PDA

View Full Version : 81-81 finish...how fitting

cheeses_h_rice
09-29-2002, 04:31 PM
One of the most mediocre, frustrating Sox teams in my lifetime. Choking away a near lock on an above-.500 season by losing 3 frustrating games to the effing Twins, too. I can't say I'm going to shed any tears at seeing this season end.

Go Braves!

DrCrawdad
09-29-2002, 05:14 PM
Was Manuel stoned today? What was up with that lineup? Why didn't Manuel yank Porzio? Why was Harris batting in the ninth with Konerko, Thomas & Magglio all sitting on the bench?

Frustrating end to a frustrating season.

GASHWOUND
09-29-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
One of the most mediocre, frustrating Sox teams in my lifetime. Choking away a near lock on an above-.500 season by losing 3 frustrating games to the effing Twins, too. I can't say I'm going to shed any tears at seeing this season end.

Go Braves!

Sheesh, swept outa town..and we pitched excellent all 3 games..but our lackluster offense reared its ugly head in this series..I still can't believe this team was 2nd in the league in runs..And another interest of note, no team scored more than 900 runs in a season..Yanks were 1st with like 870 or something..forget..I didn't think that would happen..we were all saying how the Sox were gonna score over 1000 runs this year..but George Offman(sp) brought up a good point yesterday..If Ritchie had a mediocre ear, like 11-9 or something like that we would have around 87 victories..not enough to win the division, but more respectable.
We needed Ritchie to win 15 or 16 games..and Thomas to show up this entire year.. That would have given us at least over 90 wins..
Sigh, just wish we would've won yesterday to give Burly his 20th..Damn TWINS ran away with the division and than kicked dirt in our faces by sweeping us this final series and denying Burly's 20th..Bad times

And go A's!!

Like them to stick it to Giambi and the Yanks..

FarWestChicago
09-29-2002, 05:40 PM
It could be worse. You could live in an area where both the local teams are in the playoffs. Oh wait, I do... :(:

duke of dorwood
09-29-2002, 05:48 PM
I don't think this manager is capable of beating Minn. Todays game was the white(sox) flag

Lip Man 1
09-29-2002, 06:58 PM
I sure hope the Sox got the Twins "message" this weekend.

If they have any hope of contending next year, they better play hard from the start, show some guts and desire and get a LOT more pitching both starting and in relief.

The bullpen was awful this weekend and the Sox should have done everybody a favor by not even showing up.

They looked like they could care less about finishing above .500. granted it wasn't much but at least it was something to us fans.

They looked like they didn't even want to be there.

Absoultely disgusting. Thank God this season's over.

Lip

Viva Magglio
09-29-2002, 07:25 PM
It's always bittersweet for me when the season ends. I already cannot wait for pitchers and cathcers to report in Tucson.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-29-2002, 07:49 PM
Actually, I think our bullpen has been pretty solid most of the year. Running out a rotation that inclued Ritchie, Wright, and Glover is what killed us.

Didn't someone say the Sox spent less $ on starting pitching than any other team in baseball? That sounds about right.

I'm not sold on our offense either, unless the bottom-third of the lineup is improved. The way baseball is played today, you simply can't afford to give up 3 automatic outs every three innings.

Jimenez looks like the real deal. If there is one ray of sunshine from the past 6 weeks, this would be it.

:ray
<sob><sob>
"Now I'll never get back to Chicago! What will Crystal say?"

delben91
09-29-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Jimenez looks like the real deal. If there is one ray of sunshine from the past 6 weeks, this would be it.

I would argue for 2 rays of sunshine. Jimenez as one, and Crede showing he can match the hype being another. Bring on Spring Training, if only for my love of the game.

Lip Man 1
09-30-2002, 02:06 AM
George:

You are correct. Paul Sullivan wrote a story a few months back that showed the Sox spend less money on starting pitching then any team in the division. The Twins, if I remember correctly spent 44 per cent of their payroll of their starters. (All of whom have been signed to long term deals...)

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-30-2002, 02:12 AM
What was even funnier was listening to Bill Melton on the Sox post game show today.

Melton was saying how much better Sox pitching will be next season, then he said one of the more assinine things I've ever heard.

"Just compare the young Sox pitchers to those in Kansas City and Detroit..."

My first gut reaction was that the Sox aren't competing against Kansas City and Detroit are they? Compare them to the Twins, Yankees, A's, Angels, Red Sox and Mariners. Then see where they wind up.

Exactly.....just like 2001 and 2002

Lip

Nellie_Fox
09-30-2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Was Manuel stoned today? What was up with that lineup? Why didn't Manuel yank Porzio? Why was Harris batting in the ninth with Konerko, Thomas & Magglio all sitting on the bench?

Frustrating end to a frustrating season. What game were you watching? Thomas and Konerko were in the starting lineup today.

I did have a screaming fit that Harris batted with two outs in the ninth and a runner on. I've stayed absolutely silent on Manuel, but I've had it with him not pinch-hitting for weak hitters late in the game.

Why was Maggs not playing today in the first place? The Twins announcers only said that he was "getting a day off." A day off for what? To get him rested for spring training? Did no one care about a chance to salvage a winning season?

ma-gaga
09-30-2002, 03:01 AM
I thought both teams kind of mailed this one in. The boxscore for the Twins tells an epic story. I count 18 position players used, and 5 pitchers, including Rick Reed out of the bullpen.

When Manuel started Josh Paul out in the OF, I figured, this was going to be one of those games...

It didn't matter. This game was meaningless. If the Whitesox really NEEDED to win this game Jerry would have pulled something stupid out of his ass, like pitching Burhle out of the bullpen for the 8th inning... 0.500 vs winning season really doesn't matter.

I mean if you're the Brewers and you haven't had a winning season in 13 years, then it matters, but the Sox have been over 0.500 the last two years. At least they didn't end up below 0.500.

hold2dibber
09-30-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Actually, I think our bullpen has been pretty solid most of the year. Running out a rotation that inclued Ritchie, Wright, and Glover is what killed us.

Didn't someone say the Sox spent less $ on starting pitching than any other team in baseball? That sounds about right.

I'm not sold on our offense either, unless the bottom-third of the lineup is improved. The way baseball is played today, you simply can't afford to give up 3 automatic outs every three innings.

The positives I took from the late season resurgence were:

(1) Jimenez
(2) Crede
(3) I have restored hope that the Sox will get at least 2 above-average major league starters between Biddle, Wright, Garland and Rauch.

Procol Harum
09-30-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
It's always bittersweet for me when the season ends. I already cannot wait for pitchers and cathcers to report in Tucson.

I think I can wait a while. 2002 White Sox baseball effected me like a virus--I'll need a while to let this past season work it's way out of my system. The final weekend was a particular downer in that it emphatically reaffirmed our shortcomings against the Twins--we looked flat, we couldn't deal with the Twinkiedome, we couldn't get the 20th for Buehrle, and we couldn't even win one out of three to salvage a winning record. And with Lenny at the controls under Reinsdorf, it's hard to be optimistic about 2003 in the hope that serious steps will be taken to address our pitching needs.

Pass the Pepto... :(:

Cheryl
09-30-2002, 11:51 AM
Thank goodness that season is over. I lost interest in it long ago--I wouldn't even know they stunk up the Dome over the weekend if I wasn't checking in here. It's just been too awful, and now it's over. I can't say I'm looking forward to next year either. It doesn't look like there's going to be any major changes.

Lip Man 1
09-30-2002, 01:15 PM
Cheyrl:

Actually there will be a few changes....

One, the Sox will cut the team payroll AGAIN, down to a Kansas City like 45 million dollars.

Two, guys like Buerhle, Ordonez and Konerko will be one step closer to free agency.

Three, our owner will turn 67.

Lip

soxtalker
09-30-2002, 01:53 PM
I think that September showed some positives on the field with the introduction of the young players and the resurgence of Thomas. Such things must be viewed with a bit of caution, of course, as most of the games meant very little to any of the teams.

On the management side, it is hard to be optimistic. I'm not as critical of Manuel as many here, but I wouldn't say I'm a tremendous supporter either. The best thing that I can say about KW is that a few of his trades may turn out ok -- e.g., Marte and (based on a few games this month) Olivo. Maybe he'll learn as he goes along, but I haven't seen much evidence of this yet. This just doesn't feel like a winning organization.

For those who are hoping for the acquisition of a 2nd and/or 3rd
starter, well, I'm concerned. I'm trying to remember when there was a good acquisition of this quality/level of player. I don't think that Valentine/Eldred were expected to do nearly as well as he did, so I don't really count him. A free-agent acquisition of this magnitude seems very unlikely given the budget constraints. And I shudder at the thought of KW making another trade that would cost this much.

DonkeyKongerko
09-30-2002, 07:42 PM
thank goodness for september baseball. i think the whitesox definitely could have pulled the plug on the season by mid-july and they pretty much did with all of the trades.

but then something happened, they called up the kids and the kids showed they could play for one solid month (september). almost like a teaser, i now cannot wait for these kids to get a fresh start. a start untainted by the likes of hitting slumps from lofton, lee, durham, and a gimpy frank thomas.

the only thing i dont look forward to is the preseason newspaper articles that say the cubs will finish in 1st place...seems like i always see those come march. then again that just makes watching them finish 67-95 all the more sweet to savor..if you are a sadist like me :smile: