PDA

View Full Version : Creepy Cardinals

Viva Magglio
10-14-2002, 11:27 AM
Do you think the Cardinals have gone too far with the Darryl Kile episode? I think having Kile's 5-year-old son in the dugout and parading him as the St. Louis version of the Rally Monkey is very creepy. As tragic as Kile's death was, the Cardinals have gone too far with it. They are essentially milking it for everything they can, attributing every victory not to their own ability but to Kile guiding them from above.

Cheryl
10-14-2002, 11:50 AM
So Kile's kids are in the dugout. You wouldn't even know that if the guys in the booth wouldn't bring it up every five minutes.

cheeses_h_rice
10-14-2002, 11:56 AM
I don't have that much of a problem with it, though I thought having his son in the dugout for just one game would have been enough.

I don't think we can really judge how "right" it is until we've been in the Cards' shoes, though.

MarqSox
10-14-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
They are essentially milking it for everything they can, attributing every victory not to their own ability but to Kile guiding them from above.

It's less ridiculous than athletes who think God gives a bleep about whether their team wins or loses. He's got more important crap (I would hope) to deal with. At least the hypothetical ghost of Kile would hypothetically care if the Cards hypothetically do well.

But yeah I agree it's stupid.

Dadawg_77
10-14-2002, 12:13 PM
The Cards lost two games, without the kid. They won with the kid, and since baseball players tend to be superstitious, the kid stayed. Honestly, does young Kile have anything better to do? If he wasn't in the dugout, he probably would be in the St Louis box or somewhere else in the park with his mom.

bc2k
10-14-2002, 01:15 PM
I think it's wonderful that Kile is in the dugout. Reading the paper today, all the guys want him around, calling him little DK. He's not used as a rally kid, that's disgusting to even think that. They're not rubbing his nose for good luck.

Did you hear the announcers say before the game the Cardinals won, how his mom told her son to go up to every Cardinals player he saw and tell them not to give up. I'm not even on the team but that gets me emotional.

These players have lost a friend and coworker, and little DK is helping the players' grieving process and his own by staying in the dugout.

No one here lost Daryl Kile, so who are we to tell them how to grieve.

doublem23
10-14-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
He's not used as a rally kid, that's disgusting to even think that. They're not rubbing his nose for good luck.

Actually, knowing my history with baseball players, I would bet that they do kind of believe he's a lucky charm. IMO, baseball players are the most superstitous of any sport I've ever seen.

RKMeibalane
10-14-2002, 05:52 PM
I agree with bc2k on this one. I think it's great that Kile's son is in the dugout. I think his presence serves as an inspiration to the team, and it also helps with the healing process. Everyone in that dugout lost a special person. The team lost a great teammate and friend, and the boy lost his father. I think his being there allows the players to help him and help one another through this difficult time.

Jjav829
10-14-2002, 06:36 PM
I don't mind Kannon Kile being in the dugout. I mean other little kids are in the dugouts as batboys etc. I do have a problem with the media constantly panning over to show him. I don't need to see him sucking on a sucker every 5 minutes. Let the kid be. I guess I should expect that from the media though.

WinningUgly!
10-14-2002, 09:21 PM
At times the whole thing does seem kinda "creepy", but I'm not among the St. Louis players & haven't gone through what they have had to. There's nothing wrong with letting Kile's son hang around the team or the team waving DK's jersey in the air, etc, unless they are just doing it for the TV cameras. I'm not saying this is what's happening, but it has looked very rehearsed at times. If this is the case, it is just a sick step away from "Weekend at Bernie's".

sox_fan_forever
10-14-2002, 09:56 PM
I also don't think there is anything wrong with having him in the dugout with them. As other people have said, we aren't in their shoes and haven't had to deal with this like they have. Having Kannon Kile down there with them probably really is an inspiration for some of them.

But, as Jjav829 said, I don't like the media constantly talking about it or bringing it up every few minutes. That diminishes it and makes it less special, imo.