PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Dusty Baker quote on Chicago baseball race issues

cheeses_h_rice
10-10-2002, 09:32 AM
From today's Moron column

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay10.html

For the record, this is what Baker said: "When you thought of places that might accept and might not accept minorities, you never saw the Cubs as a place that might accept a minority manager. I have friends in Chicago who are African American and friends who are white. It's a fact the minorities have been more on the South Side with the White Sox . I'm not trying to stir anything up. But the facts are the facts. When I played at Wrigley Field, people were always telling me, 'You should be on the South Side, there's not that many minorities on the North Side.' I'm not making it up. It's something you see and hear from people.''

It doesn't matter if Baker is accurate or misguided about Chicago's racial climate and the Tribune's attitudes. What matters is what he perceives. And obviously, he still doesn't think highly of the Cubs, or he would be laying the same media groundwork he is for the Mets' job. "I haven't really thought about it, but everyone's interested in trying New York,'' Baker told Newsday.

duke of dorwood
10-10-2002, 10:57 AM
Those aren't facts and he is "stirring it up" by that ridiculous quote.

jortafan
10-10-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Those aren't facts and he is "stirring it up" by that ridiculous quote.

maybe i'm missing something, but it actually strikes me as being a logical observation. please elaborate on why the quote is "ridiculous."

HawkDJ
10-10-2002, 06:34 PM
In 2002, looking at the coaching staff we basically had only 3 white coachers, Joe Nossek, Nardi/Coop and Kushyner. Our manager, general manager, first base coach, third base coach and hitting coach were African-American. The Cubs had Baylor but I think that is it. So yes this is a logical quote. What is ridiculous is how people don't hire African-Americans as coaches (Notre Dame, The whole NFL) becuase they think of them as players or whatever their reason is. Give me a break! We have to know African-Americans can coach just as well as whites, just as we ended that long idea that African-Americans couldn't play QB.

Lip Man 1
10-10-2002, 07:57 PM
Yes the White Sox are more "politically correct."

Hallalullya! and Amen!!!!

Unfortunately the minorities that Uncle Jerry has hired have been incompetent, brain dead, morons, yes men, and buffoons. (see: Williams, Kenny...Manuel, Jerry...Contreras, Nardi...Pettis, Gary...Johnson, Wallace...Ward, Gary... Joshua, Von...Jackson, Darrin)

If Uncle Jerry wants to be "politically correct" let him go out and hire guys like Dusty Baker, Felipe Alou and Don Baylor (as hitting coach) Of course those African - Americans wouldn't be caught dead working for the Sox because they actually know what they're doing, and won't play "Uncle Tom" for Uncle Jerry.

What an organization.

Lip

DonkeyKongerko
10-11-2002, 01:54 PM
I guess the white sox argument has squashed out whatever life affirmative action still had left.