PDA

View Full Version : shane reynolds

guillen4life13
10-10-2002, 09:45 PM
shane reynolds was just declined his $8 million option for 2003. he's 34 now, and apparently the 'stros don't think he's worth the 8 mil.

1. would he be too high in demand?
2. Is he good enough to be a #2/3 starter
3. Is he too expensive?
4. are there any other problems or high risks with him?

WinningUgly!
10-10-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
shane reynolds was just declined his $8 million option for 2003. he's 34 now, and apparently the 'stros don't think he's worth the 8 mil.

3. Is he too expensive?

I don't know. I doubt he'll be in too high demand, because he's had quite a few injury problems over the last few seasons or so. He could be a nice pick up if he's healthy, but he won't see anything near $8 mil.

Lip Man 1
10-10-2002, 09:52 PM
He's had serious injury problems and from that standpoint would be as big a risk as David Wells.

From a character standpoint, there are very few who are better. I knew Shane when he played high school baseball in Bastrop, Louisiana. That's a small town about ten miles from where I was working in TV. He was extremely dedicated, polite and tough.

Lip

guillen4life13
10-10-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

I don't know. I doubt he'll be in too high demand, because he's had quite a few injury problems over the last few seasons or so. He could be a nice pick up if he's healthy, but he won't see anything near $8 mil.

Originally posted by Lip Man 1
He's had serious injury problems and from that standpoint would be as big a risk as David Wells.

From a character standpoint, there are very few who are better. I knew Shane when he played high school baseball in Bastrop, Louisiana. That's a small town about ten miles from where I was working in TV. He was extremely dedicated, polite and tough.

Lip

would you guys make the gamble though? (provided that at the time of signing he is in good health)?

Iguana775
10-10-2002, 10:54 PM
i dont see why not if the price is right. not sure what that price is....3-4 mil?

Tragg
10-10-2002, 11:10 PM

3. Is he too expensive?

1. No
2. No
3. Way to expensive
4. Injury prone; hit his peak 3-5 years ago; old.

Lip Man 1
10-10-2002, 11:10 PM
3 or 4 MILLION????? Sorry, Uncle Jerry won't spend more then 3 or 4 HUNDRED THOUSAND! (It's the fan's fault of course...)

After all his philosophy is "who needs pitching" we'll score ten runs a game!

Lip

hold2dibber
10-11-2002, 09:15 AM
would you guys make the gamble though? (provided that at the time of signing he is in good health)?

A year ago I thought Reynolds was a good fit for the Sox, but I've changed my tune. Even if healthy, at this stage in his career, he is a #3 or 4 starter, IMHO. They don't need another guy like that - among Garland, Wright, Rauch and Biddle, we have plenty of guys capable of being good back of the rotation guys next year (note: I think all of these guys have potential to be front of the rotation guys in a few years, but probably not next year). What they need is somebody to compliment Buehrle at the top of the rotation. I'm against bringing in another "past his prime" guy (unless the guy is Glavine or Maddux , both of whom are still very good, even if they are past their prime) -- the Sox need to get someone who is currently at the top of his game while the young pitchers continue to develop at the back of the rotation.

MarkEdward
10-11-2002, 04:38 PM
Reynolds is erratic (career-wise), injury prone, and age is catching up to him. He'll probably be too expensive for a fourth starter. There are better risks the Sox can take.

hold2dibber
10-11-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Reynolds is erratic (career-wise), injury prone, and age is catching up to him . He'll probably be too expensive for a fourth starter. There are better risks the Sox can take.

When you put it like that, it seems obvious that the Sox will make a run at him!