PDA

View Full Version : New Sirotka Update

HawkDJ
10-10-2002, 07:44 AM
It was reported earlier that Sirotka was being assigned to Toronto's AAA team but Sirotka has refused outright assignment and will be testing the free agent waters.

hold2dibber
10-10-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
It was reported earlier that Sirotka was being assigned to Toronto's AAA team but Sirotka has refused outright assignment and will be testing the free agent waters.

I'd love to see the Sox give him a shot -- I always liked Sirotka and if he makes it back, it would be great if it was with the Sox. I certainly got the impression that he never wanted to leave in the first place (though his comments about what KW knew or may have known about the extent of his injury before the trade probably preclude his return).

Iwritecode
10-10-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'd love to see the Sox give him a shot -- I always liked Sirotka and if he makes it back, it would be great if it was with the Sox. I certainly got the impression that he never wanted to leave in the first place (though his comments about what KW knew or may have known about the extent of his injury before the trade probably preclude his return).

:KW
I told you guys that I would get a veteran #2!

:butter
You remember how well I did after coming off of season-ending arm surgery?

ScottyTheSoxFan
10-10-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
:butter
You remember how well I did after coming off of season-ending arm surgery?

:thegreat
"ive done great also" "

Soxheads
10-10-2002, 06:17 PM
Sirotka would be great. If he got close to the level he was before, he could be a solid 5.

guillen4life13
10-10-2002, 07:02 PM
how much would you expect his asking price to be? if it isn't too much, let's give it a shot!

jortafan
10-10-2002, 07:10 PM
would he want to come back? I seem to recall a Tribune interview where Sirotka said the Sox would have to do some serious butt-kissing to make him even consider them in the future. I can't see any of the Sox management types putting the team's true needs ahead of their overbloated egos.

guillen4life13
10-10-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
would he want to come back? I seem to recall a Tribune interview where Sirotka said the Sox would have to do some serious butt-kissing to make him even consider them in the future. I can't see any of the Sox management types putting the team's true needs ahead of their overbloated egos.

hate to say it, but it's true

doublem23
10-10-2002, 08:33 PM
I do remember hearing Mike didn't fully enjoy the terms he left on, and I do remember a quote from Mike in the winter of 2001 that insinuated that hell was more likely to freeze over before we saw Mike again in South Side pinstripes.

D'oh!

nut_stock
10-10-2002, 08:36 PM
I don't think he'd be much help in 2003. In 2004, who knows. He hasn't even pitched in a game since the 2000 playoffs, and how many different surgeries were there?

Jjav829
10-10-2002, 09:13 PM
Mike was one of my favorite players and I hated to see him go. I would love to see him back here and pitching again, but it's not happening. I hope he finds a home somewhere and pitches well again.

yyz
10-18-2002, 01:45 PM
I'm a little late to this thread, but I just wanted to add that Sirotka was one of my favorites, and I'd love to see him come back with the Sox.

I actually remember him saying after he got traded that he would like to come back to the Sox again some day. He was a class act and a darn good starter, and I'm sure he would come cheap. If they can play Harold Baines in 2001 and sign Canseco to a minor league contract in 2002, they ought to give Sirotka a hot. (And while we're at it, bring back Cool Cal Eldred!)

jortafan
10-18-2002, 01:54 PM
Cal Eldred?
Not to be rude, but I thought the screw in his elbow gave out.
If we're going to put Cal back on the mound, we might as well bring back Bo Jackson to DH and have Harold Baines play the outfield.

Lip Man 1
10-18-2002, 05:17 PM
After the comments and acqusations that Sirotka made about Kenny Williams "supposedly knowing" that he was injured and traded him anyway, it'll be a very cold day in hell before the current front office EVER allows him back on the field in a Sox uniform.

With our organization vindictiveness, ego and arrogance are the operating norm despite how that harms the product on the field.

Lip

yyz
10-21-2002, 01:04 PM
I was only joking about Cal. I was sort of joking about Sirotka, but even with some alleged bad blood, stranger things have happened.

RichH55
10-21-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
After the comments and acqusations that Sirotka made about Kenny Williams "supposedly knowing" that he was injured and traded him anyway, it'll be a very cold day in hell before the current front office EVER allows him back on the field in a Sox uniform.

With our organization vindictiveness, ego and arrogance are the operating norm despite how that harms the product on the field.

Lip

Don't you think that Sirotka would have serious reservations about coming back to the Sox? Or would this have to be entirely Managements "vindictiveness" if he didnt come back?

RichH55
10-21-2002, 10:12 PM

Lip

Oh and BTW.,...you crushed me on the Thomas bet, so good show...I cede the point on that bad boy...Sox didnt even make me wait long to look foolish either

Lip Man 1
10-21-2002, 11:08 PM
Sirotka might not have any choice if no other team even takes a flier on him.

But I'd think he would have serious questions in his own mind about coming back to the Sox, unless he had no other options.

Personally I'd rather the Sox take a shot on Chris Carpenter who the Blue Jays also released.

Lip

RichH55
10-22-2002, 11:37 PM
Sirotka might not have any choice if no other team even takes a flier on him.

But I'd think he would have serious questions in his own mind about coming back to the Sox, unless he had no other options.

Personally I'd rather the Sox take a shot on Chris Carpenter who the Blue Jays also released.

Lip

Agreed on Carpenter....He could definately still have something left in the tank and he is the type of guy the Sox usually will take a chance on

harwar
10-23-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
we might as well bring back Bo Jackson to DH and have Harold Baines play the outfield.

Don't say that too loud.Uncle jerry might get ideas again.

Paulwny
10-29-2002, 02:42 PM
10/29-------- Mike Rutsey , Toronto Sun:

Veteran pitchers Chris Carpenter and Mike Sirotka, who are recovering from shoulder surgery and won't be available for duty until well after the 2003 season starts, are free agents and have been offered incentive-laden, minor-league contracts. The Jays hope to hear back from them within the next couple of weeks.