PDA

View Full Version : Explosive Story

Lip Man 1
10-08-2002, 01:17 PM
Remember a few days ago, when Ray Durham spoke to the Daily Southtown and talked about the disfunctional relationship between Kenny Williams and the players (see thread Ray Durham Talks About White Sox).

Joe Cowley in today's (Tuesday's) Daily Southtown has an explosive follow up, quoting Frank Thomas and explaining just how bad things are in the locker room.

It's pretty incredible (and sickening if you root for the Sox). Here are a few examples...

"He painted a picture of a White Sox organization wanting control over its players from the moment the players wake up in the morning until they go to sleep at night.

"Things have really changed since 2000," Thomas said during the final weekend of the regular season.

While the Sox had their share of base-running snafus and pitching woes this year, it's clear that not all of their problems were on the field.

Thomas wasn't the first current or former Sox player to deride second-year general manager Ken Williams and his "hall monitors" for the way they conducted business.

Several players had already criticized hitting coach Gary Ward's military style, with one even calling it "a joke."

In fact, Durham said word is spreading around the league about how the Sox treat their players, which means potential free agents are listening.

"You didn't know who you could talk to or say something to because it always seemed to get back to Kenny," Durham said during Oakland's AL division series against Minnesota. "I mean, it was third grade (bleep). How can you talk to your coaches when they're running to the GM with everything you said?"

Durham said that during spring training and early in the regular season former Sox first-base coach Gary Pettis continually invited Durham to go out with him, only to find out everything the two discussed got back to Williams."

Cowley also goes on to talk about Daryl Boston and how naming him a coach could be disasterous.

Lip

Cheryl
10-08-2002, 01:50 PM
Here's (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/082sd2.htm) the link

cheeses_h_rice
10-08-2002, 02:05 PM
It's Williams who needs to loosen his noose of control on his players. It's obviously not working. As a matter of fact, the tighter he squeezes, the more he's losing his players between his fingertips.

:KW

I thought I was "loosening" things up when I came into the clubhouse, overturned a buffet table, and called my players b**ches and motherf***ers!

duke of dorwood
10-08-2002, 02:33 PM
:reinsy

Tolerates this in his other organization. Notice no big free agents go there either

rmusacch
10-08-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

Tolerates this in his other organization. Notice no big free agents go there either

Hell look how he treated the best player to ever play the game of basketball. If he had even treated him with one ounce of respect, we would not be seeing this embarrassment of him playing with the Wizards.

34 Inch Stick
10-08-2002, 04:52 PM
He treated him with 36 million ounces of respect a year. Chairman didn't treat any of the others around Jordan with respect. When you think about it how much respect does Horace, Scottie and Phil really deserve.

SI1020
10-08-2002, 05:07 PM
With each new Cowley article, my heart sinks further.

DVG
10-08-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Remember a few days ago, when Ray Durham spoke to the Daily Southtown and talked about the disfunctional relationship between Kenny Williams and the players (see thread Ray Durham Talks About White Sox).

Joe Cowley in today's (Tuesday's) Daily Southtown has an explosive follow up, quoting Frank Thomas and explaining just how bad things are in the locker room.

It's pretty incredible (and sickening if you root for the Sox). Here are a few examples...

"He painted a picture of a White Sox organization wanting control over its players from the moment the players wake up in the morning until they go to sleep at night.

"Things have really changed since 2000," Thomas said during the final weekend of the regular season.

While the Sox had their share of base-running snafus and pitching woes this year, it's clear that not all of their problems were on the field.

Thomas wasn't the first current or former Sox player to deride second-year general manager Ken Williams and his "hall monitors" for the way they conducted business.

Several players had already criticized hitting coach Gary Ward's military style, with one even calling it "a joke."

In fact, Durham said word is spreading around the league about how the Sox treat their players, which means potential free agents are listening.

"You didn't know who you could talk to or say something to because it always seemed to get back to Kenny," Durham said during Oakland's AL division series against Minnesota. "I mean, it was third grade (bleep). How can you talk to your coaches when they're running to the GM with everything you said?"

Durham said that during spring training and early in the regular season former Sox first-base coach Gary Pettis continually invited Durham to go out with him, only to find out everything the two discussed got back to Williams."

Cowley also goes on to talk about Daryl Boston and how naming him a coach could be disasterous.

Lip

Buh-bye, Frank. Diminished skills clause, here we go.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-08-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
He treated him with 36 million ounces of respect a year. Chairman didn't treat any of the others around Jordan with respect. When you think about it how much respect does Horace, Scottie and Phil really deserve.

I don't think there is much reason to argue Michael Jordan was an absolute steal at $36 million. NBA revenues suffered in both 1993 and 1998 when he retired.

Superstars are rarely overpaid. It's all the mediocrities whose salaries are pegged by the superstar's that bleed a team owner to death.

Reinsdorf has never personally negotiated a deal that was bad for his bottom line.

"The lousy deals were all done by my GM's."

RKMeibalane
10-08-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by DVG
Buh-bye, Frank. Diminished skills clause, here we go.

I had the same thought. Thomas is as good as gone with that comment. Williams is such an ass. Every time someone says something negative about him, his minions "spill the beans." The Sox organization may be the worst in professional sports as far as how the owner, GM, and manager coordinate their efforts. This is just pathetic.

I may have said this before, but I feel compelled to say it again. If Frank Thomas is wearing another uniform next season, I will hold Ken Williams responsible. I do not want see Thomas reclaim his place as the best hitter in baseball while playing his home games at Fenway Park.