PDA

View Full Version : Coaches

OfficerKarkovice
09-29-2002, 08:20 PM
Maybe I missed this being posted somewhere else but if not...

The White Sox fired third base coach Wallace Johnson and reassigned first base coach Gary Pettis within the organization.

According to ESPN.

DrCrawdad
09-29-2002, 08:48 PM
I expect to hear that Darryl Boston is the new Sox 3rd base coach.

Sox website article... (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20020929&content_id=141534&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

doublem23
09-29-2002, 08:52 PM
Out with some of Kenny's goons, in with the others...

voodoochile
09-29-2002, 09:08 PM
ahhh... so that was the problem. Now the Sox are sure to win it all... You know I remember that year the Yankees completely sucked it up and then they fired the first and third base coaches and the next year they won the first of a string of championships... no wait, I don't remember that at all...

PaleHoseGeorge
09-29-2002, 09:21 PM
Wavin' Wally was Manuel's man. He's out.

Pettis was Williams' man. He's being accommodated.

Take a guess which one was more incompetent. That's right.

I agree with Crawdad. Williams will bring in that numbskull Boston to be third base coach. Then he'll have all his own goons on Manuel's staff. From there dismissing Manuel will be easy. He will be on the last year of his contract.

If the Sox aren't playing well by next June, Manuel is a goner. And guess who will be right there ready to fill his shoes, already with 3 months of watching the team under his belt? That's right! Newly promoted 3rd base coach, Darryl Boston.

This nightmare just keeps getting worse and worse.

:ohno
"More alcohol, please. And a gun, too."

duke of dorwood
09-29-2002, 09:25 PM
:waving

Wavin bye bye

PaleHoseGeorge
09-29-2002, 09:29 PM
:schueler
"Even I don't want anything to do with this horse**** outfit anymore!"

:jerry
"Take me with you! Please!"

voodoochile
09-29-2002, 09:39 PM
:gallas
"And then the team came together under Darryl Boston and the Sox went on a mighty tear and won the pennant, storming through the World Series.... ah forget it, even I can't sell that much crap..."

:KW
"Uh, JR about your boy Rob, he really isn't cutting it anymore. I can't work with him, but I have a great PR guy in mind to replace him..."

:reinsy
"Just so long as Elvis comes to the park a couple of times every year, I love that guy..."

duke of dorwood
09-29-2002, 09:42 PM
:KW

I luuuuv changes

rmusacch
09-29-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I agree with Crawdad. Williams will bring in that numbskull Boston to be third base coach. Then he'll have all his own goons on Manuel's staff. From there dismissing Manuel will be easy. He will be on the last year of his contract.

What is Daryl Boston doing these days? Is he in the organization? How do you guys know that he and KWilly are tight.

RKMeibalane
09-29-2002, 10:07 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf, please sell the team, NOW! How much worse is this situation going to get before it gets better?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-29-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
What is Daryl Boston doing these days? Is he in the organization? How do you guys know that he and KWilly are tight.

Didn't they run him out of Charlotte? I'm guessing they've got him checking out the board of fare at Waffle House and snacking on pecan rolls at Stuckey's. His call north to join his pal Kenny has been speculated on in print here in Chicago several times this summer. :smile:

DrCrawdad
09-29-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Boston is a Sox minor league coach.

There have been reports in various places are Kenny guys. I distinctly remember WSCR's Boers & Bernstein talking about Boston. As well here on WSI, where there have been reports of Boston and Sox minor league hitting coach Greg Walker not hitting it off well.

RKMeibalane
09-29-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Boston is a Sox minor league coach.

There have been reports in various places are Kenny guys. I distinctly remember WSCR's Boers & Bernstein talking about Boston. As well here on WSI, where there have been reports of Boston and Sox minor league hitting coach Greg Walker not hitting it off well.

Boston isn't getting along with anyone. Apparently, he delegates his responsibilities to other coaches. He is supposed to hit fungos during infield practice, but instead, he sits on the side eating junk food, or so I'm told. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that those rumors are true.

TornLabrum
09-29-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Boston isn't getting along with anyone. Apparently, he delegates his responsibilities to other coaches. He is supposed to hit fungos during infield practice, but instead, he sits on the side eating junk food, or so I'm told. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that those rumors are true.

I've been told the same thing, and I've seen it in print.

OfficerKarkovice
09-29-2002, 11:37 PM
A little more, from the Trib:

MINNEAPOLIS -- MINNEAPOLIS -- Baserunning gaffes by White Sox players from start to finish cost Wallace Johnson and Gary Pettis their coaching jobs Sunday.

Johnson, the third-base coach, was fired just before the flight home from Minnesota. Pettis, the first-base coach, was reassigned to another job in the Sox organization.

Johnson, a longtime friend of manager Jerry Manuel's, had been the third-base coach since Manuel was hired in 1998. Lauded as "Waving Wally" in 2000 thanks to an aggressive running game, Johnson fell out of favor when that aggressiveness backfired more often than not.

Pettis, a friend of general manager Ken Williams', was a minor-league instructor whom Williams promoted in 2001 to coach first and instruct Sox outfielders and baserunners.

Minor-league outfield instructor Darryl Boston, a former Sox player, is expected to be named first-base coach. Double-A Birmingham manager Wally Backman is a leading candidate for the third-base job.

DrCrawdad
09-30-2002, 07:50 AM
Karkovice, I'm not policing you - but I wonder if you've posted too much of that Cubune article.

See this WSI notice on posting articles... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15002)

hold2dibber
09-30-2002, 09:18 AM
Why is everyone getting so worked up? Pettis clearly wasn't getting the job done and Wavin' Wally seemed okay to me, but I don't think keeping him or dumping him would have any effect on the Sox' chances next year. And with regard to D. Boston, I would remind everyone to take media reports with a grain of salt -- as an example, for two weeks EVERY media outlet in Chicago said it was pretty much a done deal that the DSC would be invokd and Frank would be forced out of Chicago. Now every media outlet in Chicago is saying Frank is for sure staying. So who knows who the next 3rd base coach will be (and frankly, who cares? I don't think the differences between one 3rd base coach and the next will have any impact upon how many W's this team wins next year).

ScottyTheSoxFan
09-30-2002, 03:04 PM
now would be a great time to bring in ozzie guillen. wait.. nevermind we have

:reinsy running the team

DrCrawdad
09-30-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
now would be a great time to bring in ozzie guillen. wait.. nevermind we have

:reinsy running the team

Ozzie as the Sox 1st base coach would be great! A fan favorite, good PR.

Ok now way will the Sox go that route. Expect Darryl Boston.

voodoochile
09-30-2002, 04:37 PM
Ozzie as the Sox 1st base coach would be great! A fan favorite, good PR.

Ok now way will the Sox go that route. Expect Darryl Boston.

Yeah, DB was an absolute God to Sox fans. They'll be swarmng the turnstyles...

At least Ozzie might have brought in a few fans. The only players JR ever shows loyalty to are the cheap ones - Just like on the Bulls.

DrCrawdad
09-30-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Yeah, DB was an absolute God to Sox fans. They'll be swarmng the turnstyles...

At least Ozzie might have brought in a few fans. The only players JR ever shows loyalty to are the cheap ones - Just like on the Bulls.

I don't know if you misunderstood me but I'm all for Ozzie Guillen being brought on board.

Wasn't Darryl Boston accused of rape? IIRC Boston was accused of rape but then the accuser dropped the charges.

voodoochile
09-30-2002, 05:39 PM
I don't know if you misunderstood me but I'm all for Ozzie Guillen being brought on board.

Wasn't Darryl Boston accused of rape? IIRC Boston was accused of rape but then the accuser dropped the charges.

No, I understood you and agreed with you too. My point was that DB was not a fan favorite - not that we hated him but he was just never good enough to become a fan favorite, even for all of Hawks build up (shocking, I know). DB won't bring in anyone to the park. Ozzie might have brought out at least a couple of fans to just see Ozzie in a Sox uniform again...

Paulwny
09-30-2002, 07:16 PM
During an interview, Tom Seaver said that D. Boston was the most physical athelete he ever played with. He also inferred that he had no desire to excel.
He'll fit right in.