PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Stix

jortafan
10-14-2002, 01:09 PM
I'm wondering if I am the only person who is completely annoyed at the concept of Thunder Stix?
Those inflatable noise makers gave me a headache, and made it virtually impossible for me to watch more than five minutes at a time of any Anaheim playoff game, or of Sunday night's Giants/Cardinals matchup. I can still hear the echo of the clomping ringing in my head.
The thought of up to seven World Series games with that perpetual thumpa, thumpa, thumpa going on has me dreading the Fall Classic.
Has anyone here ever seen or heard anything more annoying in a major league ballpark? (Minor League hi-jinks don't count in my mind, since the fans admit they're being overly hokey).
And what is the appropriate response on our part when some fool gets the bright idea to introduce the stix to fans at Comiskey? Do we go so far as to hand deliver the mopes to the Legue family for a beating? Do we just mock them?
Or am I over-reacting to this? I really am curious to know what all of you think.

hold2dibber
10-14-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
I'm wondering if I am the only person who is completely annoyed at the concept of Thunder Stix?
Those inflatable noise makers gave me a headache, and made it virtually impossible for me to watch more than five minutes at a time of any Anaheim playoff game, or of Sunday night's Giants/Cardinals matchup. I can still hear the echo of the clomping ringing in my head.
The thought of up to seven World Series games with that perpetual thumpa, thumpa, thumpa going on has me dreading the Fall Classic.
Has anyone here ever seen or heard anything more annoying in a major league ballpark? (Minor League hi-jinks don't count in my mind, since the fans admit they're being overly hokey).
And what is the appropriate response on our part when some fool gets the bright idea to introduce the stix to fans at Comiskey? Do we go so far as to hand deliver the mopes to the Legue family for a beating? Do we just mock them?
Or am I over-reacting to this? I really am curious to know what all of you think.

They're pretty annoying, but no more annoying than the Homer Hankies or the Tomahawk Chop. If they introduce them at Comiskey, I'll just do what I do every time somewhat starts the wave -- bite my tongue so hard that it bleeds so I don't end up in a fracas.

bc2k
10-14-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by jortafan

Those noise makers seem pretty weak to me. I rememer thinking that they were inflatable (like those arm wings you wore in the pool as a kid) until one announcer said they were made of plastic. They don't bother me because I think clapping is louder than those things.
The only crowd noise that bothered me were the cowbells of the Sacramento Kings fans. Although I did think it was funny to hear Phil Jackson bitch and moan about them.
So to answer you question, the Sox should sell cowbells when we're in the Fall Classic next year.
Finally we will know what purpose the upper deck serves; to reverberate cow bell noise back onto the field, giving the Sox an advantage. Intangable edge - White Sox.

Hullett_Fan
10-14-2002, 01:22 PM
And what is the appropriate response on our part when some fool gets the bright idea to introduce the stix to fans at Comiskey?
Gallas is on the phone now. Look for them on opening day. :D:

While they be fun for the kids, (IMO) I don't see how any right-minded adult can sit there banging those things togther. Same goes for Tomahawk Chop, Homer Hankies, etc, etc.

Nellie_Fox
10-14-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
I rememer thinking that they were inflatable (like those arm wings you wore in the pool as a kid) until one announcer said they were made of plastic. Thunder stix are inflatable, and they are plastic, just like the floaties you describe. They were giving them out at some hockey games here at Minnesota State last season. They're better than fans just sitting on their hands.

jortafan
10-14-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Those noise makers seem pretty weak to me. I rememer thinking that they were inflatable (like those arm wings you wore in the pool as a kid) until one announcer said they were made of plastic. They don't bother me because I think clapping is louder than those things.

perhaps I should clarify one point. I don't have a problem with loud noise coming from the stands. It's the thought of everybody in the stands expected to bang those things in unison, like they're sheep who can't think for themselves and figure out the high- and low-points of a ballgame.

I also just learned that those things have crept their way into Chicago sports. Apparently, the Fire soccer team gave them out to fans who bothered to make the trek out to Naperville to see their games. All the more reason, in my book, to keep them out of Comiskey.

Iwritecode
10-14-2002, 01:46 PM
Nothing can be more annoying than that idiot beating that stupid drum in Cleveland. He's worse than a whole stadium of Thunder Stix...

HawkDJ
10-14-2002, 02:50 PM
I like them. They are much better than rally socks, or rally towels or rally monkeys. One of my friends has a pair and it is pretty nice actually.

Dadawg_77
10-14-2002, 03:24 PM
They gave them out at the Chicago Wolves playoff games this year. Maybe the Sox should bring them in, the Wolves did win whatever championship they play for.

Actually I kind of like them since they help bring the crowd more into the game. I was reading the Water Cooler guy over on ESPN Page Two this afternoon, and he talks about the sticks,

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/murphy/021014.html

doublem23
10-14-2002, 03:56 PM
A) I think any of you who can't bare to watch baseball because of the thunder sticks are overreacting and...

B) They're cool... Whatever adds noise, man. It's baseball, not golf.

sox_fan_forever
10-14-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
A) I think any of you who can't bare to watch baseball because of the thunder sticks are overreacting and...

B) They're cool... Whatever adds noise, man. It's baseball, not golf.

I agree with you.

Streets
10-14-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Nothing can be more annoying than that idiot beating that stupid drum in Cleveland. He's worse than a whole stadium of Thunder Stix...

I hate that drum! I have to watch games on mute when the Sox play @ Cleveland. It is, by far, the most annoying thing out there.
I used those thunder stix at the Womens World Cup back in '99. I think it's a great way to get all the fans involved, and yes, it is better than having people not clapping at all.

StepsInSC
10-15-2002, 08:12 PM
Personally I don't understand what the fuss is. The only good argument against them is they obstruct the view of people behind them. Seems like the people who get pissed off by them are the same people who for some reason hate the wave, which in turn seems to be the people who come to the ballpark to get ****-faced and then yell obscenties, and forget that the park is supposed to be a family atmosphere. Like a previous poster said, its baseball not golf. Beats throwing beer bottles on the field.

foulkesfan11
10-15-2002, 11:38 PM
I think they're goofy looking & annoying. When the game was in Anaheim, I could maybe see it because it looked like a sea of red. However, when fans in San Francisco had them. It was stupid looking. I think if people are going to use the stix, they should at least be the color of the home team.

I hope they don't come to Chicago.

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Seems like the people who get pissed off by them are the same people who for some reason hate the wave, which in turn seems to be the people who come to the ballpark to get ****-faced and then yell obscenties, and forget that the park is supposed to be a family atmosphere. Nice generalizations. I don't care one way or the other about thunder stix, but I can't stand the wave. People doing the wave are paying no attention to the game, just watching for the stupid thing to come around to them again so they can jump up and throw their hands in the air. It has nothing to do with the game or the action on the field. It's not like they do it to celebrate; they keep doing it no matter what's happening in the game. At least the thunder stix are used to celebrate or encourage. And I don't go to games to get drunk and yell obscenities. Ergo, none of your generalizations hold.

Enjoy doing the wave.

Jerry_Manuel
10-16-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Oh yeah, someone needs to pound on that guy.

Paulwny
10-16-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
People doing the wave are paying no attention to the game, just watching for the stupid thing to come around to them again so they can jump up and throw their hands in the air. It has nothing to do with the game or the action on the field. It's not like they do it to celebrate; they keep doing it no matter what's happening in the game. .

Agree! The only place the wave fits in is at soccer games.

doublem23
10-17-2002, 12:17 PM
Nice generalizations. I don't care one way or the other about thunder stix, but I can't stand the wave. People doing the wave are paying no attention to the game, just watching for the stupid thing to come around to them again so they can jump up and throw their hands in the air. It has nothing to do with the game or the action on the field. It's not like they do it to celebrate; they keep doing it no matter what's happening in the game. At least the thunder stix are used to celebrate or encourage. And I don't go to games to get drunk and yell obscenities. Ergo, none of your generalizations hold.

Enjoy doing the wave.

Oh, God, yes.... I detest the wave. When I went to a game in Boston, some drunken fool was trying to get my section to do the wave, and, literally, for 3 innings, no one was watching the action on the field but watching that buffoon scream, "1..... 2.... 3!!!" and then watching everyone jump up and down.

StepsInSC
10-17-2002, 09:06 PM
Nice generalizations. I don't care one way or the other about thunder stix, but I can't stand the wave. People doing the wave are paying no attention to the game, just watching for the stupid thing to come around to them again so they can jump up and throw their hands in the air. It has nothing to do with the game or the action on the field. It's not like they do it to celebrate; they keep doing it no matter what's happening in the game. At least the thunder stix are used to celebrate or encourage. And I don't go to games to get drunk and yell obscenities. Ergo, none of your generalizations hold.

For one thing I dont participate in the wave, I havn't since I was 8 years old, but I dont care if other people do it. And personally I dont see why it matters if other people are paying attention. And yes that was a poor generalization on my part, but then again I live about 1500 miles away from you and cant speak for the Chicago area...

I love baseball but it can be boring at times, guess some people need the wave to keep them awake.

AMestan
10-17-2002, 09:57 PM
What's next, Stephan leading the cheers with his Thunder Sticks? We used to go to the Park and make our own fun, now it's planned for us. I'm sick of the sound effects and cheesy promotions. The SIMPLETONS could hang out on Addison St (actually they can have Lakeview and Lincoln Park). If Gallas distributes the stupid Thunder Stick's I will personally assult anyone near me who uses them.

I'm sorry we used to laugh small town trends, now it's acceptable,
give me a break. The Angels game looked like a Nebraska football game with everyone wearing red. I hope there are some Chicagoans left before Gallas turns the Park into a suburban High School pep rally.

Keep the Thunder Stick away from 35th St, the South Side and the West Side.

foulkesfan11
10-17-2002, 10:15 PM
Personally I don't understand what the fuss is. The only good argument against them is they obstruct the view of people behind them. Seems like the people who get pissed off by them are the same people who for some reason hate the wave, which in turn seems to be the people who come to the ballpark to get ****-faced and then yell obscenties, and forget that the park is supposed to be a family atmosphere. Like a previous poster said, its baseball not golf. Beats throwing beer bottles on the field.

The wave is retarded but that's not why I don't like the stix. The reason I don't like the sitx has nothing to do with why I hate the wave. I think giving a bunch of drunks things to hit people with is a dumb move.

AMestan
10-17-2002, 10:35 PM
To my friend in South Carolina:

As I said in my first reply. Keep them away from 35th St, the South Side and the West Side. You can have them in California, Addison St, or South Carolina. Don't equate drinking with profanity and stupidity. At the old Park if you didn't understand baseball or didn't know how to drink you were just called a jerk.
I understood that when I was a kid in the late sixities and early seventies.

You have to understand baseball in Bridgeport or the Bronx is different from Southern California or South Carolina. People are different, the attitude is different.

Good luck in school.

Foulke You
10-18-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by AMestan
What's next, Stephan leading the cheers with his Thunder Sticks? We used to go to the Park and make our own fun, now it's planned for us. I'm sick of the sound effects and cheesy promotions. The SIMPLETONS could hang out on Addison St (actually they can have Lakeview and Lincoln Park). If Gallas distributes the stupid Thunder Stick's I will personally assult anyone near me who uses them.

I'm sorry we used to laugh small town trends, now it's acceptable,
give me a break. The Angels game looked like a Nebraska football game with everyone wearing red. I hope there are some Chicagoans left before Gallas turns the Park into a suburban High School pep rally.

Keep the Thunder Stick away from 35th St, the South Side and the West Side.

I agree. Comiskey crowds are loud enough without novelty banging sticks. I take pride in the fact that 18,000 at Comiskey is just as loud as 30,000 at other parks. Why? Sox fans are into the game and more passionate about the game. Chicago doesn't need any accessories.

Indians Drum guy must die!!!
Honorable mention is the annoying drum and trumpet freaks at the Coliseum in Oakland.

StepsInSC
10-18-2002, 08:55 PM
I'm not advocating the use of thunder stix, in fact I'm never been to a baseball game in America where they've been used so i guess i cant say, but I have been to several games in Japan where they were using them and considering the fact that they have male cheerleaders over there who lead the crowd in cheers, and that your not allowed to cheer while the opposing team bats, the thunder stix weren't anywhere near the biggest annoyance around. i just dont see why people get so upset over them that they wanna beat the crap out of anyone who uses them. seems to me like its similar to the tomahawk chop and chant done in atlanta all the time, perhaps more noisy.

As I said in my first reply. Keep them away from 35th St, the South Side and the West Side. You can have them in California, Addison St, or South Carolina. Don't equate drinking with profanity and stupidity. At the old Park if you didn't understand baseball or didn't know how to drink you were just called a jerk.
I understood that when I was a kid in the late sixities and early seventies.

You have to understand baseball in Bridgeport or the Bronx is different from Southern California or South Carolina. People are different, the attitude is different.

Good luck in school.

gee golly thanks for the edu-ma-cation. i temporary forgot what a low brow simpleton i really am. like i said poor generalization on my part. but anyways its not the 60s and 70s today, and at every one of the 30 or so Braves games I go to a year i see tons of children there who are either board as crap or really into the game because of the sound effects and cheesy promotions.

anyways my main beef is that basketball is now more popular than baseball in america. nothing can be sadder then that and id rather they do whatever the crap they have to do to increase the popularity of the sport so its not dead by the time i'm 40. if that means making every person at the stadium wear a freaking cow bell around their neck then do it...lol I just wont go to the games but I could still enjoy them on TV.

Nellie_Fox
10-18-2002, 11:55 PM
gee golly thanks for the edu-ma-cation. i temporary forgot what a low brow simpleton i really am. like i said poor generalization on my part. but anyways its not the 60s and 70s today, and at every one of the 30 or so Braves games I go to a year i see tons of children there who are either board as crap or really into the game because of the sound effects and cheesy promotions.

anyways my main beef is that basketball is now more popular than baseball in america. nothing can be sadder then that and id rather they do whatever the crap they have to do to increase the popularity of the sport so its not dead by the time i'm 40. if that means making every person at the stadium wear a freaking cow bell around their neck then do it...lol I just wont go to the games but I could still enjoy them on TV. <Professor Nellie breaks free from his restraints, unable to resist the bait>
Okay, if you are going to be offended by a perceived insult to your intellect, you might:

1. Capitalize the first letter of your sentences. It's really not that hard to reach over with your little finger and hit the shift key.

2. Learn the difference between "then" and "than."

3. Understand that the word is "anyway" not "anyways."

4. Learn about the apostrophe and its proper use, e.g., I'd, it's (when contracting "it is" rather than the possessive,) won't, etc.

5. Say that the children at the game are bored, but I don't think they are board.

<I swore I was through doing this. I hate myself.>

Soxheads
10-18-2002, 11:59 PM
<Professor Nellie breaks free from his restraints, unable to resist the bait>
Okay, if you are going to be offended by a perceived insult to your intellect, you might:

1. Capitalize the first letter of your sentences. It's really not that hard to reach over with your little finger and hit the shift key.

2. Learn the difference between "then" and "than."

3. Understand that the word is "anyway" not "anyways."

4. Learn about the apostrophe and its proper use, e.g., I'd, it's (when contracting "it is" rather than the possessive,) won't, etc.

5. Say that the children at the game are bored, but I don't think they are board.

<I swore I was through doing this. I hate myself.>

Whoa! Restrain yourself, Nellie! :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-19-2002, 09:01 AM
Personally, I see nothing wrong with some silly device to help fans get into the games during the playoffs. I agree that the thunder stix would be an incredible distraction across 162 games. However, for a few weeks in October they're fine by me.

I give Anaheim credit for originality. The rally monkey is home-grown. That's clever. The Minnesota snot rags are really old and stale. They need to come up with something new.

The Sox passed out white socks during the 2000 ALDS. That was sort of droll. They looked just like Minnesota snot rags--totally unacceptable.

What should the Sox pass out for their playoff games (assuming we ever get there)?

I vote for dollar bills. To hear Williams and Reinsdorf tell it, waving our cash is the only way they'll ever field a winner. If the team starts to suck, we'll simply change to the $1 Sacajewea coins. They are sure to hurt the recipient when thrown onto the field from the $14 upper deck seats.

sox_fan_forever
10-19-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Personally, I see nothing wrong with some silly device to help fans get into the games during the playoffs. I agree that the thunder stix would be an incredible distraction across 162 games. However, for a few weeks in October they're fine by me.

I feel the same way. I don't have a problem with the thunder stix, especially for just a few games in October.

Now on the subject of the wave, I can't stand that! When I was little of course I did it but I haven't done it in years. Maybe one of the biggest reasons why I don't like it is it seems that some jerk usually starts it in the middle of a rally by the home team.

StepsInSC
10-19-2002, 07:21 PM
i do not frequent this board enough to know if nellie_fox is one of the rare few who use perfect grammar and spelling in every one of his posts. I do know that most people do not when they are posting on a message board. I know the difference between then and than, and I know the difference between board and bored, and yes I even know all the wonderful contraction-usin' rules, but perhaps you can forgive me if I dont practice perfect grammar, punctuation, and spelling when I'm posting on a message board.

I realize we're not actually SPEAKING to each other but most people I've encountered use 'spoken english' on a message board, including myself. and until you are either my boss or higher up at work, or someone who has control over one of my grades, then i dont see the point in taking a few more seconds to use proper english when typing my posts.

FarWestChicago
10-19-2002, 07:36 PM
<I swore I was through doing this. I hate myself.> LOL!! Poor Nellie. It's hard to resist that urge. :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
10-19-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I vote for dollar bills. To hear Williams and Reinsdorf tell it, waving our cash is the only way they'll ever field a winner.

I like that idea.

I've always found the sound of counting money to be interesting.

Nellie_Fox
10-20-2002, 01:16 AM
.....then i dont see the point in taking a few more seconds to use proper english when typing my posts. I wouldn't have said a word, except for the fact that you were offended by someone apparently questioning your intellect. All we have to judge each other by is our postings. If you write like a semi-literate, you just might be taken as one.

I can tell you from the experience of grading college students' work, too many let the lazy skills they have grown accustomed to from the internet spill over into their formal writing. I swear to you that I have seen a student use the numeral "2" for the word "to" in a term paper. I'm quite sure he didn't even realize he had done it, and spell check doesn't catch it.

In addition, your posts would be easier to read if you followed standard conventions, such as capitalizing. However, this is the last I'll say on it. Do what you want.

voodoochile
10-20-2002, 01:36 AM
then i dont see the point in taking a few more seconds to use proper english when typing my posts.

MTV strikes again... Sorry, but what is the difference between spoken English and proper English? Every word that is spoken has a proper spelling. If you cut off the last letter, you use an apostrophe. That's about the only difference I can think of... Now if we could just come to a conclusion on the proper spelling of the word "of" when used as a shortened version of the word "have" as in the expression "could of". I actully lost points on a high school paper on this exact topic about 25 years ago. Now it is so common place, I wonder if it still gets points deducted. Nellie?

Nellie_Fox
10-20-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Now if we could just come to a conclusion on the proper spelling of the word "of" when used as a shortened version of the word "have" as in the expression "could of". I actully lost points on a high school paper on this exact topic about 25 years ago. Now it is so common place, I wonder if it still gets points deducted. Nellie? I can't imagine any educator who would accept "would of" or "should of" as the equivalent of "would have" or "should have." This is the result of people spelling what they think they hear when someone uses the proper contraction, e.g., "would've, could've." There is no way that using "of" in this instance is becoming accepted.

FarWestChicago
10-20-2002, 03:02 AM
I can't imagine any educator who would accept "would of" or "should of" as the equivalent of "would have" or "should have." This is the result of people spelling what they think they hear when someone uses the proper contraction, e.g., "would've, could've." There is no way that using "of" in this instance is becoming accepted. I sure as hell hope not. Mental laziness is too easily accepted by many. If we, as Americans, want to remain a viable, competitive nation, it would behoove us to not become too illiterate.

WinningUgly!
10-20-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I sure as hell hope not. Mental laziness is too easily accepted by many. If we, as Americans, want to remain a viable, competitive nation, it would behoove us to not become too illiterate.

Translation:
eye sure's hell hope not. mentil lazyness is 2 easily excepted buy many. if we as americans want 2 remain a viable competative nation it wood b-hoove us 2 knot b-come 2 illiturit.

Cheryl
10-21-2002, 08:53 AM
Sorry to interupt the lesson, but I watched that first game Saturday night and IMO, the thundersticks are annoying.