PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* A's/Twins Game 5 thread


cheeses_h_rice
10-06-2002, 05:11 PM
Man, the A's better kick it in gear soon. They probably should be down 4-1, were it not for boneheaded running and bad umpiring.

Only Ray-Ray has showed up so far, and that ain't gonna get it done.

doublem23
10-06-2002, 05:23 PM
Would anyone be opposed to bringing Ray back for a year or so?

doublem23
10-06-2002, 05:45 PM
GO A'S! Score a god damn run!

cheeses_h_rice
10-06-2002, 06:43 PM
Gut check time, A's!!!!

Let's go!!!

FarWestChicago
10-06-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Gut check time, A's!!!!

Let's go!!! The A's are looking like they have beer guts at this point....

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2002, 06:55 PM
Miguel Tejada is batting a buck-fifty in the ALDS. To understand why the A's are on the brink of elimination, look no further.

:hurt
"I wonder if he's got a diminished skills clause, too?"

cheeses_h_rice
10-06-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
The A's are looking like they have beer guts at this point....

Yes, they are choking. I am really disgusted by their offensive output today, except for Ray.

doublem23
10-06-2002, 06:59 PM
Pierzynski....








































Over.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Miguel Tejada is batting a buck-fifty in the ALDS. To understand why the A's are on the brink of elimination, look no further.

:hitless
"A's fans, look no further for your new #3 hitter for the 2003 Athletics!"

:fans
<hysterical laughter>

FarWestChicago
10-06-2002, 06:59 PM
At least Billy Crotch held the Twinks down to give the A's a chance in the bottom of the ninth.

StepsInSC
10-06-2002, 07:00 PM
NOOOO!!! After all the smack I talked to Twins fans about how they wouldn't get anywhere in the playoffs this can't be happening...and they only have to play the angels to get to the WS...::sob::

cheeses_h_rice
10-06-2002, 07:01 PM
Well, that's that.

The floor is now yours, Twinkie Trolls...you deserve it.

FarWestChicago
10-06-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
The floor is now yours, Twinkie Trolls...you deserve it. This is true.

:tool

I did not try to contract the Twinkies!!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
NOOOO!!! After all the smack I talked to Twins fans about how they wouldn't get anywhere in the playoffs this can't be happening...and they only have to play the angels to get to the WS...::sob::

Ah yes, proving once again, "I would rather be lucky than good."

The luck started with Oakland's offense shutting down early in Game 1. The Twins stole that game. Now they have the clearest path to the World Series they could ever have hoped for.

Let me guess. The Twins get four home games in the WS this year, too?

doublem23
10-06-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Let me guess. The Twins get four home games in the WS this year, too?

Yes.

Why Art Howe chose to not go with Mulder/Zito in the 4 games instead of Mulder/Hudson I will never understand.

And the AL Winner gets 4 games at home this World Series... :whiner:

cheeses_h_rice
10-06-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Yes.

Why Art Howe chose to not go with Mulder/Zito in the 4 games instead of Mulder/Hudson I will never understand.

And the AL Winner gets 4 games at home this World Series... :whiner:

:burly

*chuckle, chuckle*

StepsInSC
10-06-2002, 07:07 PM
Although its looking good for the Twins, I firmly believe its the Cardinal's destiny to win it all. It sickens me enough if the Twins win the AL crown, but to me it seems the Cardinals have fate on their side. At least they better.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Although its looking good for the Twins, I firmly believe its the Cardinal's destiny to win it all. It sickens me enough if the Twins win the AL crown, but to me it seems the Cardinals have fate on their side. At least they better.

The folks in Saint Louis are STILL SORE about the way they lost the 1987 World Series inside that monstrosity of a dome.

Maybe it is payback time, but right now I wouldn't bet on it.

Could this be another Twinkie team of destiny?

:gulp:

cheeses_h_rice
10-06-2002, 07:14 PM
Somewhere in California, Mike Sciosia is undoubtedly quaffing a celebratory brewski right about now...

StepsInSC
10-06-2002, 07:21 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!! ONE MORE RUN

cheeses_h_rice
10-06-2002, 07:22 PM
Holy crap!

If the A's lose by one run, I'm going to hurl. That damn Koch!!!

FarWestChicago
10-06-2002, 07:22 PM
Wow, 3 runs. It's a good thing Crotch did his job in the top of the ninth!

StepsInSC
10-06-2002, 07:29 PM
im scared someone hold me

cheeses_h_rice
10-06-2002, 07:29 PM
Why aren't they pinch-running for Velarde?

StepsInSC
10-06-2002, 07:29 PM
wtp....

cheeses_h_rice
10-06-2002, 07:30 PM
:chunks

*#%^!$%$!%!#%$#!$ing Koch!!!

doublem23
10-06-2002, 07:34 PM
I hate the Twins.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2002, 07:38 PM
Did anyone else sense the irony of Ray Durham making the last out?

:ray
"Minnesota, that's a team I just can't see."

I bet our friends up in Minne-no-place didn't fail to notice.

:gulp:

HawkDJ
10-06-2002, 07:42 PM
Did you hear Pierzynski's comments after the game? Something like this...

"And Durham ended up making the last out. And he was the one who before the season said we had no chance, said we were a fluke."

Lip Man 1
10-06-2002, 08:13 PM
Here's another way to look at what the Twins did this year.....

For large amounts of the season, they lost guys like Brad Radke, Eric Milton and Joe Mays. That's three quarters of the starting staff, yet they STILL ran away with the division.

Contrast that to what happened to the Sox in 2001. The Sox lost a bunch of pitchers to injuries and fell apart.

My God, how good will the Twins be in 2003 if they keep everybody and the pitchers stay HEALTHY?????

I have this sudden sick feeling in my stomach!

Lip

guillen4life13
10-06-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Here's another way to look at what the Twins did this year.....

For large amounts of the season, they lost guys like Brad Radke, Eric Milton and Joe Mays. That's three quarters of the starting staff, yet they STILL ran away with the division.

Contrast that to what happened to the Sox in 2001. The Sox lost a bunch of pitchers to injuries and fell apart.

My God, how good will the Twins be in 2003 if they keep everybody and the pitchers stay HEALTHY?????

I have this sudden sick feeling in my stomach!

Lip

we should start a "sick stomach club" or we could just call it the "s.s. club"

ma-gaga
10-06-2002, 11:42 PM
The floor is now yours, Twinkie Trolls...you deserve it.

Holy Crap. Unbelievable. I'm stunned. Just stunned and unbelievably happy. Hey Oakland A's. Sit down! You're GM is amazing, but the GM didn't expect the Ray Ray factor. I was so happy to see the final out made by Durham. Durham just killed the Twinks in this series. It was so so sweet to see Durham pop-out to Hocking.

The mighty Angels are next. Twins with homefield advantage. The mighty Angels have one monster left-handed pitcher. Only one. The Twins eat up right-handers. Hopefully their pitching will continue to hold down the monster offense of the Angels. Hopefully they can score an earned run off of Troy Percival.

Hey, we're long suffering. It was sweet to have the 3 longest tenured Twins, (Radke, Hocking and Guardado) be such an integral part of this game. Kudos to Gardenhire.

The Twins need Guardado to stop giving up 3 run shots to the A's. Well, knock on wood, it was enough.

:) :) :)

PHG, is there any NL playoff combination where you'd consider rooting for the Twins?

FarWestChicago
10-06-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
The Twins need Guardado to stop giving up 3 run shots to the A's. Well, knock on wood, it was enough.Hey, Not Today Eddie was better than Billy Crotch...though it was close. :D:

WinningUgly!
10-06-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

PHG, is there any NL playoff combination where you'd consider rooting for the Twins?


The sCrUBS came up just short this year. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
PHG, is there any NL playoff combination where you'd consider rooting for the Twins?

I don't follow the N.L. at all. However, I feel a certain kinship with the Cardinals since they hate the Flubs almost as much as we do.
:smile:

I'm no fan of Atlanta, but after they got ripped off in 1991, I would enjoy seeing the Braves get payback over the Twinks.

I can't stand Barry Bonds and the Gnats. Here I would root for the Twins, simply because they are the A.L. representative.

Don't ever apologize for the Twins. It's better to be lucky than good, and the Twins are making all the luck they need.

3 world championships? Un-frickin' believable.

Twins8791
10-07-2002, 03:40 AM
We bad! We bad!

Anyway, FYI:

Twins led the season series with Anaheim this year, 5-4
including a 2-1 record in Anaheim. Should make for a good series!
Also Brad Radke is 11-4 with a 1.72 ERA in 18 career games against the Angels, the best on the staff. Unfortunately, He won't be rested enough to pitch until game 3.

Did I mention I have tickets? :smile: I can't go, though. They're on ebay, if you want to make the trip...

P.S. The Sox should feel a kinship with the A's. They both need a better catcher.

DVG
10-07-2002, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Hey, we're long suffering.


Huh???? Long suffering???? Our team hasn't been to the World
Series since 1959, hasn't won it since 1917!!! Your team was
still the pitiful Washington Senators when those events took
place and YOU'RE long suffering??

ma-gaga
10-07-2002, 09:02 AM
DVG,
How many games did the twins win in 1995? 1996? 1997? 1998? 1999? 2000?

Crappy ass teams every year. Sorry if I hit a nerve, but it really sucks watching a 65-70 win for 6 straight years. That's what I meant.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-07-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
DVG,
How many games did the twins win in 1995? 1996? 1997? 1998? 1999? 2000?

Crappy ass teams every year. Sorry if I hit a nerve, but it really sucks watching a 65-70 win for 6 straight years. That's what I meant.

Nobody (not even most Chicagoans) knows Sox Fans are "long-suffering" longer than anybody else. Longer than those insufferable jerks from New England. Longer than those confused morons from the North Side, perverts who think losing is cute. Since you are from out out of town, I can't blame you for not knowing this.

The LAST person around here claiming to be "long-suffering" ought to be a fan of any team that already has experienced two world championships within the birth of the last generation--and now has a golden chance at three. Is that clear? Sox Fans have gone through four generations without a championship and we're well on our way to our fifth. Understand?

This is the LAST PLACE you'll get any sympathy for consecutive losing seasons. We share a town with morons who lose and lose and lose, and yet every spring soak their pants after winning two games in a row. Just shut up, already.

You want long-suffering? YOU CAN'T HANDLE LONG-SUFFERING!!!

Twins fans... sheesh.

...okay... I feel better.

:gulp:

cheeses_h_rice
10-07-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Nobody (not even most Chicagoans) knows Sox Fans are "long-suffering" longer than anybody else. Longer than those insufferable jerks from New England. Longer than those confused morons from the North Side, perverts who think losing is cute. Since you are from out out of town, I can't blame you for not knowing this.

The LAST person around here claiming to be "long-suffering" ought to be a fan of any team that already has experienced two world championships within the birth of the last generation--and now has a golden chance at three. Is that clear? Sox Fans have gone through four generations without a championship and we're well on our way to our fifth. Understand?

This is the LAST PLACE you'll get any sympathy for consecutive losing seasons. We share a town with morons who lose and lose and lose, and yet every spring soak their pants after winning two games in a row. Just shut up, already.

You want long-suffering? YOU CAN'T HANDLE LONG-SUFFERING!!!

Twins fans... sheesh.

...okay... I feel better.

:gulp:

My sentiments exactly. While a nasty stretch the last decade may indeed suck, as a fan, CONSISTENT suckage a la the White Sox (no postseason series wins since the 1910s) is much, much, much worse, IMO.

The point is to get to the World Series and win it. Not only can't the Sox get to the Series (OK, once in the last 83 years), they haven't won it in the longest period of any team currently in baseball, except for our inept cousins to the North.

Twins fans = no sympathy here, sorry.

ma-gaga
10-07-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
This is the LAST PLACE you'll get any sympathy for consecutive losing seasons. We share a town with morons who lose and lose and lose, and yet every spring soak their pants after winning two games in a row.

That's fine, I apologize. Please don't compare me to a Cubs fan, I take more pride in myself than that.

I wasn't asking for sympathy here. My comments were simply pride in the individual players that have played on the Twins team during the recent crappy crappy seasons.

I did not mean it as a commentary on the entire HISTORY of the respective franchises.

Lip Man 1
10-07-2002, 01:13 PM
Paul Sullivan mentioned something to me this morning that upon considering was right on.

He said his favorite moment yesterday was when Durham was not in the on deck circle getting ready to hit in the 9th inning. He thought it would have been really funny had the game ended because the A's batted out of order!

He said he had no idea where Durham's head was.

Thinking it over, he's correct. I mean with everything on the line and you don't know you are supposed to be hitting?

Lip