PDA

View Full Version : Jaret Wright a FA

Paulwny
10-17-2002, 07:21 AM
Should we make an offer?

CLEVELAND (AP) -- The Cleveland Indians declined to pick up their 2003 contract option for pitcher Jaret Wright, a former postseason star whose career has been sidetracked by injuries.

Wright, who has been on the disabled list seven times since 1999, declined to be outrighted and will file for free agency, the Indians said.

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam021016/mlb_cle-ap.html

duke of dorwood
10-17-2002, 08:14 AM
Sounds like prime Ken Williams acquisition material

Dadawg_77
10-17-2002, 08:48 AM
Maybe, our training staff is herald as one of the best in MLB, so why not try it if the price is right. Saying this, Kenny and company shouldn't hold their breath on the fact the Wright or any other injured pitcher will turn it around. Go out and get a prime time starter and if you get Wright and he comes around, its just icing on the cake.

Iwritecode
10-17-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Maybe, our training staff is herald as one of the best in MLB, so why not try it if the price is right. Saying this, Kenny and company shouldn't hold their breath on the fact the Wright or any other injured pitcher will turn it around. Go out and get a prime time starter and if you get Wright and he comes around, its just icing on the cake.

I doubt if we are going to get another Cal Eldred...

voodoochile
10-17-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I doubt if we are going to get another Cal Eldred...

Yeah, Jaret is done. He needs at least 2 years with no throwing to find out if his arm can ever recover. Otherwise, he will never pitch effectively in the majors again, imo...

Dadawg_77
10-17-2002, 12:10 PM
Hey, like say if you think your staff can help him turn him around and you can pick him up cheap, do it. Maybe he comes around, maybe, that is the risk you need to compare to the reward. If he can get his arm healthy, I think he could become a solid pitcher.

Iwritecode
10-17-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
If he can get his arm healthy, I think he could become a solid pitcher.

While true, that's a very very big if. Right now he's probably not worth more than league minimum...

FoulkeFan
10-17-2002, 01:48 PM
Wouldn't two Wrights (Jaret & Danny) make a wrong?

hold2dibber
10-17-2002, 03:03 PM
While we're on the subject of broken-down-but-formerly-effective pitchers, I wouldn't mind the Sox trying to sign Wilson Alvarez to a minor league contract. He is a FA, I believe, and showed some signs of life out of the bullpen for the D-Rays at the end of last year (though he also got shelled a few times). I still think he might be capable of becoming a decent left-handed reliever out of the pen and he might feel comfortable back with the organization with which he started.

gosox41
10-17-2002, 03:03 PM
Knowing Williams, he'll still offer the Indians compensation to sign Wright.

Bob S.

guillen4life13
10-17-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
While we're on the subject of broken-down-but-formerly-effective pitchers, I wouldn't mind the Sox trying to sign Wilson Alvarez to a minor league contract. He is a FA, I believe, and showed some signs of life out of the bullpen for the D-Rays at the end of last year (though he also got shelled a few times). I still think he might be capable of becoming a decent left-handed reliever out of the pen and he might feel comfortable back with the organization with which he started.

but he also may end up being just another Jim Parque (hell, they even had the same jersey numbers).

Alvarez once upon a time was one of the better starters in the majors. now, i think he is best compared to butter.

Originally posted by gosox41
Knowing Williams, he'll still offer the Indians compensation to sign Wright.

Bob S.

Welcome home to your long lost brothers and sisters!