PDA

View Full Version : End of an Error

cheeses_h_rice
10-05-2002, 08:00 PM
Yanks lose! Yanks lose!!!

FarWestChicago
10-05-2002, 08:11 PM
I hope Benedict Giambi has enjoyed his first playoff appearance with the Skanks. :D:

Paulwny
10-05-2002, 08:15 PM
With a $130 mil payroll, King George must be on suicide watch.

cheeses_h_rice
10-05-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I hope Benedict Giambi has enjoyed his first playoff appearance with the Skanks. :D:

Don't forget the amazing contribution from David "I'm a Weasel When It Comes To Deals, Especially If the Yankees Give Me One" Wells in today's game.

Also nice to see Mr. Stud Alfonso Soriano absolutely not show up in the playoffs, as well as lousy contributions from mid-season acquisition$ like Jeff Weaver and Raul Mondesi. FINALLY all the cards don't fall into place for the bastards.

FarWestChicago
10-05-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Don't forget the amazing contribution from David "I'm a Weasel When It Comes To Deals, Especially If the Yankees Give Me One" Wells in today's game.

Also nice to see Mr. Stud Alfonso Soriano absolutely not show up in the playoffs, as well as lousy contributions from mid-season acquisition$ like Jeff Weaver and Raul Mondesi. FINALLY all the cards don't fall into place for the bastards. Yes, there were many things that contributed to the Trouncing of the Skanks being a thing of beauty. That may have been the first time I ever pulled for a team from LaLaLand. :smile:

Lip Man 1
10-05-2002, 10:24 PM
I'm extremely happy that the Yankees got beat but that's also made me apprehensive.

Here's why...

More then once George Steinbrenner has said "I'm not a good loser..."

Considering the Yanks won't have won the World Series for two straight years (Heavens, oh my!!!), Steinbrenner is liable to react in a spasm and basically say "screw the "salary cap", screw the "luxury tax", if I have to go out and spend 200 million bucks this off season, I will..."

Since he's going to target pitching, if I were Kenny Williams and I wanted to get help (and he damn well better...) I'd better be ready to MOVE VERY QUICKLY, if I'm going to try to sign a free agent or trade for anybody, because George damn sure will!

Lip

guillen4life13
10-06-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'm extremely happy that the Yankees got beat but that's also made me apprehensive.

Here's why...

More then once George Steinbrenner has said "I'm not a good loser..."

Considering the Yanks won't have won the World Series for two straight years (Heavens, oh my!!!), Steinbrenner is liable to react in a spasm and basically say "screw the "salary cap", screw the "luxury tax", if I have to go out and spend 200 million bucks this off season, I will..."

Since he's going to target pitching, if I were Kenny Williams and I wanted to get help (and he damn well better...) I'd better be ready to MOVE VERY QUICKLY, if I'm going to try to sign a free agent or trade for anybody, because George damn sure will!

Lip

man why is it that whenever i go onto this site something is brought to my attention that completely makes my heart sink?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
man why is it that whenever i go onto this site something is brought to my attention that completely makes my heart sink?

It's like reality TV, and you're one of the contestants, isn't it?

:gulp:

guillen4life13
10-06-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
It's like reality TV, and you're one of the contestants, isn't it?

:gulp:

i wouldn't know... i've never seen a reality tv show, so i don't know exactly how they work. enlighten me.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
i wouldn't know... i've never seen a reality tv show, so i don't know exactly how they work. enlighten me.

Real-life actors/actresses are put into situations they have no control over, and then just make it up for how they react. There is no script, and most of the suspense revolves around bitchy comments from the "losers" in whatever competition was going on.

Sox Fans = losers on reality TV shows.

Why am I just so sure Kenny Williams is going to get fleeced of at least one decent pitcher because Steinbrenner's Yankees couldn't shutdown the frickin' Angels?

:KW
"I've built several playoff-quality teams. Look at Oakland, for example."

:)

guillen4life13
10-06-2002, 01:00 AM
man, i love this site. the best news, the humor, yet:

"oh can't you see!?! You're bringin' on the heartbreak!"

i get what you're saying now. seriously though, isn't there some way we could just have a rally outside of comiskey park on a gameday next year (or better yet, at this coming soxfest) just protesting the way Jerry Reinsdorf runs this team? before this site i never had even a vague understanding of the way he runs this club, and now that i see it, the only solution is for him to either step down, or buckle down. neither seem too likely, but i think a protest of some sort would be good enough to egg him on a bit.

on the other hand, i think this is an issue that is a helluva lot less worthy of protest than many of the other things that are going on in and out of this country.

i just wanna see this team do something!

voodoochile
10-06-2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
With a $130 mil payroll, King George must be on suicide watch.

Yeah, I'm sure he is worried about the the payroll because the Yankees franchise is only worth $1 billion (with a 'B') and they are only bringing in $1/4 billion (there's that 'B' again) in revenue this year. Big George maybe upset about losing, but he is laughing all the way to the bank continuously, so the least of his worries is how much the Yankees spend on payroll.

:reinsy
"What's this? Spend money to make money? That's... that's... that's preposterous!"

WhiteSox = Life
10-06-2002, 02:45 AM
To start with, not to boast, but a certain somebody mentioned a certain shout how he thought that the Spank-These would go home after game 4.

On to Steinbrenner. This guy, no matter what people say (mostly people on the east-coast), is what is bringing baseball to its knees. It is great, though, to see that the out-of-whack salaries that his boys are being paid don't equate to World Series titles, at least not for this year.

George can do three things:
1. Stick with the same team and see what happens next year.
2. Dump salaries and bring up prospects.
3. Buy more high-priced players to bring to the team.

I'll give you 3 guesses to what Georgie Boy is going to do, and the first 2 don't count...

Paulwny
10-06-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life

George can do three things:
1. Stick with the same team and see what happens next year.
2. Dump salaries and bring up prospects.
3. Buy more high-priced players to bring to the team.

I'll give you 3 guesses to what Georgie Boy is going to do, and the first 2 don't count...

Quite a few decisions have to be made by the yankmees:
Starting pitching starting to show its age, injury prone
Clemens wants a 3 year contract some yankmee brass don't think he'll last 3 years, may leave.
Do they sign El Duque? God only knows how old he is.
Fat ass Wells has 2 more years on his contract, injury prone
King George will be eating all or part of R. White's and Sterling Hitchcock's contracts for next year. They'll be traded or released.
Drew Henson is not ready. Do they resign Ventura?
They pay Mondesi big $$ for his arm, he brings nothing to the offensive table.
Nick Johnson has been a dissappointment. Trade him or hope he improves next year.
Rivera looks like Lee on some fly balls. He may not be the answer in lf.
The once mighty bull pen has fallen apart. Mendoza is a fa and has stated he'd leave if a team offered him the opportunity to be a starting pitcher.
These were the views of the yankmee YES announcers.

Paulwny
10-06-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Yeah, I'm sure he is worried about the the payroll because the Yankees franchise is only worth $1 billion (with a 'B') and they are only bringing in $1/4 billion (there's that 'B' again) in revenue this year. Big George maybe upset about losing, but he is laughing all the way to the bank continuously, so the least of his worries is how much the Yankees spend on payroll.

:reinsy
"What's this? Spend money to make money? That's... that's... that's preposterous!"

I agree, however, King George never expected to be elimimated in the 1st round by a team with half his payroll. His ego has to be in shambles. At the beginning of the season many NY writers were calling this team the best team since the 50's.

DonkeyKongerko
10-06-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
His ego has to be in shambles.

Quite the contrary, I think that his ego is probably swelling right now. A martyr will probably be found in Brian Cashman to prevent George from sinking into depression.

Paulwny
10-06-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko
Quite the contrary, I think that his ego is probably swelling right now. A martyr will probably be found in Brian Cashman to prevent George from sinking into depression.

From Newsday:
The Boss likely will summon his key decision-makers for meetings as soon as this week, and he might even vent his anger by firing some of those people. For now, however, he took the diplomatic route.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-boss062954243oct06,0,7605674.story?coll=ny%2Dbaseb all%2Dheadlines

ScottyTheSoxFan
10-06-2002, 12:34 PM
last year he loses and brings in giambi, white, karsay, wells, etc,etc.

sadly, i predict he brings in greg maddux, among others.

cheeses_h_rice
10-06-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
last year he loses and brings in giambi, white, karsay, wells, etc,etc.

sadly, i predict he brings in greg maddux, among others.

:shammy

Have I ever told you how much I luvva the New York people?

dougs78
10-06-2002, 05:51 PM
Really, who would the yanks bring in if they want to increase to 200 million? I mean their staff is old...so signing maddux, glavine or moyer is not really going to make it a lot younger. I'm sure they will think of some way to screw over baseball, but I can't see how they are going to able to do their normal thing this offseason. there just isn't anyone out there get, unless they pull off some huge trades.

Lip Man 1
10-06-2002, 05:54 PM
These excerpts are from Sean McAdams' column which just came out on ESPN. com:

The pitching staff of any ballclub usually makes you or breaks you"--Brian Cashman (Just wondering, is the Sox front office paying attention to this? ML)

"You're never satisfied unless you get to the World Series "--Joe Torre (again are the Sox paying attention? ML)

"The first order of business, as absurd as it may strike some, is whether Cashman will be given the opportunity to remain on the job. Until owner George Steinbrenner signals otherwise, Cashman's three-year deal, signed last year, isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Time and again, Steinbrenner made the point this season that Cashman and the rest of his braintrust "assured" the owner that they were good enough to win it all." (If George let's him go, you don't suppose? Naw... Cashman would actually have to be paid real money! ML)

"Now that they haven't, an examination of the front office is likely. This marks two straight years that the Yanks have fallen short of their ultimate goal, and if the first miss could be considered a fluke, then this one won't be shrugged off quite so easily."

"Steinbrenner is likely to be more discriminating. It's hard not to detect a pattern of slippage on the part of the Yankees. Get to the World Series and lose one year; fall two rounds short the next."

"Perhaps the Yankees made so many changes -- five of the nine everyday position players -- that this group needed more time to learn how to play together, and more important, how to win together in the postseason. It's unlikely that rationalization will soothe Steinbrenner, who is more likely to begin fixing things with his checkbook -- and fast."

"So much for the theory that the onset of a luxury tax might rein in Steinbrenner's spending this winter. The Boss should be more determined than ever to reload." (THERE YOU GO FANS, THANKS FOR BACKING THE OWNERS IN THE LAST LABOR SITUATION! I guess those darn Sox, Royals and Brewers will really be ready to make that World Series next year LOL!)

Lip

Lip Man 1
10-06-2002, 06:01 PM
By the way, in case you're wondering, I think had the fans voiced their outrage at owners like Reinsdorf, Pohland, Glass, McClain etc... perhaps a shutdown of the game WOULD have occured and after six months, or a year or even a year and a half, these morons would have sold or been forced out, and owners who truly wanted to win (Cuban? Allen?? Gates???) might have come in and revitalized those franchises.

Yes I know, it would have been a longshot but do you think ANYTHING is going to change in baseball as long as these "so called" poor owners keep throwing up their collective hands and screaming "we can't compete, we can't compete." (Even though they have never really tried to!)

Lip

bc2k
10-06-2002, 09:53 PM
I recall in 2000, Mike Mussina said he would reject a trade sending him to the White Sox for the playoff run. So it is with utmost joy that since he has been a Yankee, his team hasn't won the World Series. You don't want to play for the Sox, [Seinfeld soup nazi voice] NO RING FOR YOU!

WinningUgly!
10-06-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
I recall in 2000, Mike Mussina said he would reject a trade sending him to the White Sox for the playoff run. So it is with utmost joy that since he has been a Yankee, his team hasn't won the World Series. You don't want to play for the Sox, [Seinfeld soup nazi voice] NO RING FOR YOU!

I don't remember, did Mussina single out the White Sox? I remember at one point, towards the deadline, he said he'd veto any trade at all.

doublem23
10-06-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/4267.jpg
<chuckle>Yeah, that's it!

Paulwny
10-07-2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
These excerpts are from Sean McAdams' column which just came out on ESPN. com:
"So much for the theory that the onset of a luxury tax might rein in Steinbrenner's spending this winter. The Boss should be more determined than ever to reload." (THERE YOU GO FANS, THANKS FOR BACKING THE OWNERS IN THE LAST LABOR SITUATION! I guess those darn Sox, Royals and Brewers will really be ready to make that World Series next year LOL!)

Lip

I guess it's all a matter of a writer's take on the situation.
From Newsday:

Money. With the new luxury tax kicking in, George Steinbrenner likely will order his lieutenants to curtail their spending. This could affect the decisions on Clemens, Stanton and Mendoza, as well as trade talks involving White and Mondesi. It will be difficult to lower the payroll, as many of their stars will receive raises as per their backloaded contracts, but don't expect The Boss to make any new major expenditures.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-yanks072955612oct07,0,508261.story?coll=ny%2Dbaseb all%2Dheadlines