season." (Hmmmm....thatís a TON of "ifís" for a supposed contenting team isnít it?)

Finally in the Sox weekly report, authored by Scot Gregor , he says this: "Despite RHP Todd Ritchieís dismal year, the team is very interested in bringing him back. Ritchie, who seemed to straighten out his mechanics in the last two weeks of the season, wants to return next year and prove heís a better pitcher. The team will probably cut ties with C Mark Johnson . With Miguel Olivo positioned to take over as the starter, thereís not much of a need for Johnson. Also, the team is tired of watching Johnson struggle at the plate. Josh Paul is likely to back up Olivo, unless the team decides a low priced veteran is a better option behind an inexperienced starter." (Hmmmm...seems like another season with a "black hole" behind the plate!)

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
10-20-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
....The team will probably cut ties with C Mark Johnson . With Miguel Olivo positioned to take over as the starter, thereís not much of a need for Johnson. Also, the team is tired of watching Johnson struggle at the plate. Josh Paul is likely to back up Olivo, unless the team decides a low priced veteran is a better option behind an inexperienced starter." (Hmmmm...seems like another season with a "black hole" behind the plate!)

Omigod, I can't believe we would cut Mark Johnson just so we could keep Josh FRICKIN' Paul on the team! This is my worst nightmare! Wild pitches, passed balls, runners stealing at will, and Manuel tinkering with pinch-running/left-field-replacement backup catchers who can't hit .230 and have no clue how to run bases either.

This is just sooooooo typical of the ineptitude of the Sox under Kenny Williams!

<sigh>

HawkDJ
10-20-2002, 07:52 PM
Mark Johnson, Josh Paul...who cares?? It's Miguel Olvio Time!

duke of dorwood
10-21-2002, 10:04 AM
:walnuts

I stole a base on Josh in a no lead-off intersquad game.

hold2dibber
10-21-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Omigod, I can't believe we would cut Mark Johnson just so we could keep Josh FRICKIN' Paul on the team! This is my worst nightmare! Wild pitches, passed balls, runners stealing at will, and Manuel tinkering with pinch-running/left-field-replacement backup catchers who can't hit .230 and have no clue how to run bases either.

This is just sooooooo typical of the ineptitude of the Sox under Kenny Williams!

<sigh>

If the Sox plan on making Olivo the regular catcher next year (and I, for one, am not sure he's ready), MJ (or some other catcher with some years on him) needs to be the back-up. Josh Paul seems like a nice guy and he tries hard, but for cripes sake, what the hell is Josh Paul going to teach Olivo? Hell, I'd rather have Dalesandro up here with Olivo than Paul. Or bring back Karko!

soxtalker
10-21-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
If the Sox plan on making Olivo the regular catcher next year (and I, for one, am not sure he's ready), MJ (or some other catcher with some years on him) needs to be the back-up. Josh Paul seems like a nice guy and he tries hard, but for cripes sake, what the hell is Josh Paul going to teach Olivo? Hell, I'd rather have Dalesandro up here with Olivo than Paul. Or bring back Karko!

What about the chance that BOTH MJ and Paul will be gone next year? Are there any other veterans out there who might be available that would have better numbers than MJ?

MarkEdward
10-21-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
What about the chance that BOTH MJ and Paul will be gone next year? Are there any other veterans out there who might be available that would have better numbers than MJ?

There are no cheap, worthwhile catchers available, save for Bill Hassleman. Javy Lopez is available, but broken down and expensive. Ivan Rodriguez is available, but he'll be too expensive. Charles Johnson is a free agent, but he'll also be too expensive.

RichH55
10-21-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
There are no cheap, worthwhile catchers available, save for Bill Hassleman. Javy Lopez is available, but broken down and expensive. Ivan Rodriguez is available, but he'll be too expensive. Charles Johnson is a free agent, but he'll also be too expensive.

C is a blackhole almost league wide...Detriot has a bunch of depth there for some reason, but if either Paul or MJ is the backup/....big deal...neither is good, or even hopefull of becoming"not bad", so its sink or swim with Olivio, which I think is the right move

PaleHoseGeorge
10-21-2002, 10:20 PM

:reinsy
"You're my kind of Sox Fan, Mark. Always looking out for my bottom line! Bwahahahahahahaha!"

harwar
10-22-2002, 12:14 PM
Just as long as they bring back,my man,Julio Ramirez,for ONE MORE TRY.i'll be happy :)

voodoochile
10-22-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by harwar
Just as long as they bring back,my man,Julio Ramirez,for ONE MORE TRY.i'll be happy :)

Sure why not, the nickname "hitless" is once again available for a tag...

longshot7
10-23-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by harwar

he's too busy sitting on the bench for the Angels in the world series.

Foulke You
10-23-2002, 01:42 PM
In response to the Eddie Guardado comments. F#$@ Eddie Guardado, F$#% Torii Hunter, and F$%! the Twins. That is all.

Lip Man 1
10-23-2002, 07:53 PM
Foulke You:

Like them or not, you have to give them their due. They won it going away and unless the Sox do something to make the pitching comparable in 03, they very well could do it again.

The Twins pitch pretty well and they catch the ball like madmen. In short, they play the game the way the Sox USED to play it when they went from 1951 through 1967 without a losing season.

Lip

RKMeibalane
10-23-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Foulke You:

Like them or not, you have to give them their due. They won it going away and unless the Sox do something to make the pitching comparable in 03, they very well could do it again.

The Twins pitch pretty well and they catch the ball like madmen. In short, they play the game the way the Sox USED to play it when they went from 1951 through 1967 without a losing season.

Lip

Agreed. The only way things are going to change in the AL Central is if the Sox do something to improve. The Twins show no signs of slowing down, and their experience this season will give them confidence that they can continue to contend. If the Sox do win the division in 2003, they are going to be neck-and-neck with the Twins for the entire season.

Jerry_Manuel
10-23-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The only way things are going to change in the AL Central is if the Sox do something to improve. The Twins show no signs of slowing down, and their experience this season will give them confidence that they can continue to contend.

Minnesota has to pay some people this off-season, see what happens there first.

MarkEdward
10-23-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Minnesota has to pay some people this off-season, see what happens there first.

They also have people that can easily fill in for those departing players (LeCroy/Morneau for Doug M.; Mohr/Keilty/Cuddyer for Jacque Jones).

RichH55
10-24-2002, 04:39 AM
They also have people that can easily fill in for those departing players (LeCroy/Morneau for Doug M.; Mohr/Keilty/Cuddyer for Jacque Jones).

Still that doesn't mean they will fill in....especially at that level....a bird in the hand is worth two in the bust.....Dougie's defense would be a bigger loss than the Twins would like to think, especially if you lose Jones's bat, which they will probably lose some of anyway even if they bring Jones back...If I were the Twins I would be worried about a decent amount of spots.....Guzman is a guy to watch...didnt play that great this year and next year should go along way towards determining if he is more Alex Rodriguez or more Alex Gonzalez.....Im thinking its Gonzalez with more triples

maurice
10-24-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Dougie's defense would be a bigger loss than the Twins would like to think

I don't know. He plays the least important defenseive position, and one of the Twins' prospects should be able to exced his offensive production substantially.

Guzman is a great talent, but it doesn't look like he'll ever play at a consistenetly high level.

Jones would be a big loss, though. He had a very good year in 2002 and may even improve in 2003.

MarkEdward
10-24-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Still that doesn't mean they will fill in....especially at that level....a bird in the hand is worth two in the bust.....Dougie's defense would be a bigger loss than the Twins would like to think,

Agree on that, Guzman/Rivas are atrocious on defense.

especially if you lose Jones's bat, which they will probably lose some of anyway even if they bring Jones back...

Eh, I still think Jones will be very easy to replace.

Guzman is a guy to watch...didnt play that great this year and next year should go along way towards determining if he is more Alex Rodriguez or more Alex Gonzalez.....Im thinking its Gonzalez with more triples

Guzman played waaaaaaaaaaaaay over his head in 2001. He'll probably keep a .270/.290/.370 line for the rest of his career.