PDA

View Full Version : Nice Owner, Eh?

Lip Man 1
10-07-2002, 12:18 PM
This is from Jim Capel's post game story on ESPN.com...

"Not only did the commissioner attempt to kill them off, so did their own owner, Carl (Montgomery Burns) Pohlad. He volunteered the Twins for contraction so that he could get the proposed buyout, believed to be as high as $200 million and as low as 30 pieces of silver.

Pohlad congratulated the team after the game but even as he walked through the champagne-soaked clubhouse, you got the impression that he would have quickly chosen the cash over making the next round of the playoffs.

"I don't feel guilty about anything. Why should I?" Pohlad snapped when a reporter asked that very question about his attempt to contract a possible World Series team. "If you had to pay the bills and they were $15 million to $20 million a year, you would make the same decision, too."

Perhaps, but Hunter was properly aghast at the comment. "I want to say something but I can't," Hunter said, biting his tongue so purposely he was in danger of going on the disabled list. "Now you've made me mad." "

Yea, I guess baseball needs more guys like Pohland, Reinsdorf, McClain, Glass etc... you know all those "so called" poor owners who only happen to be listed in Forbes 400 list of the richest Americans! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Lip

jortafan
10-07-2002, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry, but this is exactly the reason why I can't get excited about the idea of the Twins winning a pennant. The only reason their franchise was in trouble was because their owner allowed it to deteriorate, and even now won't sell unless he gets a big enough profit to satisfy his ego. I would love it if the Twins were able to resurrect itself under new ownership and become a viable franchise once again. Instead, Carl Pohlad will probably think it is his "genius" that got the team as far as it did. It's also the reason I don't rag of Reinsdorf as much as some White Sox fans do, because I see that there are worse owners.

Twins8791
10-08-2002, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Yea, I guess baseball needs more guys like Pohland, Reinsdorf, McClain, Glass etc... you know all those "so called" poor owners who only happen to be listed in Forbes 400 list of the richest Americans! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Lip

The problem is your list includes at least two different kinds of owners. One kind is the ones who want to win so much they write stupidly large checks for players they hope will give them a winner, thereby escalating the average team salaries and players' expectations. The other is one who likes a winner, but has a businessman's approach and wants value for his money. Pohlad gets no stadium revenue, no parking, no concession sales, no box rent. This is why he wants a stadium, and why a different stadium arrangement is the only thing which will help revenues on a permanent basis. I don't like defending him but it is more rational than spending big money for small players.

Lip Man 1
10-08-2002, 12:09 PM
With respect since you follow the Twins and probably know a little more about the situation then I do.

However, Carl Pohland is one of the 400 richest men in America with a new worth of over 2 BILLION DOLLARS according to Forbes Business Magazine.

Let him build his own damn park (like the Giants) and PAY FOR IT HIMSELF!

What is he going to do with all that money? Shovel it into his grave? His relations are already wealthy beyond belief for the next ten generations!

Let him take that damn money, build Twins fans a beautiful park on the Mississippi River, then when he drops dead, they can name it after him and he'll have a legacy.

The situation is about power and ego, period! He's been getting everything his way most of his life and he wants it to continue. Screw him and every other owner (especially jerry Reinsdorf) with that mentality.

Lip

Twins8791
10-08-2002, 09:26 PM
With respect since you follow the Twins and probably know a little more about the situation then I do.

However, Carl Pohland is one of the 400 richest men in America with a new worth of over 2 BILLION DOLLARS according to Forbes Business Magazine.

Let him build his own damn park (like the Giants) and PAY FOR IT HIMSELF!

What is he going to do with all that money? Shovel it into his grave? His relations are already wealthy beyond belief for the next ten generations!

Let him take that damn money, build Twins fans a beautiful park on the Mississippi River, then when he drops dead, they can name it after him and he'll have a legacy.

The situation is about power and ego, period! He's been getting everything his way most of his life and he wants it to continue. Screw him and every other owner (especially jerry Reinsdorf) with that mentality.

Lip

This is exactly the point - if it was his ego that was feeding, he would pour money in huge quantities for a ballpark, for big-name players, to protect his good name - that's not what he does. He expects the Twins to do what every other enterprise he has does - make money, or at least not lose money. It's his nature, good or bad. It's not ego. A very different mindset than, say, someone who might own a basketball team in Dallas.

RKMeibalane
10-08-2002, 09:35 PM
"I don't feel guilty about anything. Why should I?" Pohlad snapped when a reporter asked that very question about his attempt to contract a possible World Series team. "If you had to pay the bills and they were $15 million to $20 million a year, you would make the same decision, too."

:reinsy

"I taught him everything he knows."