PDA

View Full Version : Attendance Down 6%

Procol Harum
09-30-2002, 03:42 PM
Here's a link to the story at ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0930/1439301.html

Were people scared away by the strike talk, did the non-pennant races in the NL East and AL Central contribute, is it more evidence of baseball's declining popularity among the general population, all three, or none of the above?

duke of dorwood
09-30-2002, 04:25 PM
Must be strike talk-attendance only seems to fall in proximity to that. Also, I dont think any new stadiums opened this year. Past few years have shown big improvements in attendance the first year of new stadiums. I'm sure there were huge drop offs in towns that opened stadiums the prior few years.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-01-2002, 08:12 PM
Frankly, I'm surprised it is only down 6 percent. After the 1994-95 strike, it was down over 20 percent. I guess MLB ducked the really big attendance drop-off by reaching a labor settlement. However, it seemed like hardly anybody was drawing more fans than last year.

I'd say they were damned lucky to only suffer 6 percent. Maybe paid attendance was down six percent, but actual attendance was considerably less?

:gallas
"See, this is why my strategy to drive walkup sales is such a genius move for the Sox. We don't sell any tickets unless somebody shows up to watch the game! Aren't I smart?"

:ohno
"We're doomed."