PDA

View Full Version : Twins WOW!

Lip Man 1
10-06-2002, 07:37 PM
You may not like em' but you must give them credit...what a job by the Twins!

To win the last two against a club that won 103 games, amazing!

Those guys have gonads of stone.

What will be interesting now is if Carl Pohland will allow his GM to cut deals with all the arbitration eligible players (four of them...) and keep the club intact.

I hope he does, it'll be hilarious if the Twins have a higher payroll then the Sox! (The Sporting News estimates that to keep everyone will cause Minnesota's payroll to rise to 55 million...)

I can't wait to hear Reinsdorf's excuse, when asked how the Twins can afford to RAISE payroll while the Sox CUT!

Lip

doublem23
10-06-2002, 07:39 PM
To hell with the Twins.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
...I can't wait to hear Reinsdorf's excuse, when asked how the Twins can afford to RAISE payroll while the Sox CUT!

Well, I'm pretty sure the "too many fish live near the ballpark" excuse won't work. :smile:

:reinsy
"You Sox Fans are such imbeciles! Of course I'll have an excuse! Just give me a minute to think one up..."

"Okay, here we go. Minnesota can afford to keep all their players because through revenue sharing, small market teams now have a competitive ADVANTAGE over middle-market teams like our Sox."

:ohno
"Umm, Jerry. Chicago is the #3 market in the entire country. You're big market; not middle market."

"Precisely! That's why we need to become small market. Then we'll have all the advantages the Twins enjoy!"

MarkEdward
10-06-2002, 07:46 PM
Congrats to the Twins. Just think, this team wasn't supposed to be around 10 months ago! Now they have a great shot at making the World Series.

cheeses_h_rice
10-06-2002, 07:52 PM
Well, dammit, the Braves better hold on and win their series against the Giants, or else I will have predicted ALL FOUR first-round playoff series wrong.

(Plus the Braves are My Official Playoff Team, with the Angels a distant second.)

HawkDJ
10-06-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Well, dammit, the Braves better hold on and win their series against the Giants, or else I will have predicted ALL FOUR first-round playoff series wrong.

(Plus the Braves are My Official Playoff Team, with the Angels a distant second.)

Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat as you.

duke of dorwood
10-06-2002, 08:15 PM
Screw the Twins

:ray

Well, Alice, I GOT A BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEG MOUTH

Foulke You
10-06-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
To hell with the Twins.

Let me echo your statement and also if I may add that I hope the Halos sweep them right out of the ALCS. Torii Hunter's cocky @$$ and his tilted hat should be enough for any Sox fan to root against the Twins.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Let me echo your statement and also if I may add that I hope the Halos sweep them right out of the ALCS. Torii Hunter's cocky @$$ and his tilted hat should be enough for any Sox fan to root against the Twins.

The Angels have been around since 1961 and this is their first-ever playoff series win. Meanwhile the Twins are trying to sleaze their way to their third world championship in 16 years. In that span, has anyone won more of them this side of the Yankees?

Oh yes, they're the poor forlorned underdogs. Whine. Whine. Whine. <gag> <wretch>

The Haloes are my new team, not that it did Oakland any good.

:gulp:

FarWestChicago
10-06-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The Haloes are my new teamI always knew you liked the Rally Monkey. :D:

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-06-2002, 09:14 PM
blah...I just hope Atlanta wins today, I'm still in the fantasy post season survivor and there's about 600 people left, and I have the Braves for today, doesn't look too good >_<

sox_fan_forever
10-06-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat as you.

And I'm in the same boat as both of you.

If the Braves don't win this series I am going to be so bored with the NLCS. I'll still watch it but it won't be very exciting for me because I like neither the Cards nor the Giants.

WinningUgly!
10-06-2002, 09:46 PM
The Angels have been around since 1961 and this is their first-ever playoff series win. Meanwhile the Twins are trying to sleaze their way to their third world championship in 16 years. In that span, has anyone won more of them this side of the Yankees?

That is amazing when you think about how many times the Twins have been a doormat team. I think Toronto is the only other team to have multiple championships during that span.

voodoochile
10-06-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Congrats to the Twins. Just think, this team wasn't supposed to be around 10 months ago! Now they have a great shot at making the World Series.

They have home field advantage (and really the best one in baseball) until they win it all or get the boot. Who'd a thunk it...

PaleHoseGeorge
10-07-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I always knew you liked the Rally Monkey. :D:

Well, you have to admit, waving a rally monkey in the air is 1000-times more original than waving some 16 year-old snot rag. Is it any wonder the rest of the country thinks the Midwest is inhabited by nothing but dim-witted rubes?

Beware the monkey!

:)

FarWestChicago
10-07-2002, 12:16 AM
Well, you have to admit, waving a rally monkey in the air is 1000-times more original than waving some 16 year-old snot rag. Is it any wonder the rest of the country thinks the Midwest is inhabited by nothing but dim-witted rubes?LOL, I never thought of it that way before. :D:

ilovemags30
10-07-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

i know how u feel... *cries*

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
I like neither the Cards nor the Giants. How can you not like the Cards? A great baseball town, and they aggravate Cubs fans so much!

harwar
10-07-2002, 09:48 AM
I'm just glad the yankees are gone.I think the Angel - Twins is going to be one exciting series.I'm hoping for an Angels - Cardinals World Series,not only would it be great fun to watch, but i'll win some money at the same time.Screw oakland & atlanta,they can't even fill the house for Playoff Baseball.They can say what they want about Comiskey and us White Sox fans,but i'll tell you what,there wouldn't have been any empty seats for no Playoff game.

hold2dibber
10-07-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
How can you not like the Cards? A great baseball town, and they aggravate Cubs fans so much!

Exactly - my enemy's enemy is my friend

voodoochile
10-07-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Exactly - my enemy's enemy is my friend

Wasn't that the philosophy of the CIA when they backed Hussein?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-07-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Politics and baseball make strange bedfellows.

voodoochile
10-07-2002, 11:47 AM
Politics and baseball make strange bedfellows.

Is that a shot at George Will?

:D:

Cheryl
10-07-2002, 11:47 AM
From that article about Dennis Hocking getting hurt:

"The team Bud Selig tried to eliminate last winter is now playing for the AL pennant, and the commissioner likes what he sees.

"I'm delighted for them. It's a great story, just because of the way they're playing," Selig told the Associated Press from his Milwaukee home. "I'm enjoying watching them.

"The rest of it, the history of what happened before, it's in the past now."

Selig was still setting his travel plans for the week and wasn't sure whether he'd be able to make it to the Metrodome."

What an [insert appropriate word here]. If for no other reason, I'm rooting for the Twins this time. Bleep Selig and Pohlad too.

sox_fan_forever
10-07-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
How can you not like the Cards? A great baseball town, and they aggravate Cubs fans so much!

Well, I do end up rooting for them a lot because of that,lol. ;-)

But I don't know...I've never been able to get that excited about them. I guess it's just one of those things you can't put your finger on. *shrugs*

Soxheads
10-07-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Exactly.