PDA

View Full Version : Olivo Ready?

hold2dibber
10-02-2002, 11:22 AM
It appears that most posters on this board have concluded that Olivo will be on the major league roster when the Sox break camp next Spring. My questions are:

(1) Do our minor league experts agree that he is ready?

(2) Does anyone know if the Sox think Olivo is ready (as the Crede affair taught us, they're generally not in a big hurry to get position players up the majors)?

Based upon the small sample we saw from him at the end of the season, he looks as if he may be ready, but it is awfully hard to tell based on a dozen ball games or so.

Iwritecode
10-02-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
It appears that most posters on this board have concluded that Olivo will be on the major league roster when the Sox break camp next Spring. My questions are:

(2) Does anyone know if the Sox think Olivo is ready (as the Crede affair taught us, they're generally not in a big hurry to get position players up the majors)?

Based upon the small sample we saw from him at the end of the season, he looks as if he may be ready, but it is awfully hard to tell based on a dozen ball games or so.

I don't think I have really read anything that gives me management's opinion on him. It all depends on what they decide to do with Josh Paul. They have hinted at what they plan on doing with other players such as Jiminez and Borchard but nothing really about Olivo that I've seen at least.

rmusacch
10-02-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I don't think I have really read anything that gives me management's opinion on him. It all depends on what they decide to do with Josh Paul. They have hinted at what they plan on doing with other players such as Jiminez and Borchard but nothing really about Olivo that I've seen at least.

What are the hints saying for Borchard and Jimenez?

PANFIRECRACKER
10-02-2002, 12:17 PM
Start Olivo. He'll need a year to learn the league and Cooper.

WinningUgly!
10-02-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Not sure what our minor league experts think, but I can't see how Johnson or Paul could be roadblocks keeping Olivo in AAA. It was a different story with Crede & the fat contracts of Clayton & Valentin keeping him off the roster. It didn't have a thing to do with what was best for the team, just KW's lame attempt at trying to justify his misspending of JR's $$$$.

duke of dorwood
10-02-2002, 01:12 PM
He has to play-part of that "strong up the middle" thing. He certainly
wont hit worse than the other 2 and is better defensivly. It's a gimme that he plays. That's what worries me.

hold2dibber
10-02-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Not sure what our minor league experts think, but I can't see how Johnson or Paul could be roadblocks keeping Olivo in AAA. It was a different story with Crede & the fat contracts of Clayton & Valentin keeping him off the roster. It didn't have a thing to do with what was best for the team, just KW's lame attempt at trying to justify his misspending of JR's $$$$.

True, but if the Sox think he truly is lacking in part of his game (swing too long, not enough plate discipline, needs improvement on footwork or throwing motion, etc.) they may decide to let him learn in the minors rather than risk bringing him up and having his confidence take a hit by failing at the MLB level.

Iwritecode
10-02-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
What are the hints saying for Borchard and Jimenez?

I've read where Borchard says that he doesn't think he's ready and the the Sox brass tends to agree. We are fairly deep in OF spots anyway. With Jimenez, who else do we have to play second? Graffy? Harris? When JM put his "A" lineup on the field to get Burly his 20th win, Jimenez was the starter at 2nd.

HawkDJ
10-02-2002, 04:03 PM
I think my sig says it all. I'm ok if they want to be careful and leave Olivo in the minors next year. I don't want them to ruin him like some of our older prospects. Olvio can hit, run and throw. The one complaint I heard is he isn't a good pitch caller. That won't be too hard to work on and he still could get calls from the dugout.

RichH55
10-03-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I think my sig says it all. I'm ok if they want to be careful and leave Olivo in the minors next year. I don't want them to ruin him like some of our older prospects. Olvio can hit, run and throw. The one complaint I heard is he isn't a good pitch caller. That won't be too hard to work on and he still could get calls from the dugout.

He is quite simply our best and nearly only option, and I dont think pitch calling is a strength for Johnson or Paul....Johnson might be better than Paul at it, but still a stretch to call him good at it