Viva Magglio
10-17-2002, 01:04 PM
They want more HR production.

Iwritecode
10-17-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

:shammy

What?!? 60 homeruns a year isn't enough anymore?

guillen4life13
10-17-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

lets see. if the cubs get thome, i'm gonna make a poll (if no one beats me to it)

here's what it will be:

Will the Cubs set the major league record for strikeouts in one season?

if thome comes, i'm gonna have to tick "yes"

cheeses_h_rice
10-17-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
lets see. if the cubs get thome, i'm gonna make a poll (if no one beats me to it)

here's what it will be:

Will the Cubs set the major league record for strikeouts in one season?

if thome comes, i'm gonna have to tick "yes"

If only they could get Jose Hernandez back from the Brewers, they'd have a lock on it!

MarkEdward
10-17-2002, 04:04 PM
I really doubt this is true. Hee Sop Choi is ready to play in the majors, and I don't think Jim Hendry, as a former minor league director, is ready to give up on him.

rmusacch
10-17-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I really doubt this is true. Hee Sop Choi is ready to play in the majors, and I don't think Jim Hendry, as a former minor league director, is ready to give up on him.

That is what I was thinking. I thought Hee Sop Choi was the second coming of the Messiah. At least that is what the Flubs would have us believing. Is Fred McGriff a free agent?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-17-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
That is what I was thinking. I thought Hee Sop Choi was the second coming of the Messiah. At least that is what the Flubs would have us believing. Is Fred McGriff a free agent?

I'm not surprised the Flubs would pursue Thome.

There is definitely a "win now" mentality amongst Flubbie management. Apparently McFail and Heinie know the Cubune brass has grown impatient for results on the field, and why not? McFail has been predicting success "just around the corner" for 8 years now.

The Cubune is looking more and more like losers for having bought the Flubs 21 years ago, playing the part of American Sport's biggest corporate buffoons. Their only success has been marketing the Urinal (and Urineville) as a summer-long Mardi Gras for America's morons to partake in. Meanwhile, they've pissed off the local homeowners and their newspaper staff admits their journalistic integrity has been impossibly compromised by corporate ownership of the team.

Flubbie Management is beginning to feel a bit tight around the collar.

:lynch&mcfail
"Gentlemen! We have to protect our phoney baloney jobs!!!"

jortafan
10-17-2002, 06:20 PM
Don't forget that Thome is a downstate Illinois kid who was a Cubs fan as a kid and comes from a family of mis-guided Cubs fools. He's just the kind of guy who would give the Tribune company a discount of sorts in his demands for the "glory" of playing in Cubbie blue, just like Ron Coomer did last year. As far as I'm concerned, it's all the more reason I have no use for the punk.

Lip Man 1
10-17-2002, 08:02 PM
Like it or not, regardless of whether the manuvers translate into wins, the Cubs know how to get the most PR don't they?

Signing Thome would be a coup as well as him being a helluva player.

It doesn't translate into wins, but it sure keeps those ticket sales booming. The Sox should take a lesson here instead of constantly bitching about there fans.

Lip

OfficerKarkovice
10-17-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Like it or not, regardless of whether the manuvers translate into wins, the Cubs know how to get the most PR don't they?

Signing Thome would be a coup as well as him being a helluva player.

It doesn't translate into wins, but it sure keeps those ticket sales booming. The Sox should take a lesson here instead of constantly bitching about there fans.

Lip

That would take spending the cash $$$$$

WinningUgly!
10-17-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
That would take spending the cash $$$$$

I'd love to see Thome on the northside! How long would it take before SamME would start pissing & moaning about losing a good chunk of the sCrUBBY spotlight?

Foulke You
10-18-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I'd love to see Thome on the northside! How long would it take before SamME would start pissing & moaning about losing a good chunk of the sCrUBBY spotlight?

The ironic thing is that I think higher of Thome than Sosa as a hitter. Sammy gets more HRs but Thome hits the homers that count in a game. Thome seems to be more of a difference maker in key situations and not just collecting garbage stats after his team is down 7-0. Thome would also be a terror at Wrigley field with those 368 ft (more like 365 with the Bozo Basket) gaps. He could easily hit 65 playing in that park. I for one wouldn't mind seeing the guy leave the AL Central but would hate to face him at crosstown time.

Hullett_Fan
10-18-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I'm not surprised the Flubs would pursue Thome.

There is definitely a "win now" mentality amongst Flubbie management. Apparently McFail and Heinie know the Cubune brass has grown impatient for results on the field, and why not? McFail has been predicting success "just around the corner" for 8 years now.

Wish we had the 'win-now' mentality on the South Side. Our brass hasn't grown impatient for results....though heaven knows we fans have! :angry:

NewyorkSoxFan
10-18-2002, 11:35 AM
I won't mind seeing hem leave the central division, god knows he has tagged enough of our pitchers over the years.

So you don't want the crime dog anymore so you go get a guy who is the white version of the crime dog? Hmmmm Makes you wonder.

NYSF

RichH55
10-18-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I won't mind seeing hem leave the central division, god knows he has tagged enough of our pitchers over the years.

So you don't want the crime dog anymore so you go get a guy who is the white version of the crime dog? Hmmmm Makes you wonder.

NYSF

I don't think thats fair to Thome in the least....He is putting up better numbers now than Fred did in his prime....and Fred isnt even in his prime anymore. I am one of the people who think Choi is going to be a flop for what they intend him to be, so if they manage to get Thome and then turn Choi into another viable player via trade then they have nicely upgraded their team. I just hope they overspend on a medicre 3B instead of giving Bellhorn the job.,..i think that will hurt them, but Thome would basically be a huge boost

Vsahajpal
10-18-2002, 07:41 PM
I agree, Thome is much better than McGriff ever was.

Why do you think Choi will be a flop?

The Cubs will not go after Thome, just silly speculation

RichH55
10-21-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I agree, Thome is much better than McGriff ever was.

Why do you think Choi will be a flop?

The Cubs will not go after Thome, just silly speculation

The Choi thing is more of a feeling than a concrete from atop the mountaintop sort of thing. He seems to put himself into bad situations( wrist injury wasnt his fault, but dehydration from Mountain Dew?!?) He also has been hyped since A Ball even in the Sun-Times...for some reason that seems to be the kiss of death for Cubs prospects(Orie, Kieshnick)...I think Choi will put up alrighty numbers...but I think he will be a step down from Mcgriff numbers, and Im talking about the Fred of today, not 1993