PDA

View Full Version : Rooney Turning Down Cardinal Offer

Viva Magglio
10-06-2002, 04:52 PM
As you may have seen in the Barry Rozner link in another thread, it appears that John Rooney will stay in Chicago and not become the voice of the Cardinals. It has been rumored that St. Louis is going to get rid of current play-by-play voice Joel Myers. Myers replaced Jack Buck alongside Mike Shannon at the beginning of the season on KMOX and the Cardinal radio network. I don't believe Joe Buck does Cardinal games on KMOX but Fox Sports Net.

Rooney, who used to work at KMOX, would be a perfect fit in St. Louis. However, I'm glad he's staying here. Except for maybe Pat Foley, John Rooney is the best play-by-play announcer in Chicago.

MarqSox
10-06-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Except for maybe Pat Foley, John Rooney is the best play-by-play announcer in Chicago.

That's not even a contest. Rooney is the best around.

guillen4life13
10-06-2002, 08:19 PM
rooney is one of the top announcers in the country. he's a darn good basketball announcer also. he does final 4 rite?

Foulke You
10-06-2002, 08:42 PM
Glad Rooney is choosing to stay in Chicago. Let's hope he isn't the only one who chooses to stay in Chicago over St. Louis...

:burly
"I don't know what you're talkin' about!"

sox_fan_forever
10-06-2002, 09:28 PM
Oh good, I'm glad he's staying. Rooney definitely is very good. I was listening to him do the Twins today.

bc2k
10-06-2002, 10:03 PM
What a class act that John Rooney. He is the reason Hawk and BJ are put on mute. Does Rooney have an e-mail address where we can thank him?

RKMeibalane
10-06-2002, 10:32 PM
I too am glad he's staying. It's nice to see that there are people who are loyal to the Sox organization. Besides, Rooney is an excellent play-by-play announcer. He actually calls the game instead of talking about golf or when he played in Boston.

In response to bc2k's inquiry, I think people looking for his e-mail address can look at whitesox.com. They might have something there. Otherwise, I would look at Chicagosports.com or maybe WMVP 1000 AM's site.

nut_stock
10-06-2002, 11:43 PM
Rooney tried to get hired with KMOX to do Cardinals games several years ago, and KMOX turned him down. (my boss used to work Missouri tigers games with Rooney)