PDA

View Full Version : Trade Possibility

duke of dorwood
10-09-2002, 02:38 PM
Read this exerpt from Oakland Paper:

OAKLAND -- The Oakland A's are set at every position on the field except for one, but that one position is crucial.
They will be in hot pursuit of a leadoff-hitting center fielder this winter, an acquisition that would allow them to move Terrence Long to left field -- where he is far more comfortable.

It's a good-news, bad-news situation because what the A's are looking for is notoriously difficult to find. Then again, most teams have a list of questions far longer than the A's this winter.

"I like what we have returning," A's general manager Billy Beane said. "We don't have a huge list of questions. I'm not worried about who my first baseman, second baseman, shortstop, third baseman, my starting rotation. ..."

But he is concerned about who will patrol the big stretch of grass beyond second base. The A's don't go after high-priced free agents, so the candidates they would pursue would be quality younger players they could acquire in a trade.

NOW-

Would you trade Willie Harris for Ted Lilly?

voodoochile
10-09-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Read this exerpt from Oakland Paper:

OAKLAND -- The Oakland A's are set at every position on the field except for one, but that one position is crucial.
They will be in hot pursuit of a leadoff-hitting center fielder this winter, an acquisition that would allow them to move Terrence Long to left field -- where he is far more comfortable.

It's a good-news, bad-news situation because what the A's are looking for is notoriously difficult to find. Then again, most teams have a list of questions far longer than the A's this winter.

"I like what we have returning," A's general manager Billy Beane said. "We don't have a huge list of questions. I'm not worried about who my first baseman, second baseman, shortstop, third baseman, my starting rotation. ..."

But he is concerned about who will patrol the big stretch of grass beyond second base. The A's don't go after high-priced free agents, so the candidates they would pursue would be quality younger players they could acquire in a trade.

NOW-

Willie, pack your bags...

Iwritecode
10-09-2002, 02:56 PM

Sure, but I doubt KW can convince Beane that Harris is good enough to start in CF and leadoff.

duke of dorwood
10-09-2002, 03:17 PM
They apparently are not considering Ray Ray, so I think we can get this done. Lilly is their fifth starter, I think he can be had.

Paulwny
10-09-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Sure, but I doubt KW can convince Beane that Harris is good enough to start in CF and leadoff.

Agree, Harris hasn't proved he can hit ml pitching. Beane wouldn't make this deal.

hold2dibber
10-09-2002, 03:44 PM
They apparently are not considering Ray Ray, so I think we can get this done. Lilly is their fifth starter, I think he can be had.

Will never, ever happen. The A's traded Carlos Pena, a much, much more highly touted (than Harris) prospect, to get Lilly. So trading Lilly for Harris would be, from their perspective, like dealing Pena for Harris and that would be a horrible trade for them. Plus, Harris has played much more 2B than CF and they are pretty high on Lilly. I would think, at this point, that Rowand would be more attractive as trade bait than Harris, but Rowand certainly does not fit the "Beane" model of being a guy who can draw walks. I would think to get Lilly, you'd have to give up both Rowand and a good pitching prospect, like Almonte, Malone or Valentine. But even then I don't even think that would do it, because I doubt they'd be interested in Rowand as their everyday CF. Here's guessing that they go after Vernon Wells from the Blue Jays (who I'd love to see the Sox pursue). They'd probably trade Lilly for him.

Dadawg_77
10-09-2002, 04:17 PM
how about LTP for Zito?

guillen4life13
10-09-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
how about LTP for Zito?

honestly, i'd do it, but it ain't gonna happen. they'll want more, because ltp isn't proven yet, and he isn't a patient hitter, let alone a leadoff hitter.

34 Inch Stick
10-10-2002, 02:05 PM
Even if Borchard ends up being as good as predicted I would make that trade. A great young lefthander is worth his weight in gold (Buhrle, don't let Jerry know I told you).