PDA

View Full Version : virtual billboards...

harwar
10-20-2002, 10:38 AM
Am i the only one who finds those virtual billboards that fox is using behind homeplate,annoying,intrusive,disruptive,and down right rude?I forsee a time when the entire infield has a pepsi logo and the bases look like beercans.

WinningUgly!
10-20-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by harwar
Am i the only one who finds those virtual billboards that fox is using behind homeplate,annoying,intrusive,disruptive,and down right rude?I forsee a time when the entire infield has a pepsi logo and the bases look like beercans. Yeah, you'd think the commercials after every 3 outs would be enough. The thing I hate the most about the world series, is the stupid world series logo patches on the sides of the hats.

HawkDJ
10-20-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Yeah, you'd think the commercials after every 3 outs would be enough. The thing I hate the most about the world series, is the stupid world series logo patches on the sides of the hats.

You would't care if the virtual billboards were at Comiskey or the World Series logo was on the side of the Sox hat. :)

RKMeibalane
10-20-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
You would't care if the virtual billboards were at Comiskey or the World Series logo was on the side of the Sox hat. :)

No, he wouldn't. But that won't happen as long as KW is around.

idseer
10-20-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by harwar
Am i the only one who finds those virtual billboards that fox is using behind homeplate,annoying,intrusive,disruptive,and down right rude?I forsee a time when the entire infield has a pepsi logo and the bases look like beercans.

i find ALL advertising annoying, intrusive, disruptive and down right rude!

what's the old saying ... advertising makes everything possible AND impossible at the same time?

WinningUgly!
10-20-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
You would't care if the virtual billboards were at Comiskey or the World Series logo was on the side of the Sox hat. :) It would still bother me, but I think I'd be able to deal with it. :D:

jortafan
10-20-2002, 08:19 PM
I'll be the difficult one here. The virutal billboards don't bother me much. At least no more than any other advertising signboard in a major league ballpark. And no, I don't share the Cubbie cuteness idea that their stadium is special because there's no advertising signage within the confines of the playing field. Somebody's got to pay the bills, and I prefer ads to commercially-named ballparks.

Nellie_Fox
10-20-2002, 11:56 PM
I don't see any problem with them. As far as on TV, they're no worse than actual advertising. Remember all the ads rolled up so they changed every few minutes?

Actually, the virtual ones may be preferable. At least they won't show up in photographs and replays.

34 Inch Stick
10-21-2002, 01:18 PM
The limit will constantly be pushed. In baseball's heyday, from what I have seen in pictures (sorry I was not even a glimmer yet) the walls all had advertisements. It is just a return to those days.

I would not be suprised to see something like bases with advertising in the future.

pudge
10-21-2002, 05:17 PM
It does suck, but to MLB/Fox's credit, they've toned it down from last year's WS.... last year, they had terrible white ads with large faces of actors... I'll never forget Allie McBeal's face or "The Tick" behind homeplate as Randy Johnson was firing a fastball in a clutch moment... The ads this year are not quite as loud and annoying, but still lame. Also, I noticed they pulled the ads in the 9th when the game was close, so MLB/Fox deserves a bit of credit for that. But still, I wish they weren't there.

pudge
10-21-2002, 05:19 PM
Oh, BTW, I highly recommend boycotting any show they advertise... notice how Ally and The Tick didn't last the year... so those WS ads must be *really effective*. I pretty much stopped watching Fox... there's power in numbers.