PDA

View Full Version : piniella leaving mariners

guillen4life13
10-14-2002, 12:41 PM
just on espn. piniella is asking out of his contract because he wants to manage closer to his tampa bay home.

i'm guessing he takes the tampa job. if he takes that job, tampa might get a lot better than they've been.

look out for them. in 2-5 years, they'll probably be contenders.

hold2dibber
10-14-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
just on espn. piniella is asking out of his contract because he wants to manage closer to his tampa bay home.

i'm guessing he takes the tampa job. if he takes that job, tampa might get a lot better than they've been.

look out for them. in 2-5 years, they'll probably be contenders.

Until they get a new GM, Tampa Bay will not be a contender. The bastard love child of Earl Weaver and John McGraw, raised by Sparky Anderson and Joe Torre, couldn't have gotten 70 wins out of the D-Rays roster. Piniella will go completely insane by the end of next summer if he ends up with the D-Rays (and it sounds like he will since there are no other managerial openings any where near Tampa).

jortafan
10-14-2002, 01:16 PM
don't forget that the Mariners were garbage when Piniella took over. While I agree that '03 won't be the year that the Devil Rays will overtake the Yankees for the division title, he could help them overtake Baltimore, and perhaps Toronto. Of course, that's assuming Sweet Lou doesn't blow his top in frustration, turning into the equivalent of Billy Martin's fourth and fifth stints managing the Yankees. It's also possible that the constant ringing from the Thunder Stix has addled my judgment. The one thing I know is that it's a shame that our team can't be in the running when top-notch talent comes on the market.

doublem23
10-14-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
don't forget that the Mariners were garbage when Piniella took over. While I agree that '03 won't be the year that the Devil Rays will overtake the Yankees for the division title, he could help them overtake Baltimore, and perhaps Toronto. Of course, that's assuming Sweet Lou doesn't blow his top in frustration, turning into the equivalent of Billy Martin's fourth and fifth stints managing the Yankees. It's also possible that the constant ringing from the Thunder Stix has addled my judgment. The one thing I know is that it's a shame that our team can't be in the running when top-notch talent comes on the market.

The Mariners turn around has a lot more to do with GM moves (and Nintendo) than it does with Piniella.

hold2dibber
10-14-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by jortafan

Piniella didn't sign Kasaki or Suzuki or Boone, didn't make the trade that brought them Garcia and Halama or Guillen or Cameron, etc., etc. I think Lou is a good manager, but without a significant upgrade in the talent on the D-Rays roster, there's no manager on earth (or in the history of baseball) who could make the D-Rays contenders.

Dadawg_77
10-14-2002, 04:39 PM
Man this is a chicken and egg debate. You need good leadership and talent to win in the big leagues. Hiring Lou would be a great first step for the Rays, he is a winning manager. He won't be world series instant mix, but he can be the broth that makes for a great stew.

But also he could end up on the Mets, which is closer to Tampa then Seattle. Which starts you thinking and then you realize that every single city with a major league is closer. So who knows where.

Paulwny
10-14-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

But also he could end up on the Mets, which is closer to Tampa then Seattle. Which starts you thinking and then you realize that every single city with a major league is closer. So who knows where.

Agree, it takes only 1 plane from NYC to Tampa. Mets' fans think he's theirs.

voodoochile
10-14-2002, 10:36 PM
They announced during the game tonight that he was free to seek another job if they can work out compensation with the team that signs him.

Paulwny
10-15-2002, 06:14 PM
From Newsday:

The Mariners told the Mets to call back today, and owner Fred Wilpon plans to begin the process this morning by speaking with Seattle president Chuck Amstrong about what compensation it will take to secure Piniella.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-mets152966169oct15,0,5658030.story?coll=ny%2Dbaseb all%2Dheadlines

foulkesfan11
10-15-2002, 11:40 PM
Pinella's a much better manager than JM. Why can't we get him. Oh, dumb question.