PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout those new ticket prices?

Streets
10-12-2002, 11:55 AM
Knowing that I now have to pay nearly 30 bucks ($29) for one seat in lower deck box really makes me impatient for next year to come!http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-021011soxtickets,0,2020464.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2D headlines

mrwag
10-12-2002, 12:04 PM
What a crock. We reduce payroll, bring up the cheap rookies, and raise ticket prices. Justifyable for a winning, championship caliber club. Not for a 2nd or 3rd place team. There'd better be some serious GOOD off-season acquisitions to justify this.

Hello Independent Leagues....

MrX
10-12-2002, 12:04 PM
I'm sure Jerry will put all the extra revenue into improving the team

FanOf14
10-12-2002, 02:06 PM
This season I went to 2 games - one I paid for and one that I didn't - received tickets from a vendor at work. I don't see myself attending that many next year with that increase. What is the reason for this increase? The Sox aren't a championship contending team and the economy sucks. I am sure I am forgetting many more reasons why they shouldn't be raised, but what's JR's reasoning behind this? Is he really trying to push what fan base he has left in this city away?

voodoochile
10-12-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
This season I went to 2 games - one I paid for and one that I didn't - received tickets from a vendor at work. I don't see myself attending that many next year with that increase. What is the reason for this increase? The Sox aren't a championship contending team and the economy sucks. I am sure I am forgetting many more reasons why they shouldn't be raised, but what's JR's reasoning behind this? Is he really trying to push what fan base he has left in this city away?

Make as much money as he can while demand (from the AS game) is high. Though I seriously doubt the prices go back down the following year...

FanOf14
10-12-2002, 02:23 PM
I think that too Voodoo. I will probably go to 2-3 games next year - take my mom and brother for our first game of the season, then take mom for mother's day and then my brother for his b-day. I usually go to at least 7 games a year, but not next year. They will be lucky to get me for those 3 (IF they get me for those 3).

I am just so sick of JR. I wish he would sell the team, leave Chicago never to return.

TornLabrum
10-12-2002, 03:11 PM

Bingo!

TornLabrum
10-12-2002, 03:20 PM
On the other hand, I believe there are 50% more half-price Monday games this year (9 this year, 6 last year iirc). Jerry has to make up the difference somehow.

:gallas

"It was my idea and the boss throught it was brilliant marketing strategy. If the Cubs create the impression of scarcity by scalping their own tickets, we can do it by raising our prices, pretending we're just following the law of supply and demand."

:reinsy

"Besides, if the fans had come to the ballpark, I wouldn't have to raise ticket prices in order to meet our shrinking payroll."

nut_stock
10-12-2002, 04:51 PM
I see they are marketing towards families again...

Foulke You
10-12-2002, 05:13 PM
If only there was some kind of guarantee that this money would be going to signing Maggs, Paulie, and Buehrle to long term deals while adding veteran pitching help to solidify the club for the next 5 years. But we all know that this is more likely Reinsy taking the chance to gouge the blue collar fanbase of the Sox which has always been its bread and butter while at the same time cashing in on having the All Star Game next year. This franchise is so clueless it is sickening.
:KW
"I can't spend $1.00 when all I have is $0.50! Wait, now I'll have a $1.00! I can't say that anymore...ummm...I can't spend $5.00 when all I have is $1.00! That's it!!"

duke of dorwood
10-12-2002, 08:06 PM
I cant even afford half price nights anymore. This owner is a vultchure-using the lure of an All Star game to do this after all the yammering about attendance.. My lower deck 27 game package went up 108.00 (if I went back). WANNA BET PARKING GETS RAISED TOO?

Just pay me and shut up

duke of dorwood
10-12-2002, 08:14 PM
AND during a real recession. We havent had raises for 2 years at my job, but I dont complain, I still have one. This is despicable.

Lip Man 1
10-12-2002, 09:17 PM
There are a lot of PO'd Sox fans posting on this board and that's nice but it won't change anything.

Send, e-mail, call, mail your objections to the powers that be, the Sox organization and the media.

Again it won't change anything (for now) but it might have a small influence down the road.

Lip

Dan H
10-13-2002, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
AND during a real recession. We havent had raises for 2 years at my job, but I dont complain, I still have one. This is despicable.

Typical of the White Sox. In June 1982, Eddie Einhorn gave an interview to the Tribune and complained that attendance was not where or what he expected it to be. In 1982, this country was in its worst economic downturn in over 50 years. Unemployment, inflation and interest rates were in double digits. And this rich guy was wondering where all the fans were.

The worst thing about the Sox is not the losing. It is that they just don't get it. Not all fans have the opportunity or money to attend many games. Raising ticket prices when your demand is already low doesn't make much sense, even with half-price nights.

As far as the All-Star game? I am not that interested. It lost its luster long time ago.

harwar
10-13-2002, 10:47 AM
Whats the difference,the twins are going to own this division for years to come.The White Sox will be in the same group as the royals,tigers and the indians.TOTAL MISMANAGEMENT! Thats what the problem is.What really makes me angry is that until jerry reinsDORF and his bag of cronies are gone its not going to get any better.

duke of dorwood
10-13-2002, 01:55 PM
But the damage is done. Even a new owner wont roll prices back. Face it, the days of getting in your car with the kids and going to a game on spur of the moment are dead. You have to wait for the closing on your second mortgage before you can leave.

soxtalker
10-13-2002, 02:02 PM
The raising of ticket prices does seem to be a strange marketing decision. The popularity of half-price Monday's (and Tuesday's if you bring in a Pepsi product) combined with the cutting of ticket prices elsewhere should be a clear indication that fans really do make decisions on whether to attend on the basis of ticket cost when teams are not close to winning championships. People have pointed out that management may simply not have a clue, and that they are counting on the desire of people to attend the All-Star Game. However, I wonder if the ballpark rental agreement has a big effect. Isn't the state (or, more precisely, the authority that issued the bonds to pay for the park) supposed to make up for any shortfall in attendance below 2Million fans? So, if the Sox expect to struggle to get to that level, they have little incentive to reduce prices to get closer. Of course, after you get a fan into the park he/she then spends money on other things like food. I'd bet that there are some detailed calculations that went into this decision.

voodoochile
10-13-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I'd bet that there are some detailed calculations that went into this decision.

"If we raise ticket prices, I make how much extra money? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

harwar
10-14-2002, 09:27 AM
what's JR's reasoning behind this? Is he really trying to push what fan base he has left in this city away?

J.R. seems to want to be at war with Sox fans.During a rare interview(on fox i believe).He responded to the question of how long he wanted to be a MLB owner by saying that he "wanted to outlast other owners in chicago".I'm not sure what thats means but he seems to be doing everything he can to push the fans away.I'm starting to think that he wants us to stay away so that he can have the excuse to move the team elsewhere.Las Vegas or Tucson or washington maybe.People tell me i see conspiracies everywhere but just because i'm being paranoid doesn't mean it won't happen.

duke of dorwood
10-14-2002, 09:52 AM
I had half price Mondays on my old season plan and I HATED THOSE NIGHTS. All the amateurs come out, pay 6.00 (7.00 now) and sit in the same area I was paying full price for. Its a night for rowdys and fights. That is NOT a satisfactory alternative for me.

bc2k
10-14-2002, 10:15 AM
I had half price Mondays on my old season plan and I HATED THOSE NIGHTS. All the amateurs come out, pay 6.00 (7.00 now) and sit in the same area I was paying full price for. Its a night for rowdys and fights. That is NOT a satisfactory alternative for me.

You don't like the rowdy Monday atmosphere? And you say you're from Alsip. :smile:

Cheryl
10-14-2002, 10:47 AM
Let's see, I went to 3 or 4 games last season. I doubt I go even that much this coming year.

hold2dibber
10-14-2002, 10:57 AM
It all depends on what they do with the extra money (and the extra money they should get from revenue sharing under the new CBA, all-star game-related revenue and all of the payroll they shed via trade during last season). If they use the extra money to improve the team, the higher prices won't change my attendance(although I may be eating more ramen noodles and boxed mac & cheese next summer to fund my attendance). However, if JR uses the money to "pay down debt" (he reportedly asked the commissioner's office if he could use extra revenue sharing $ to do so) or pockets the difference, I won't go to as many games simply because I don't think they'll be anything more than a .500 club.

steff
10-14-2002, 11:56 AM
The new Club Level prices aren't listed here... Did they not publish them?
Well.. incase they didn't.. they'll be "near $40" next year. Straight from my ticket rep's mouth. We were going to move our season seats there.. but for $3200 for ONE seat for the season.. no thanks.

Lip Man 1
10-14-2002, 12:36 PM
Hold 2 Dibber:

If you haven't already please read my Q & A with Phil Rogers. I ask him about that published comment attributed to Reinsdorf about paying down debt instead of trying to get better players.

Lip

shbart
10-15-2002, 06:55 PM
I just don't get the marketing. Doesn't it seem stupid to jack prices an over abundant percentage when they could just eliminate the half-price nights. I like the 1/2 price nights, but given a choice of having to go on a Monday to see a game let's say for $20 (club level w/ discount now) or going any day of the week at club level for $26 (old price). I'd choose the $26 tix. They make more money and don't piss off the fan base nearly as much...anyone on board w/ this logic???

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by shbart
I just don't get the marketing. Doesn't it seem stupid to jack prices an over abundant percentage when they could just eliminate the half-price nights. I like the 1/2 price nights, but given a choice of having to go on a Monday to see a game let's say for $20 (club level w/ discount now) or going any day of the week at club level for $26 (old price). I'd choose the $26 tix. They make more money and don't piss off the fan base nearly as much...anyone on board w/ this logic???

Wow Bart, I'm impressed. In only your second post at WSI, you've already shown ten-times the marketing acumen of the Sox' Rob Gallas!

:gallas
"Flying Elvis Sleepover with your Dog Day, seniors and moms run the bases after the game as long as accompanied by a child 12 and younger--tickets purchased day of game only!"

If they eliminated half-priced games, they might start building season ticket and advanced sales, too. As it stands, the Sox stick fans with a disincentive for buying tickets early. These people are complete morons.

The Sox will never be profitable without a larger season ticket base. Gallas is doing nothing to fix this.

foulkesfan11
10-15-2002, 11:42 PM

I don't have a job. This is awful. I couldn't afford season tickets next year, even if I wanted them, which NOW I don't.