PDA

View Full Version : Empty Seats in Atlanta

duke of dorwood
10-02-2002, 03:22 PM
Looked in on the game at lunch. There were many empty seats there, looked like at least 10,000 empty. I cant believe fans here would ever let that happen, even if we won every year like them.

cheeses_h_rice
10-02-2002, 03:33 PM
One of my brothers just moved to Chicago a year or so ago from Atlanta, after having lived there for close to 20 years and been a huge Braves fan.

He said that we'd feel differently if our team went to the playoffs as many years in a row as the Braves have. I told him that I doubted that very much.

My take on it is (after having lived in Alabama for a few years), southerners aren't nearly as passionate about baseball as they are football, be it high school, college or pro. Atlanta in particular is a pretty wishy-washy city when it comes to pro sports. Toss in the "expected" nature of the Braves' performance with their pitching roster, and they got complacent, real complacent.

Which is a shame. My favorite NL team is the Braves due to my onetime ties to the South. I am planning on going down for a WS game or two if they get that far. I would totally be there for nearly any playoff game, too, if I lived there.

Randar68
10-02-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Looked in on the game at lunch. There were many empty seats there, looked like at least 10,000 empty. I cant believe fans here would ever let that happen, even if we won every year like them.

I really don't think they will resign Glavine or Maddux. I think they will be cutting payroll and doing a little "retooling." They have some very good positional prospects, but not as much in the pitching department as they have had in the past.

I would love to see Either Glavine (not likely with his player rep status and JR's history) or Maddux signed to a long-term deal (which they will not fulfill due to retirement) to help these young pitchers along. Namely, I'd love to see Maddux.

Don't know if we'll get either, but one of those two guys with the other arms we have might make us instant favorites for the Central.

nixsox
10-02-2002, 03:58 PM
It looked like there was about 5000 empty seats in Oakland also.

Dadawg_77
10-02-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by nixsox
It looked like there was about 5000 empty seats in Oakland also.

Oakland had a crowd of 34,853 out of 48,219 seats. From the TV view some of those seats look horrible places to watch a ball game. Esp. the Upper deck in center.

ode to veeck
10-02-2002, 06:12 PM
I am still getting more than daily notes from the As box office about the availability of playoff tix----there's no more charlie finley to hate here (for what he did to the bay area with the seals), so its got to be more than that--maybe the neighborhood, city, etc, as the Collesium's actually a pretty decent park, even with the new raiders' outfield seats

ode to veeck
10-02-2002, 06:14 PM
most of the park is actually pretty good seats, those boxes and seats miles from the diamond in the OF were added for the raiders when Al Davis got done extorting money from LA, they are horrible seats for a baseball game, unless you're extremely far-sighted ;-)

StepsInSC
10-02-2002, 06:33 PM
I live 1 1/2 hours out of atlanta, and it is different. its impossible to imagine for those not from around here but its pretty much assumed the Braves are going to the WS so the division series doesnt mean a whole lot.

HawkDJ
10-02-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
I live 1 1/2 hours out of atlanta, and it is different. its impossible to imagine for those not from around here but its pretty much assumed the Braves are going to the WS so the division series doesnt mean a whole lot.

Just another reason why it stinks to be a Sox fan. We would be thrilled to make a division series. Oh well, what can you do?

Twins8791
10-02-2002, 09:41 PM
The 'dome is sold out for the Twin's game 3 and 4. Did I mention I have tickets? :smile:

The A's games weren't sold out because the Oakland sports of choice are 1) football and 2) mugging old people. Baseball is down on the list, coming just after raising taxes.

SoxFan14
10-03-2002, 10:41 AM

Well, the Braves have only gone to the World Series 3 times in the last 7 years. Granted, I would LOVE to be in that position but it's not like they should just be assuming it anymore.

And when the Bulls were in the midst of their championship run, does anyone remember there being thousands of empty seats at the Bulls playoffs games? I sure don't.

MarqSox
10-03-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Twins8791
The 'dome is sold out for the Twin's game 3 and 4. Did I mention I have tickets? :smile:

The A's games weren't sold out because the Oakland sports of choice are 1) football and 2) mugging old people. Baseball is down on the list, coming just after raising taxes.

Hmm ... I distinctly recall a Vikings playoff game not more than 3 or 4 years ago in which the Dome didn't sell out ... talk about calling the kettle black.

Bottom line is, whatever the reason, you would NEVER see a Chicago playoff game, in any sport, not sell out. And to excuse the Braves' lack of sellouts because they're "expected" is ridiculous -- the Bulls always sold out even the most obvious gimme games in their playoff runs.

voodoochile
10-03-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Hmm ... I distinctly recall a Vikings playoff game not more than 3 or 4 years ago in which the Dome didn't sell out ... talk about calling the kettle black.

Bottom line is, whatever the reason, you would NEVER see a Chicago playoff game, in any sport, not sell out. And to excuse the Braves' lack of sellouts because they're "expected" is ridiculous -- the Bulls always sold out even the most obvious gimme games in their playoff runs.

In fact the Sox canceled a game one late April evening due to "cold". They did it in the afternoon and it was no colder than other nights they had played on. The real reason of course was that they didn't want to play baseball on a cold Friday night against the Bulls in the playoffs on prime time.

The streets used to become deserted during the finals every year. I mean you'd see practicallly no one at all walking or driving around downtown during the games. Chicago loves its winners...

CLR01
10-03-2002, 02:06 PM

I may be mistaken but i was at game 2 in 2000 and they either didnt sell out that game or a lot of people with UD seats didn't show up.

maurice
10-03-2002, 03:00 PM

When the North Stars were in the Stanley Cup semi-finals v. Edmonton in 1991, I bought two 15th row seats at the Met Center box office on the day of the game. (Try doing that at a Blackhawks regular season game.)

After that experience, I was not at all surprised to learn that Minnesota was losing its NHL franchise to the great hockey state of Texas.

ode to veeck
10-03-2002, 08:35 PM
The A's games weren't sold out because the Oakland sports of choice are 1) football and 2) mugging old people. Baseball is down on the list, coming just after raising taxes

actually that's the old list, as homicides in Oakland are way up this year. baseball's somewhere below motorcycle gangs and above paying taxes (in terms of proportion of population participating)

foulkesfan11
10-04-2002, 01:15 AM
I'm glad there's empty seats in Atlanta. :D:

SI1020
10-04-2002, 08:43 AM
Atlanta is the classic American sun belt "boom" town. Many of the people that live in the Atlanta area are not even from the south. They didn't grow up rooting for the Braves. You just don't find as many dyed in the wool hard core fans in the sun belt as you do up north. Also, among native southerners football, both the college and pro variety is more popular than baseball. NASCAR is also big.

soxtalker
10-04-2002, 10:01 AM
While the Bulls may have sold out all of their play-off games, I do recall a signficant change in the attitude of the fans over the 8-year run. At the beginning, we were hungry, thrilled with all of the wins, and even a bit humble. By the end, fans were certain of winning and assumed the victories were ours by right. I used to cringe at arrogant actions/comments of some fans, which reminded me of Boston and NY. Now, I don't say this to be overly critical. It's just that winning is particularly fun when you haven't experienced it for awhile. I'd guess that if we'd had the kind of streak that Atlanta has had, we might not be filling up the park in the early series. Oakland is a bit tougher to explain.

One other possible factor when making a comparison to the Bulls -- how much of the Bulls attendance is covered by season ticket holders? The total attendance for a game is smaller than baseball.

MarqSox
10-05-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
I may be mistaken but i was at game 2 in 2000 and they either didnt sell out that game or a lot of people with UD seats didn't show up.

I was at the same game and I have a different recollection. That place was beyond sold out, and it was buzzing. Besides, it was sold out within 2 hours of going on sale ... I know because I tried to get tickets and had to buy mine on eBay.