PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Ken Williams

RKMeibalane
10-08-2002, 10:00 PM
If Jerry Reinsdorf has any self-respect, then he will fire Ken Williams before the end of this month. I realize the media aren't exactly the most trustworthy people on this planet, but after reading the article written by Joe Crowley, I think it's safe to say that Williams has to go.

As Frank Thomas put it, things have changed since 2000. The Sox began their downward spiral right after they were eliminated from the playoffs. Williams replaced Scheuler as general manager, and the rest is history.

Williams has made the following "bonehead" moves since assuming his duties as general manager:

1. Traded for Royce Clayton.

This was a disaster. Clayton should have been released when he was hitting .099 on May 23, 2001. His release came sixteen months too late.

2. Traded Kip Wells, Josh Fogg, and Sean Lowe for Todd Ritchie and Damaso Marte.

The jury is still out on this one, but all signs point to another stupid trade. Ritchie was the worst pitcher in baseball this season. Wells and Fogg had solid seasons in Pittsburgh, and the Sox were made fun of in a Sports Illustrated article. Williams says he deserves credit for accquiring Marte. Give me a break. That's no different than if someone blows up a building, but wants to take credit for knowing exactly how large the blast radius would be. Basically, Williams proved he's incompetent.

3. Traded for Willie Harris.

Again, time will determine the success of this move, but indications are that Harris has replaced Royce Clayton as the new Choice. The only difference is that he prefers a different flavor of ice cream.

4. Interfered in clubhouse affairs.

When Paul Konerko called out Frank Thomas in front of the media, Williams decided to "stick his nose" into the altercation, instead of allowing Manuel to handle the problem himself.

5. Thrown tantrums in the clubhouse.

This refers, of course, to the tirade in which Williams screamed at players, calling them b*tches and motherf*ckers while tipping over the buffet table.

6. Hired Gary Ward and Gary Pettis.

The irony of this situation is laughable. Von Joshua was fired because the players weren't listening to him. I don't know what happened to Joshua, but if he's still living in the Chicago area, I'm sure he enjoys reading the morning paper. The players don't listen to Gary Ward either. No one likes his "hitting meetings," and several players think he's a joke.

Pettis never had a clue what he was doing. He was the man most directly responsible for the Sox numerous base-running problems, yet Wallace Johnson was fired, and the incidents involving Frank Thomas being thrown at home were cited as the reason for his dismisal. Johnson was responsible for some of Thomas' base-running struggles, but he was nowhere near as bad as Pettis.

Tragg
10-08-2002, 11:50 PM
I agree with much of your post, but not the harris part. Clayton was a proven dog after 10+ years of pitiful hitting and overrated fielding. Harris is a young player who is a better offensive player than clayton (not saying much but he is).
And we traded a clayton clone for harris.

hold2dibber
10-09-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
2. Traded Kip Wells, Josh Fogg, and Sean Lowe for Todd Ritchie and Damaso Marte.

Actually, Marte was acquired in a separate deal. The Sox sent Matt Guerrier to the Pirates for Marte.

I think KW deserves credit for that trade. Marte is a keeper. I didn't read Crowley's article so I don't know exactly what was said. I can say that it sounds like the Sox clubhouse is in shambles and the players have little or no respect for the people who are running the show. That problem, IMHO, falls at JR's feet. He needs to right the ship.

With all that said, the fact is, this team did play quite well down the stretch and did finish with a .500 record despite having a rotation that was, quite frankly, in way over its head. Moreover, if you're going to make a compelling case against KW, I think you have to evaluate all of his moves, not just point out the bad ones. As noted above, the Marte trade appears to have been a good one. Gary Glover for Scott Eyre was a good trade. Picking up D'Angelo Jimenez for very little seems to have been a good move. It sounds like he got some decent prospects out of the Lofton and Alomar Jr. trades (but not so with respect to the Durham and Howry deals). Didn't the guy they got for Herbert Perry have a good year last year, too? I'm not saying KW is a good GM or even that he should keep his job -- I think the Sox can and should do better than KW running the show. But I think it is unfair to ignore the fact that he has made a few good moves. It seems to be, based upon the fact that his few good moves seem to be the "little" trades for minor league types, that he may be well suited to working as a scout or otherwise in the minor leagues. But he clearly doesn't not have the know how to run a major league franchise.

Lip Man 1
10-09-2002, 11:25 AM
I respect your opinions but it's all academic anyway.

As long as Jerry Reinsdorf owns this club, Williams could trade for the remains of Babe Ruth and will not be fired.

Firing Williams is an admission that Reinsdorf was wrong in giving the final OK to hire him.

Jerry Reinsdorf's ego, arrogance and vindictiveness will not allow him to do that.

Note to Sox Brass: THREE QUARTERS of Minnesota's starting staff WAS ACQUIRED IN TRADES! (Milton, Reed, Mays...) See it IS possible to acquire pitching that actually does produce (unlike David Wells and Todd Ritchie)

Lip