PDA

View Full Version : Tribune says "diminished skills clause" will be invoked

DVG
10-15-2002, 07:13 AM
An article in the Tribune says that the White Sox are ready to
invoke the diminished skills clause in Frank Thomas' contract.
I guess Jerry Reinsdorf won't be happy until he has alienated
every single fan. Well, count me amongst those who will not
set foot in Comiskey Park next year if Thomas is gone. It would
be especially bad if Thomas regains his old form and hits his 400th and possibly 500th home runs in another uniform. I know
he had a subpar year batting average-wise, but he still put up
good numbers and showed signs of being his old self in September.

The worst and bitterest pill to swallow would be the reaction of
the fawning, Cub-loving, Sammy-worshipping media. No doubt
they'll be quite happy. Most especially that fat, little butterball
jackass Goffyotti. He'll barely be able to restrain himself. He'll
write of course, that Thomas has done "nothing" in five years
(his 1998 an 1999 numbers weren't horrible, and he had a mon-
ster 2000 season, but the Goof is determined to make his
readers forget about that.) and that it's about time that the
team rid itself of the Thomas "cancer." His underlying motive?
Who knows. Maybe Thomas said he was a bad writer, called
him fat or was upset over a rip job. Anyway, the Cub-worshipping
dolt's fondest desire (besides seeing the White Sox move and
leave the town to his Cubbies) is about to come true. I guess
he feels that Frank's personality makes him unworthy to have the skills that he has.

I konw that some people on this board are not big Thomas fans
and will probably be happy to see him go, thinking it will im-
prove the club. I disagree. I also feel that the best player in franchise history deserves better than this.

:moron

The no-account minimum-wager is leaving!!! My Sammy stands
alone!!! Oh, JOY!!!! Oh, happy day!!! Tra-la, tra-la!!!!

wassagstdu
10-15-2002, 08:48 AM
The best hitter in franchise history.

MrX
10-15-2002, 08:49 AM
the thing that really gets me mad about this, besides the whole dumping the best player in franchise history thing, is this comes a few days after they announce the ticket price increase. I don't know about anyone else, but thier is no way I'm going to pay more money this coming season to watch Jeff Liefer K 2-3 per game. I can't wait to here the spin management is going to put on this. Morons. :angry: :angry: :angry:

hold2dibber
10-15-2002, 08:56 AM
The article says that the clause has been/will be invoked, BUT, that the Sox will not seek to reduce Frank's salary down to $250,000 (as they have the contractual right to do) but instead will pay him about $5 million annually and defer the rest. (This doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me in light of my understanding that he's only being paid $6 million per year now, with the rest deferred). If that is in fact true, I doubt Frank will get a better deal on the open market (total contract value of $40 million, $5 million per year for 2003-06 plus another $20 million deferred), in which case he will likely return (at least I hope so). Based on Frank's comments at the end of the year (that he wanted to stay with the Sox to add to his legacy and that he'd be crazy to leave guaranteed money on the table) plus the fact that the Sox apparently do not intend to ratchet his annual salary down to a level that would humiliate Frank, suggests to me that they want him back but they want to add some payroll flexibility. This, in my opinion, would be the best of both worlds for Sox fans. Frank stays, but the team frees up more money to improve (of course, if JR uses the money he saves to put an addition on his mansion or to pay down the Sox' debt, that would be another story altogether). There is some risk, I suppose, that Frank will get a better deal and will bolt, which would be heart breaking (and not just because my 7 year old already has a number 35 White Sox uniform for Halloween). But it sounds to me like the Sox are doing the best thing for the club; deferring enough of Frank's money to give the team more payroll flexibility while not deferring so much that he'd be inclined to leave. I've got my fingers crossed.

jortafan
10-15-2002, 09:01 AM
they'll probably claim this is the only way they can seriously afford to keep Mark Buerhle and/or Paul Konerko for the long-term. Of course, it wouldn't shock me if those two become so disgusted in the next couple of years that they bolt for new teams once they get the chance.
And to those pinheads who believe that Thomas should leave, all I have to say is that 28 HR, 92 RBI and 99 BB doesn't sound like a "diminished Player" to me. A lot of major leaguers would love to have those stats, even with a .252 BA.
What is most appalling to me is that the White Sox do have a talented ballclub in a weak division. Management that is worth a damn could easily turn it into a legitimate pennant contender for '03 with a couple of moves for pitching. Instead, they seem to be surrendering the division to Carl Pohlad's band of weasels.

Dadawg_77
10-15-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
they'll probably claim this is the only way they can seriously afford to keep Mark Buerhle and/or Paul Konerko for the long-term. Of course, it wouldn't shock me if those two become so disgusted in the next couple of years that they bolt for new teams once they get the chance.
And to those pinheads who believe that Thomas should leave, all I have to say is that 28 HR, 92 RBI and 99 BB doesn't sound like a "diminished Player" to me. A lot of major leaguers would love to have those stats, even with a .252 BA.
What is most appalling to me is that the White Sox do have a talented ballclub in a weak division. Management that is worth a damn could easily turn it into a legitimate pennant contender for '03 with a couple of moves for pitching. Instead, they seem to be surrendering the division to Carl Pohlad's band of weasels.

If they did this to keep Konerko, the front office is filled with complete and total morons. Even with a very bad Frank year and great year for Paul, their stats are a wash. Their OPS are within .005 of each other, the doubles and hr are with single digits. And as Frank get his stroke back, which he should next season he will put up a lot better number that Paul will. Freakin idiots are running the Sox.

MrX
10-15-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
This doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me in light of my understanding that he's only being paid $6 million per year now, with the rest deferred

:reinsy
When have you ever known of one of my stooges or myself to do something that makes sense?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2002, 10:06 AM

I'm sure the spin on this one will be to make payroll headroom to sign the team's young stars. Of course ANYTHING you do to save money can be used for that purpose. There is no news in this.

Who honestly believes the Sox will use any of their savings (whether from Frank Thomas or anyplace else) to field a championship-caliber team? We finished with 81 wins, two years removed from winning 95, and sinking fast.

Also, I completely agree with your assessment of the division race. Reinsdorf is perfectly content to let Pohlad's band of weasels win it by default. Starting pitching costs money, and JR refuses to pay the going rate. We're screwed.

If Reinsdorf can't do it on the cheap, he won't do it at all. Isn't that the lesson we Sox Fans have learned?

hold2dibber
10-15-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I'm sure the spin on this one will be to make payroll headroom to sign the team's young stars. Of course ANYTHING you do to save money can be used for that purpose. There is no news in this.

Who honestly believes the Sox will use any of their savings (whether from Frank Thomas or anyplace else) to field a championship-caliber team? We finished with 81 wins, two years removed from winning 95, and sinking fast.

Also, I completely agree with your assessment of the division race. Reinsdorf is perfectly content to let Pohlad's band of weasels win it by default. Starting pitching costs money, and JR refuses to pay the going rate. We're screwed.

If Reinsdorf can't do it on the cheap, he won't do it at all. Isn't that the lesson we Sox Fans have learned?

I agree to a point - JR has shown, on occassion, the willingness to spend big $ for an acquisition. Unfortunately, other than Fisk, virtually every such acquisition has been a failure (see Navarro, Jamie; Belle, Albert; and Wells, David), which probably makes him even more reluctant to take the plunge. Nonetheless, with the All-Star game coming, much payroll cleared from last year's opening day roster and a weak division, this off-season may be another example of that, as KW has gone on record repeatedly as saying he is going to try to acquire a no. 2 starter. Of course, last off-season Todd Ritchie was the "no. 2" starter KW acquired, so I'm expecting Jason Bere or Steve Parris this time around.

Iwritecode
10-15-2002, 10:55 AM
Just FYI, I heard over the weekend that FT has hired a new agent and they are supposed to talk to the Sox management about restructuring his contract somehow. This could be the aggreement they came to. 5 million a year with the rest deferred is pretty good since he will still get the full amount of his contract. Then management can take the money and lock up some of the younger guys like Burly and Konerko and go out and aquire some key veteran pitching to lead us to the 2003 AL central title. Like some have mentioned, I'm worried about what they will do with the money. Either reduce debt, or end up with another disaster like Wells or Navarro or Ritchie...

voodoochile
10-15-2002, 12:10 PM
I agree to a point - JR has shown, on occassion, the willingness to spend big $ for an acquisition. Unfortunately, other than Fisk, virtually every such acquisition has been a failure (see Navarro, Jamie; Belle, Albert; and Wells, David), which probably makes him even more reluctant to take the plunge. Nonetheless, with the All-Star game coming, much payroll cleared from last year's opening day roster and a weak division, this off-season may be another example of that, as KW has gone on record repeatedly as saying he is going to try to acquire a no. 2 starter. Of course, last off-season Todd Ritchie was the "no. 2" starter KW acquired, so I'm expecting Jason Bere or Steve Parris this time around.

The problem is that JR will only spend on one big-money player. Teams like the Yankees acquire them by the boatload and let the team work it out as to who plays where and when. JR needs to loosen up the purse strings for a couple of years and see what happens. There is still a talented core on this team. It won't take many players to make them serioius pennant contenders, but if JR thinks he can do it on the cheap or by cutting salary or lowballing "the help" he is once again sadly mistaken. If JR would stop signing fat pitchers (isn't that the reason that he let Alvarez and Fernandez go?) and surly sluggers he might just get his money's worth. Sign some more guys like Manos, Konehead and Burly-Mon - players who carry a lunch pail and are natural born leaders - guys who don't care if THEY get the W just so long as the team does.

Lip Man 1
10-15-2002, 12:53 PM
It will be interesting to see what transpires over the off season.

If history is an indication of the future, I'm sure when all is said and done, the Sox will find some way to screw things up.

After all that's the "White Sox way..."

Then of course when they have butchered things, they'll blame the fans.

Sigh.....

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2002, 01:33 PM
I agree to a point - JR has shown, on occassion, the willingness to spend big $ for an acquisition. Unfortunately, other than Fisk, virtually every such acquisition has been a failure (see Navarro, Jamie; Belle, Albert; and Wells, David), which probably makes him even more reluctant to take the plunge....

Just for the record, David Wells came to the Sox in a trade of #1 pitchers. His salary was only marginally more than the one Sirotka was earning before he was removed from the payroll. Also, the signing of Navarro was coupled with the loss of Kevin Tapani, so the marginal price was quite low, too. The less said about the Todd Ritchie trade, the better. :smile:

As for Belle, the signing never made any sense. After losing #1 Jack McDowell and #2 Alex Fernandez the prior two seasons, the '97 Sox were in desperate need of pitching help, not run support. In fact, if the Sox had simply held onto Julio Franco in 1995 (at a far lower price), signing Albert Belle would have been redundant.

So why did Reinsdorf spend $55 million on the biggest free agent of the 1996-97 class? He wasn't trying to win a championship (he scuttled the team 8 months later), and I doubt he intended to make friends with the fans either (fan-friendly Albert Belle? Come on!).

Signing Belle inorder to cripple our nearest division rival doesn't make sense either. Belle wasn't going back to Cleveland; their GM had already announced he was giving up on re-signing him. Belle's demands were so over the top, even the fans in Cleveland didn't want him anymore, LOL! They applauded Hart for the move and immediately started throwing batteries at Belle.

Sign Albert Belle for boxcar numbers to ensure a Sox championship? Let's get real!

I remember the prediction I made on the email list the day the Belle signing was announced. I predicted Reinsdorf was punishing his fellow owners for caving into the players' union. It was the surest sign the labor impasse was about to end. Sure enough, two weeks later a labor deal was struck. If the other owners wouldn't give JR what he wanted, he would spite them by showing them how much money he could spend--setting off the next round of payroll inflation. Making the Sox champions had nothing to do with it.

Yes, the last big effort by Jerry Reinsdorf to field a championship-caliber White Sox team was the signing of free agent Carlton Fisk. That was March, 1981. No trades. No salary dumps. Just a plain upgrade to the team's existing talent.

Is it too much to ask for him to try more than once per generation?

yyz
10-15-2002, 01:33 PM
I actually think what was described in Paul Sullivan's article makes a lot of sense. Instead of $6.3mm now and $4mm deferred, they pay Frank $5mm now and $5.3mm deferred. This is quite fair to Frank (given his current production and that they didn't invoke the clause last year when they could have), and frees up some money for signing the rest of the guys.

What I don't understand is why Paul Sullivan decided to spin it as a slap in the face to Frank rather than a reasonable compromise, which is what it is.

I'm not a KW fan, but assuming this reporting is correct, KW and JR have made a wise decision that will result in Frank being back next year.

hold2dibber
10-15-2002, 02:10 PM
Just for the record, David Wells came to the Sox in a trade of #1 pitchers. His salary was only marginally more than the one Sirotka was earning before he was removed from the payroll. Also, the signing of Navarro was coupled with the loss of Kevin Tapani, so the marginal price was quite low, too. The less said about the Todd Ritchie trade, the better. :smile:

Are you certain of the difference between Wells' and Sirotka's 2001 salary? I thought Wells made about $8.25 million last year, and I'd be shocked if Sirotka made even half of that.

As to your other comments, I agree whole heartedly. And the fact that the Navarro signing and (apparently) the Wells trade only marginally increased the payroll may further suggest that the Sox will add payroll to fill a rotation spot in the off season; after all, the Sox have trimmed well over $16 million from last year's opening day payroll (Durham $6.3 mm, Alomar $2.4 mm, Lofton $1.25 mm, Howry $1.6 mm, Clayton $4 mm, Parque $1 mm, and, reportedly, about $1.3 mm off of Frank's salary; also, possibly, Ritchie $3.25 mm). Although raises to other players may eat up a significant portion of that savings, there should be ample room to add a high salaried pitcher and only marginally increase the payroll as compared to opening day last year.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2002, 02:26 PM
Are you certain of the difference between Wells' and Sirotka's 2001 salary? I thought Wells made about $8.25 million last year, and I'd be shocked if Sirotka made even half of that...

IIRC, Sirotka was re-signed sometime during the 1999 season. His salary wasn't anything special. The signing was more noteworthy because the Sox hadn't gone to the eleventh hour in negotiations, and were offering a multi-year deal to a pitcher. Isn't it funny how you can make "news" simply by lowering everybody's expectations? :smile:

But to your point, yes, Sirotka's salary was relatively low. Adding Wells was at direct expense to keeping Sirotka. That's why the marginal value of adding Wells was significantly less than it otherwise would have been towards upgrading the team's championship aspirations.

For a true championship-inspired acquisition, you have to go back to Carlton Fisk in 1981. JR has been working the angles ever since.
:angry:

Dadawg_77
10-15-2002, 02:27 PM
Some stats I worked up on Frank. The base numbers were provided by ESPN.com. Last year power number ratios were about the close to Frank's career ratio. The 2003 predictions, use Frank's career ratios, with various batting avg to try and guess what he will produce next year. Another telling stat is Frank's ground ball/ fly ball ratio. Every time he has hit below .300 his G/
F have been below .70. This year it was .40 for clarity means for every 40 ground ball he hits, he has hit 100 Fly balls. This was a career low for him, with him usually in the .9s or higher. This indicates that Frank's low avg was due not to so much a diminishing skills, since his power and other number are about the same, but something mechanical in his swing which caused him to get under the ball. Frank may of corrected the flaw in his swing in Sept, as his batting avg was .359. Also his career high in strikeouts 115, could also mean Frank was pressing at the plate, which help him hit into pop ups. Franks Plate Appearance per Strikeout fell from a high of 5.7 PA/K to 5.0 from Aug to Sep, season avg was 5.3. If Frank can increase his G/F ratio by hitting more ground balls, his avg should go up, thus he should hit more HR and drive in more runs.

Huisj
10-15-2002, 02:36 PM
it could also be that recovering from a torn tricep when you're big guy in your mid 30's takes time, and he simply wasn't really fully 100% for most of the year. Even if the muscle healed, it still seems like that sort of injury could have after effects for a long time.

pudge
10-15-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
it could also be that recovering from a torn tricep when you're big guy in your mid 30's takes time, and he simply wasn't really fully 100% for most of the year. Even if the muscle healed, it still seems like that sort of injury could have after effects for a long time.

Your bat also slows down significantly after 30, unless you're Barry Bonds...

Dadawg_77
10-15-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Huisj

Could be but Frank put up decent power number during the season, so it didn't seem like he lack power in his swing in June or July. Maybe he changed in swing to compensate for injury to get more power, which caused him troubles in getting under the ball.

pudge
10-15-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by yyz
I actually think what was described in Paul Sullivan's article makes a lot of sense. Instead of $6.3mm now and $4mm deferred, they pay Frank $5mm now and $5.3mm deferred. This is quite fair to Frank (given his current production and that they didn't invoke the clause last year when they could have), and frees up some money for signing the rest of the guys.

What I don't understand is why Paul Sullivan decided to spin it as a slap in the face to Frank rather than a reasonable compromise, which is what it is.

I'm not a KW fan, but assuming this reporting is correct, KW and JR have made a wise decision that will result in Frank being back next year.

This is one of the most reasonable posts I've ever seen on this site. Frankly, (no pun intended) I think JR is a genious for putting that clause in there... If Frank remains an All-Star, then JR has a relatively cheap $10mil All-Star.... If not, then he can slash the salary and defer the money. In the end, nobody is going to match what Thomas could get with the Sox anyway, and if they do, then good luck with an expensive DH who tends to be a head case and who's production continues to slip. If he sticks around, then we get him at a cheaper price. Whether we actually *use* the extra money to sign other players, well that's a whole 'nother story...

hold2dibber
10-15-2002, 03:02 PM
IIRC, Sirotka was re-signed sometime during the 1999 season. His salary wasn't anything special. The signing was more noteworthy because the Sox hadn't gone to the eleventh hour in negotiations, and were offering a multi-year deal to a pitcher. Isn't it funny how you can make "news" simply by lowering everybody's expectations? :smile:

But to your point, yes, Sirotka's salary was relatively low. Adding Wells was at direct expense to keeping Sirotka. That's why the marginal value of adding Wells was significantly less than it otherwise would have been towards upgrading the team's championship aspirations.

For a true championship-inspired acquisition, you have to go back to Carlton Fisk in 1981. JR has been working the angles ever since.
:angry:

I think I get it - your original point was not about the payroll implications of Wells-for-Sirotka, but instead is about the implications in terms of upgrading the roster (Wells at his best being only marginally better than Sirotka at his best).

I agree that since the Fisk acquisition, the Sox have done little to suggest that they're serious about winning a championship (one possible exception - the Seaver acquisition before the '84 campaign).

jortafan
10-15-2002, 03:07 PM
the more I think about this, the more irritated I get. If Frank already was allowing $4M to be deferred, how does it really benefit the White Sox financially to do this. I don't see that an extra $1 million is going to help much. this really seems like it's more intended to make him irritated enough to leave, thereby clearing his salary out altogether. It would almost serve the Sox right to have Frank go to the Yankees and help them recover their glory. After all, didn't Frank play a non-speaking part as a hot-hitting Yankee prospect in the movie Mr. Baseball?

hold2dibber
10-15-2002, 04:30 PM
the more I think about this, the more irritated I get. If Frank already was allowing $4M to be deferred, how does it really benefit the White Sox financially to do this. I don't see that an extra $1 million is going to help much. this really seems like it's more intended to make him irritated enough to leave, thereby clearing his salary out altogether. It would almost serve the Sox right to have Frank go to the Yankees and help them recover their glory. After all, didn't Frank play a non-speaking part as a hot-hitting Yankee prospect in the movie Mr. Baseball?

I couldn't disagree more. I think they're trying to cut as much as they can without irritating him so much that he'll leave. If they truly did want him to leave, why wouldn't they exercise the DSC to the full extent allowed by the contract (i.e., knock his annual salary down to $250,000), or at least knock it done so much as to humiliate him? I agree that reducing his annual salary down by only $1.3 million doesn't do much in terms of the bottom line, but it certainly seems unlikely that the purpose of doing so is to chase him out of town.

ihatethecubs
10-15-2002, 05:47 PM
how come everyone seems to forget that frank thomas RIPPED HIS GOD DAMN TRICEP!!!!!! he couldnt brush his teeth at one point and a few months later he hits .250 with almost 30 hrs 100 rbi. give him a break, it was a major injury and he needed time to get back to normal.
i support frank until i'm dead.

Lip Man 1
10-15-2002, 06:25 PM
This and that.....

A. Yes, Thomas did have a role in Mr. Baseball. I particularly remember him crushing balls in batting practice. I also remember shuddering at the thought of him in a Yankee uniform.

B. Everyone talks about the Fisk move but Reinsdorf actually authorized TWO good moves each of the first three years he owned the team. (re: 81- Fisk and Luzinski. 82- Kemp and Paciorek 83- Bannister and Cruz.) These were either free agent signings or sharp trades.

Bannister's signing was particularly noteworthy because the Sox beat out 16 other clubs for his services. He was without question the top free agent pitcher available (He led the league in strikeouts in 82,) and the signing so upset George Steinbrenner that he publicly commented how he regretted not voting for Edward Debartolo to own the Sox, in the wake of what Reinsdorf was doing.

Bannister also pitched very well for the Sox for the life of his five year deal before the Sox traded him to Kansas City. (Something Reinsdorf has obviously forgotten about since he won't sign pitchers anymore, claiming they always get hurt.)

This begs the question. What happened to turn Reinsdorf off on trying to win?

Lip

StepsInSC
10-15-2002, 08:22 PM
yahoo has posted the following

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=531&e=1&cid=531&u=/ap/20021015/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_white_sox_thomas

mrwag
10-15-2002, 09:32 PM
It's going to be a sad day when I see Frank in a non-Sox uniform. And an angry one, too.

RKMeibalane
10-15-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by mrwag
It's going to be a sad day when I see Frank in a non-Sox uniform. And an angry one, too.

I know what you mean.

Maggliosfan09
10-15-2002, 10:40 PM
yeah i may go where frank goes and just be a frank fan i've been a frank fan since i can remeber i remember getting his autograph when i was 6 i was soooo happy. i loved frank so much then and i always will be a frank fan. what white sox fan won't always be a frank fan?

Lip Man 1
10-16-2002, 01:42 AM
By the way, the 9PM Mountain time ESPN Sportscenter tonight (Tuesday) failed to mention AT ALL the Thomas situation.

They simply ignored it.

Lip

Jerry_Manuel
10-16-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
By the way, the 9PM Mountain time ESPN Sportscenter tonight (Tuesday) failed to mention AT ALL the Thomas situation.

They simply ignored it.

Lip

There's nothing to say.

He's still a member of the team, and you have no confirmation from either Thomas or the front office.

Foulke You
10-16-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
This and that.....

A. Yes, Thomas did have a role in Mr. Baseball. I particularly remember him crushing balls in batting practice. I also remember shuddering at the thought of him in a Yankee uniform.

B. Everyone talks about the Fisk move but Reinsdorf actually authorized TWO good moves each of the first three years he owned the team. (re: 81- Fisk and Luzinski. 82- Kemp and Paciorek 83- Bannister and Cruz.) These were either free agent signings or sharp trades.

Bannister's signing was particularly noteworthy because the Sox beat out 16 other clubs for his services. He was without question the top free agent pitcher available (He led the league in strikeouts in 82,) and the signing so upset George Steinbrenner that he publicly commented how he regretted not voting for Edward Debartolo to own the Sox, in the wake of what Reinsdorf was doing.

Bannister also pitched very well for the Sox for the life of his five year deal before the Sox traded him to Kansas City. (Something Reinsdorf has obviously forgotten about since he won't sign pitchers anymore, claiming they always get hurt.)

This begs the question. What happened to turn Reinsdorf off on trying to win?

Lip

Reinsy did approve those trades but I'd rather give credit to Roland Hemond. It hurts me to give Reinsy credit for anything :D: