PDA

View Full Version : Benji Gil


doublem23
10-02-2002, 08:51 PM
Remember when he wasn't good enough to be the Sox shortstop? Don't you feel bad for the poor Angels who are stuck with him?

DrCrawdad
10-02-2002, 11:10 PM
When was Gil with the Sox? Was Gil in the Sox farm system?

doublem23
10-02-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
When was Gil with the Sox? Was Gil in the Sox farm system?

Schueler brought him in (FA from Texas, IIRC) in 1999 (?). It was JM's first year. Anyways; long story short, Gil never made it to the show with the Sox and I thought he had disappeared off the face of the figurative baseball world, but there he is.. starting on a play-off team...

Sounds like someone else...

:ray
Hey, at least they got something for me.

ScottyTheSoxFan
10-06-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Schueler brought him in (FA from Texas, IIRC) in 1999 (?). It was JM's first year. Anyways; long story short, Gil never made it to the show with the Sox and I thought he had disappeared off the face of the figurative baseball world, but there he is.. starting on a play-off team...

Sounds like someone else...

:ray
Hey, at least they got something for me.

shu traded larry thomas and al levine (young, bad relievers) for gil. thanks to gil sucking in spring training, mike caruso was rushed to the majors from A ball. (smart move. for one year.) gil reminds me of our opening day starting shortstop the past couple of years, only he keeps his mouth shut.

RichH55
10-07-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
shu traded larry thomas and al levine (young, bad relievers) for gil. thanks to gil sucking in spring training, mike caruso was rushed to the majors from A ball. (smart move. for one year.) gil reminds me of our opening day starting shortstop the past couple of years, only he keeps his mouth shut.


Didnt Levine pitch pretty decently this year?>

Foulke You
10-07-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Didnt Levine pitch pretty decently this year?>

Al Levine has blossomed into a pretty darn good setup man. Yet another young arm the Sox basically gave away. Larry Thomas never amounted to anything though.

Gil played with the Sox through Spring Training of '98 and he was so bad in the pre season, the Sox rushed Caruso to the bigs. Gil has never been a good hitter (usually a Royce-ish .210) but he has a tendency to get big hits. I still would take Valentin over Gil any day.

kermittheefrog
10-07-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Schueler brought him in (FA from Texas, IIRC) in 1999 (?). It was JM's first year. Anyways; long story short, Gil never made it to the show with the Sox and I thought he had disappeared off the face of the figurative baseball world, but there he is.. starting on a play-off team...



He's not a regular. He got all of 130 ABs this year. He only makes it into the lineup against tough lefties for Adam Kennedy.

hold2dibber
10-07-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Al Levine has blossomed into a pretty darn good setup man. Yet another young arm the Sox basically gave away. Larry Thomas never amounted to anything though.


Yeah, but IIRC, Thomas had at least one great game against the Cubs in the old "Windy City Classic". I will, therefore, always speak well of him and remember him fondly.

MarkEdward
10-07-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Didnt Levine pitch pretty decently this year?>

Levine didn't pitch very well this year, but he was great from '98 until '01. I could see why he was traded: Levine was awful the two times he was called up to the Sox, and his minor league numbers weren't mind-blowing.