PDA

View Full Version : Baseball's Top 10 Greatest Upsets

Foulke You
10-15-2002, 11:51 AM
Not sure if anyone has posted this, but ESPN did the top 10 greatest upsets in baseball history. The Hitless Wonder White Sox upset of the mighty Cubs in the 1906 World Series came in at #8.

top 10 upsets (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/baseball/upsets.html)

DVG
10-17-2002, 11:18 PM
:moron

WHAT!!!! The Scum Sox actually beat my Cubbies in the World
Series? HOW? By playing the dirty baseball that is their trade-
mark? By having a horde of knife-wielding fans attack Cubbie
coaches? By playing in an ill-conceived ballpark in a bad neigh-
borhood that decent white folks shouln't go near if they value
their lives? Do you hear me, All Decent White Folks out there
who read my article and have NEVER BEEN WITHIN 100 miles
of the neighborhood? BEWARE!!!!! BEWARE!!!!

And if My Sammy were around, your Scum Sox in their bad ball-
park in that AWFUL, AFWUL neighborhood (DON'T GO THERE!!!)
would never have won that series!!!!!!

SI1020
10-18-2002, 09:34 AM
Even in football crazy Pittsburgh Maz's homer is still the most talked thing in the history of Pittsburgh sports and a big reason IMO why Maz is now in the HOF. Part of the wall of old Forbes Field is still preserved as it was. Every year on Oct 13 fans gather at the spot where Maz's homer went over the wall and listen to the radio broadcast of the 7th game of the 1960 WS. When they get to the part where Maz wins the game the cheers are almost as loud as they were on that day in 1960 and the partying begins just as it did way back then.

Iwritecode
10-18-2002, 09:48 AM
Some things never change:

7. Twins beat Tigers, then Cards, for 1987 championship
The Twins finished the regular season with an 85-77 record, and they were lucky to do so -- opponents outscored them by 20 runs during the season, and statheads will tell you that without luck, the Twins would have been 79-83. Still, they managed to beat the heavily favored Tigers in five games for the AL pennant.

Then came the World Series. Cardinals manager Whitey Herzog, whose team had won 95 regular season games to take the tough NL East over the Mets, suggested that the Twins, if they had been in the NL East or the AL East, would have been a fourth-place club. Too bad, Whitey. The Twins had heart, and they had the Metrodome, which the Sporting News described as "a baseball purist's nightmare with its Teflon roof, lighting and acoustical problems, artificial turf and trash-can lining serving as a right-field wall."

Have the Twins ever been good or have they just always been lucky?