PDA

View Full Version : espn praise

jortafan
10-09-2002, 01:56 PM
just noticed a baseball feature on the ESPN web site, ranking the 10 best baseball cities. Chicago came in at number six, with the usual drivel about the Friendly Confines, while also noting that the "most knowledgable fans reside on the south side."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsnation/story?page=BaseballCities

Nellie_Fox
10-09-2002, 03:05 PM
The link didn't work.

Dadawg_77
10-09-2002, 03:13 PM
sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsnation/story?page=BaseballCities

Copy and paste it in

OfficerKarkovice
10-09-2002, 03:50 PM
Win or lose, Cubs fans fill the Friendly Confines. The most knowledgeable fans, however, reside on the south side.

Impressive from ESPN

SI1020
10-09-2002, 03:50 PM
This list is highly subjective as are all lists of this type. St.Louis, Cincinatti and Boston (Nos 1,2 and 3) are all great baseball cities. In rating Baltimore #5 the author notes record breaking attendance throughout the Cambden Yard era and further states ".....before that Memorial Stadium was usually as crowded as a street of the city's row houses." A check of attendance records at Memorial Stadium for the period from 1966-1983 will reveal that the Orioles were not record breakers at the box office despite having a strong team that was almost always in contention. Baseballreference.com has the list if anyone wants to check. Of course the author was correct when he stated that Sox fans are more knowledgeable than fans of you know who.

voodoochile
10-09-2002, 04:00 PM
About Cleveland and Seattle:

Both have had some dreadful stretches of bad teams, but give these cities a halfway decent team and the fans fall so passionately in love the local courts practically need to issue restraining orders .

Can you say fairweather fans? I knew you could...

FarWestChicago
10-09-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsnation/story?page=BaseballCities

Copy and paste it in I fixed it. :D:

OfficerKarkovice
10-09-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Can you say fairweather fans? I knew you could...

Can you say Minnesota?

jortafan
10-09-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I fixed it. :D:

thanks for fixing it for me. I'll try to get it right next time.

Iwritecode
10-10-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
while also noting that the "most knowledgable fans reside on the south side."

Well obviously somebody on the ESPN staff has been reading their messages boards. That's all anyone really has to do to come to this conclusion... :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-11-2002, 07:25 PM
Baltimore is ahead of Chicago? What a joke! Their fans are some of the dumbest people on Earth. Cal Ripken this, Cal Ripken that, Earl Weaver blah, blah, blah... they couldn't find the seat of their pants with a map, two hands, and a flashlight.

Obviously those dolts from the North Side are weighing down our city's average. God I hate them...

:angry:

Nellie_Fox
10-12-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Obviously those dolts from the North Side are weighing down our city's average. God I hate them...

:angry: PHG, every once in a while you say something that reminds me why I enjoy coming here.