PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens' contract

Paulwny
10-08-2002, 05:54 PM
I heard about this the last few days and found it hard to believe until I found this article.

Clemens is in the second year of a unique contract that paid him $10.3 million each of the past two seasons and guarantees him $10.3 million next season.

The catch? Clemens receives that $10.3 million even if he doesn't pitch for New York next season. The Yankees only rigged the contract that way to keep their 2001 and '02 payrolls at their desired levels.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0804/1413937.html

jortafan
10-08-2002, 08:21 PM
Also, it was supposed to ensure that Clemens got his 300th victory in Yankee pinstripes. Steinbrenner's people thought he would be at that level by the end of '02, so the idea of a third year's pay for no work was the extra incentive. So since Clemens is just shy of 300 (seven wins, to be exact), it's going to cost the Yanks big bucks to have him reach that milestone pinstripes. It almost would serve them right to have the Red Sox sign Clemens for one year, get to 300, and make Steinbrenner green with envy, although I understand Clemens is inclined to look favorably on the Texas teams.

Foulke You
10-09-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Also, it was supposed to ensure that Clemens got his 300th victory in Yankee pinstripes. Steinbrenner's people thought he would be at that level by the end of '02, so the idea of a third year's pay for no work was the extra incentive. So since Clemens is just shy of 300 (seven wins, to be exact), it's going to cost the Yanks big bucks to have him reach that milestone pinstripes. It almost would serve them right to have the Red Sox sign Clemens for one year, get to 300, and make Steinbrenner green with envy, although I understand Clemens is inclined to look favorably on the Texas teams.

Interesting. Is Clemens a Texas native? I can't imagine him wanting to pitch in the NL or at Juicebox Park in Houston. Tom Hicks funds seem pretty tapped in Arlington too. I think it unlikely that he'd go to one of the Texas teams. He'll probably be a Yankmee again next year. You have to wonder how long he can hold up. Age can strike a pitcher at any moment. Just look at David Wells.

FarWestChicago
10-09-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Is Clemens a Texas native?Yes.

Paulwny
10-09-2002, 12:27 PM
Interesting. Is Clemens a Texas native? I can't imagine him wanting to pitch in the NL or at Juicebox Park in Houston. Tom Hicks funds seem pretty tapped in Arlington too. I think it unlikely that he'd go to one of the Texas teams. He'll probably be a Yankmee again next year. You have to wonder how long he can hold up. Age can strike a pitcher at any moment. Just look at David Wells.

Rumors have Clemens' agent asking for $12-$13 mil/ year. If the yanks sign him, that's $22-$23 mil for next year. Supposedly the yankmee front office brass isn't happy with that idea.
Another glitch, he may ask for a 2-3 year contract.
Wherever he goes the yankmees will have to pay him $10 mil plus he gets whatever his agent obtains from another team.
Quite the contract compared to Frank's.

hold2dibber
10-09-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Rumors have Clemens' agent asking for $12-$13 mil/ year. If the yanks sign him, that's $22-$23 mil for next year. Supposedly the yankmee front office brass isn't happy with that idea.
Another glitch, he may ask for a 2-3 year contract.
Wherever he goes the yankmees will have to pay him $10 mil plus he gets whatever his agent obtains from another team.
Quite the contract compared to Frank's.

:reinsy
"See, those stooges in New York don't know how to run a baseball organization. They should take a lesson from me!"

Lip Man 1
10-09-2002, 07:20 PM
It was posted "just look at David Wells..."

Yea all Wells did was win 17 games, or was it 19????? He's certainly "done..."

Lip

Foulke You
10-10-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
It was posted "just look at David Wells..."

Yea all Wells did was win 17 games, or was it 19????? He's certainly "done..."

Lip

I was waiting for someone to say something about that!

Here is my reasoning:
Wells started the year great and in shape, as the year progressed he starting partying again in NY and putting the pounds back on. Injuries started to flare up halfway through the season. At $9 million dollars for 1 year, Wells was brought in as a big money guy to win the big games, especially with his glowing post season record. By the time he pitched against Anaheim, he had nothing in his fat @$$ gas tank.
I'll give him some credit for getting 19 wins but he did have the high powered NY Yankee offense behind him and Torre limited him to 6 innings on a lot of nights. The strong Yankee bullpen (regardless of what happened in the ALDS) will shut the door on and get wins for your starters. Plus a lefty pitching at Yankee stadium means he faces a primarily righty lineup in a park that is 400ft to left center.

You may still think I'm nuts but that is my opinion judging by what I saw from Wells wonderful last year with the Sox and the 2nd half of this year. I believe father time has caught up to him and I don't see him being very productive in the future.

hold2dibber
10-10-2002, 04:10 PM
I was waiting for someone to say something about that!

Here is my reasoning:
Wells started the year great and in shape, as the year progressed he starting partying again in NY and putting the pounds back on. Injuries started to flare up halfway through the season. At $9 million dollars for 1 year, Wells was brought in as a big money guy to win the big games, especially with his glowing post season record. By the time he pitched against Anaheim, he had nothing in his fat @$$ gas tank.
I'll give him some credit for getting 19 wins but he did have the high powered NY Yankee offense behind him and Torre limited him to 6 innings on a lot of nights. The strong Yankee bullpen (regardless of what happened in the ALDS) will shut the door on and get wins for your starters. Plus a lefty pitching at Yankee stadium means he faces a primarily righty lineup in a park that is 400ft to left center.

You may still think I'm nuts but that is my opinion judging by what I saw from Wells wonderful last year with the Sox and the 2nd half of this year. I believe father time has caught up to him and I don't see him being very productive in the future.

I disagree that Wells was brought in "as a big money guy to win the big games." Wells was brought to NY to be the fourth or fifth starter, and any time you get 19 wins out of your 4th or 5th starter, you've got to be happy. That said, he probably is on borrowed time.

Foulke You
10-10-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I disagree that Wells was brought in "as a big money guy to win the big games." Wells was brought to NY to be the fourth or fifth starter, and any time you get 19 wins out of your 4th or 5th starter, you've got to be happy. That said, he probably is on borrowed time.

The only problem with that theory is that the Yankees don't sign 4th or 5th starters. They sign five #1 starters.