PDA

View Full Version : A single White Sox player is a....

kingpin_rcs
10-11-2002, 07:29 PM
White Sock? As in "He spent 5 years as a White Sock"

or

White Sox? As in "He spent 5 years as a White Sox"

I have always seen the later used but to me it sounds more accurate to use the former (even though it sounds kinda silly).

On a related note, could the team name be what has held them back for so many years, observe:

In real life a white sox dosen't stand much of a chance:
A Tiger vs. a White Sock - Tiger rips the sock to shreds
A Mariner vs. a White Sock - Mariner throws the sock overboard
An Indian vs. a White Sock - Indian uses the sock start a fire
A Devil Ray vs. a White Sock - Devil Ray eats the sock
An Oriole vs. a White Sock - Oriole uses sock to build a nest
A Red Sock vs. a White Sock - White sock turns pink in the laundry.
A Twin vs. a White Sock - Twin wears the sock - gets it all sweaty.
A Ranger vs. a White Sox - Ranger shoots holes in the sock with his six gun.
An Angel vs. a White Sox - Angel darns the sock (I kill me!)

vs. a Yankee, A, Royal - Not sure

I don't even want to think about the NL (Giant, Pirate, !)

jortafan
10-11-2002, 08:28 PM
who, except for Chip Caray, refers to White Sock? Anybody with a brain realizes it's White Sox, singular or plural.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-11-2002, 08:30 PM
Okay, is this Chimp Caray?

:chimp
"This White Sock team can really swing the bats!"

:carter
"Dat's right, Skip... I mean Chimp... err Chip. Why'd they take away my job?"

The name of the team is White SOX. There is no singular; the unique spelling of the name eliminated it. This is no different than using the term "Fire" for Chicago's MLS soccer team. There is no "Fires", get it?

For conventional names, it's accepted American English to use either the singular or plural for referencing a team's possession of a particular player. "Chicago Cub Sammy Sosa" and "Cubs' Sammy Sosa" are both okay. Only a moron would say "Chicago White Sock Frank Thomas." (See Caray, Chimp above).

It's worth noting that English English refers to teams in the plural. So instead of saying "Arsenal is top of the standings," they say "Arsenal are top of the table" (table being their term for standings). They also list the home team first, even when reporting the final score. If that isn't enough evidence the English are completely whacked, they also drive on the wrong side of the street. :D:

Calling a White Sox player a "White Sock" is a major faux pas. Don't ever let it happen again! :smile:

:gulp:

Dadawg_77
10-11-2002, 08:49 PM
well you can tell its the off season when this is a subject of a thread. But then again who wants to talk about tomatoes :D: ?

voodoochile
10-11-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
well you can tell its the off season when this is a subject of a thread. But then again who wants to talk about tomatoes :D: ?

Did someone say tomatoes (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5628&highlight=tomato)?