PDA

View Full Version : Sox Claim "justification" To Raise Ticket Prices

Lip Man 1
10-16-2002, 12:53 AM
Paul Sullivan has a story in the Wednesday Tribune, finally quoting some actual members of the Sox front office (Rob Gallas) on the ticket prices situation.

The story says the Sox feel "justified" in raising prices because they need the money to keep fielding a compedetive team, the story also has this in it: "But Sox management believes most Sox fans feel good about the direction the team is headed after a strong finish with the second-youngest roster in the majors."

Bottom line is this, we'll see if the Sox put their money (actually the fans money!) where their mouth is, since I've heard this crap before

If they are in so big a hurry to improve the team, then I assume by Christmas Kenny Williams will have gone out and acquired TWO QUALITY STARTING PITCHERS (and maybe a catcher or center fielder to boot...). Because if he doesn't I can guarentee you Sox fans aren't going to "feel good" about anything other then counting down the days until Reinsdorf leaves the scene and Williams gets fired.

My personal opinion is that the Sox won't do squat in regards to filling their sizable holes. Then they'll come out with the usual smoke and mirrors about having tried but that they just couldn't justify taking on "overblown" salaries.

Helll I can see the press conference right now! (Just like after 2000 and 2001...)

Lip

jortafan
10-16-2002, 08:00 AM
i've got mixed views on the ticket price hikes for '03. As interesting as the Ticket Pricing Guide is, I can't get too worked up over how muchmore ballgames cost now, compared to the mid-1970s when my father first took my brother and I to Comiskey. Thefact is that everything costs more money now than it did back then, and I can see that the white Sox are not any more greedy than any other major league ball club. $29 lower box seats look good compared to teams that charge $35-40 per seat (Cleveland, Seattle), or places like Yankee Stadium that stick people for as much as $60 per seat. So I'll probably just knuckle under and pay the couple extra bucks per game to the 10-12 Sox games I go to each year.
But I share your disgust with the fact that extra revenue is NOT going to (or is highly unlikely to) improve the ballclub on the field.

Cheryl
10-16-2002, 08:44 AM
It's a stupid move from a PR standpoint to raise ticket prices after a crappy season. I don't care if they did start playing ball finally in September, it was still a crappy season. Second place in the worst division in the majors is not anything to be happy about.

Of course I'm shocked, shocked that Gallas and Co. made such a bad move.

steff
10-16-2002, 08:57 AM
Simple soultion...

Don't pay.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled "bitch about everything the White Sox do" programming.

Cheryl
10-16-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by steff3603
Simple soultion...

Don't pay.

That's my plan.

MarqSox
10-16-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl
It's a stupid move from a PR standpoint to raise ticket prices after a crappy season.

Look at the bright side -- the average Sox ticket is still cheaper than the average Brewers ticket. Not that that makes it OK, but instead of attacking Sox management, let's recognize that this is a problem throughout baseball. The Sox aren't special on this.

Cheryl
10-16-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Look at the bright side -- the average Sox ticket is still cheaper than the average Brewers ticket.

So? If Brewers upper management jumped off a cliff, would you expect Sox management to do the same?

All I'm saying is it's another in a long series of bad PR moves. And that I'm so completely disgusted with this organization I don't know if I'll be going to any games next year.

Dan H
10-16-2002, 10:30 AM
Simple soultion...

Don't pay.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled "bitch about everything the White Sox do" programming.

We wouldn't have to bitch if they went to more than one World Series every 83 years.

mrwag
10-16-2002, 10:32 AM
A bleacher seat at Miller costs $10, and they are good seats. Outfield terrace seats are $5. The upper deck seats are also cheaper than Comiskey. Sure, they are competitive on the expensive seats, but a family can attend Brewer games at a much cheaper price tag.

duke of dorwood
10-16-2002, 10:35 AM
It just bothers me that in such difficult financial times, they do this. For those who are fortunate enough to not live check to check, can endure the high utility and fuel prices, and hope you have a job tomorrow, feel free to complain about us who feel that this organization has done nothing to hit us with big increases.

hold2dibber
10-16-2002, 10:42 AM
How would people feel about this solution: the Sox make the $2 - $4 increases on all ticket prices EXCEPT upper deck seats, make all upper deck seats $8, but strictly prevent people with upper deck tickets from going downstairs? I would think that doing so would be a good PR move; "We have to increase some ticket prices, but we're lowering UD seats so that it is still affordable for families." They would probably have to couple this with improvements in the UD (better concessions, maybe a "shower" or some other "fun for the kids" type gimmicks), but there are plenty of good seats available in the UD (virtually all of the seats between first and third are okay, except for maybe the last 5-10 rows, and the first 5-10 rows are okay throughout). One of the problems they have is that lots of people buy the UD seats for the lower price but then take the "Comiskey upgrade."

duke of dorwood
10-16-2002, 11:17 AM
Something like that would be better, especially if they find a way to give those up there "A taste" of what its like in the more expensive areas. The whole baseball picture, from almost striking to price increases are just so ill-timed in this economic climate.

voodoochile
10-16-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
i've got mixed views on the ticket price hikes for '03. As interesting as the Ticket Pricing Guide is, I can't get too worked up over how muchmore ballgames cost now, compared to the mid-1970s when my father first took my brother and I to Comiskey. Thefact is that everything costs more money now than it did back then, and I can see that the white Sox are not any more greedy than any other major league ball club. $29 lower box seats look good compared to teams that charge $35-40 per seat (Cleveland, Seattle), or places like Yankee Stadium that stick people for as much as $60 per seat. So I'll probably just knuckle under and pay the couple extra bucks per game to the 10-12 Sox games I go to each year.
But I share your disgust with the fact that extra revenue is NOT going to (or is highly unlikely to) improve the ballclub on the field.

I'll gladly pay $60 a seat when the Sox perform like the Yankees do. Until then, they should **** about what they think the fans want and need because they obviously have no clue...

voodoochile
10-16-2002, 11:41 AM
That's my plan.

ditto...

maurice
10-16-2002, 11:44 AM
If Brewers upper management jumped off a cliff, would you expect Sox management to do the same?

I don't know if we'd expect it, but we'd certainly be gratified by it. Would the Commish jump also?

:)

Lip Man 1
10-16-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Voodoo:

I'll gladly pay $60 a seat when the Sox perform like the Yankees do. Until then, they should **** about what they think the fans want and need because they obviously have no clue

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!

and Steff weren't you the one who posted on another theme that you weren't going to pay 3200 bucks to upgrade to a club seat? That it wasn't worth it?

A lot of folks (unfortunately) can't afford to even think about having season ticket club seats at any price.

Lip

jortafan
10-16-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
How would people feel about this solution: the Sox make the $2 - $4 increases on all ticket prices EXCEPT upper deck seats, make all upper deck seats $8, but strictly prevent people with upper deck tickets from going downstairs? I would think that doing so would be a good PR move; "We have to increase some ticket prices, but we're lowering UD seats so that it is still affordable for families." They would probably have to couple this with improvements in the UD (better concessions, maybe a "shower" or some other "fun for the kids" type gimmicks), but there are plenty of good seats available in the UD (virtually all of the seats between first and third are okay, except for maybe the last 5-10 rows, and the first 5-10 rows are okay throughout). One of the problems they have is that lots of people buy the UD seats for the lower price but then take the "Comiskey upgrade."

I don't know that it would turn out to be a good PR move. I can already hear all the people who deliberately bought the cheapest seats being told they have to sit up there, rather than stand around the lower deck. They would whine that the Sox security was being a bunch of goons by preventing them from going anywhere in the park they want, and people like Mariotti would have a field day writing about the "fan-unfriendly" White Sox.

Cheryl
10-16-2002, 12:59 PM
I don't know that it would turn out to be a good PR move. I can already hear all the people who deliberately bought the cheapest seats being told they have to sit up there, rather than stand around the lower deck. They would whine that the Sox security was being a bunch of goons by preventing them from going anywhere in the park they want, and people like Mariotti would have a field day writing about the "fan-unfriendly" White Sox.

The Moron aside, most places make you sit in the seats you bought. I would guess you have to sit in the seats you bought at the Urinal. CPII is one of few places I know of that allows the upgrade.

hold2dibber
10-16-2002, 01:03 PM

If they did it, they'd have to publicize in advance that people buying UD seats were going to be stuck in the UD (or in the bullpen bar). As long as everyone understood that up front, I don't think there would be much of a problem.

steff
10-16-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Originally posted by Voodoo:

I'll gladly pay $60 a seat when the Sox perform like the Yankees do. Until then, they should **** about what they think the fans want and need because they obviously have no clue

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!

and Steff weren't you the one who posted on another theme that you weren't going to pay 3200 bucks to upgrade to a club seat? That it wasn't worth it?

Lip

Yep!! Which is why were keeping our season seats right where they are. A baseball game is not worth $40 a seat to me at this time.

Dadawg_77
10-16-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
If they did it, they'd have to publicize in advance that people buying UD seats were going to be stuck in the UD (or in the bullpen bar). As long as everyone understood that up front, I don't think there would be much of a problem.

I am not sure they would, when you buy a ticket you buy a license to watch the game for the spot listed on the ticket. The Sox have probably come to the conclusion it would cost to much to enforce that then just to allow it to happen. Thus if they decide to enforce that tomorrow, I don't see much room for complaining because the Sox by license agreement have the right to enforce where you sit.

hold2dibber
10-16-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I am not sure they would, when you buy a ticket you buy a license to watch the game for the spot listed on the ticket. The Sox have probably come to the conclusion it would cost to much to enforce that then just to allow it to happen. Thus if they decide to enforce that tomorrow, I don't see much room for complaining because the Sox by license agreement have the right to enforce where you sit.

Just because there's no good reason to complain doesn't mean Sox fans won't complain anyway! (Although, if you're a Sox fan, there usually is a good reason to do so.)

HawkDJ
10-16-2002, 05:10 PM
What are people trying to prove by not paying for tickets because they raised the price? All that could come of it is an excuse for a lower payroll and possibly relocation in the future.

If you buy less tickets than before or no tickets at all just because the prices are higher (yet still OK in comparison to other teams) or because the team is worse than you are not a "true" fan IMO. If you have other reasons thats ok.

steff
10-16-2002, 05:15 PM
Ya know what.. they did it because they can this year. For every one person that isn't going to buy tickets.. there are 10 that will. It's all because of the All Star game. Season ticket request are already up 16% over last year. It's simple economics folks. Supply and demand. Who cares about 2004.. they're going to make bank in 2003.

pudge
10-16-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by mrwag
A bleacher seat at Miller costs $10, and they are good seats. Outfield terrace seats are $5. The upper deck seats are also cheaper than Comiskey. Sure, they are competitive on the expensive seats, but a family can attend Brewer games at a much cheaper price tag.

That's exactly my big problem with Sox prices - the far-away seats are so dang expensive... Other clubs get their revenue from the box seats being pricey because they have large crowds, but since the Sox don't have large crowds, they have to take it out on the fans with less money who want the cheap seats, and there are no cheap seats to be had.

nut_stock
10-16-2002, 10:42 PM
Ya know what.. they did it because they can this year. For every one person that isn't going to buy tickets.. there are 10 that will. It's all because of the All Star game. Season ticket request are already up 16% over last year. It's simple economics folks. Supply and demand. Who cares about 2004.. they're going to make bank in 2003.

How do you know that they are up 16%?

hold2dibber
10-17-2002, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by pudge
That's exactly my big problem with Sox prices - the far-away seats are so dang expensive... Other clubs get their revenue from the box seats being pricey because they have large crowds, but since the Sox don't have large crowds, they have to take it out on the fans with less money who want the cheap seats, and there are no cheap seats to be had.

I think the "Comiskey upgrade" has a lot to do with this; if the Sox forced people to sit in the seats they bought, they might be more inclined to keep the far away seats cheap. But as it stands, if they had really low prices for the UD seats, no one would ever buy a downstairs seat (I exagerate a bit) because they could buy the cheap seats and just sneak into the good ones.

Kilroy
10-17-2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by mrwag

Miller park is more than competitive on the expensive seats. A seat on the dugout at MP is $75. At comiskey, the same seat was $28. MP charges almost 200% more for a similar seat. You minimize this point while emphasizing the difference in prices for the UD/bleachers.

Its a double edged sword. While the average guy has to pay more for the "cheap" seats, the average guy also has a much better chance to buy the great seats. Does the average guy ever get to buy courtside seats at a Bulls game? Not at $375 a head.

While I can see that the Sox are taking advantage of the all-star game and demand for seats, I think it's low to raise prices after the season the Sox had...

doublem23
10-17-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
What are people trying to prove by not paying for tickets because they raised the price? All that could come of it is an excuse for a lower payroll and possibly relocation in the future.

If you buy less tickets than before or no tickets at all just because the prices are higher (yet still OK in comparison to other teams) or because the team is worse than you are not a "true" fan IMO. If you have other reasons thats ok.

So I should just stupidly waste my money on the Sox because that's what any true "fan" would do?

**** that, I'll just flush it down the toilet and save myself the three hours I'd have spent at Comiskey.

Cheryl
10-17-2002, 12:24 PM
I get really irritated by people telling me or anyone else what a 'true' fan will or won't do. It's my money, if I don't want to waste it paying down JR's debt while he continues to put a product on the field that doesn't deliver, that's my business.

TornLabrum
10-17-2002, 06:35 PM
The lunacy is that the Sox continue to market themselves to a "family" audience while raising the price of tickets. As I wrote a little while back in my column, this market is being taken over by the four (soon to be five) minor league ball clubs in the greater Chicago area. If you're a family on a budget who are you going to take the kids out to see, the Sox at an average ticket price in the $20 range (not to mention the $13 for parking, and I wouldn't doubt that that increases, too) or one of the minor league clubs with an average ticket price of about $5-6 and free parking?