PDA

View Full Version : Today's game puts last 6 weeks in perspective

chisoxt
09-28-2002, 11:28 PM
Todays game was an indication of proof of why the Sox have a ways to go before they can be considered a contender for anything. Most notably, there is this little problem of a brain-dead manager who, like in the playoffs in 2000, seems to lose his mind when there seems to be a little something extra riding on the outcome of a game.

I suppose that it is only fillting that a manager who denies Beuhrlie the chance to start the eigth inning under a 100 pitch (infamous Yankee game) count, allows the same guy to face a pinch hitter with two outs in the eigth inning at 125 pitches, when we had rested and capable arms rotting in the bullpen. What's even more aggravating, when the Sox got a runner on in the ninth with no outs, he has Valentin bunting! Conventional wisdom holds that you play for the tie at home and win on the road, especially when you are facing a good team whgich has a good bullpen.

Yes, I am encouraged my what I saw from the team in the last six weeks, but if there ever was a case for the Sox management to get a manager to take this team from point B to point C, this is it.

Please fire Jerry Manuel.

cheeses_h_rice
09-29-2002, 12:52 AM
Sorry, but I disagree. We'd be yelling for JM's head if the reliever had come in and done the same thing.

Plus, don't forget, today was the last game of Buehrle's season, so "stretching" him to 125 pitches isn't a big deal. If the Sox had scored in the 9th, I would have expected Burly to pitch the bottom half of the inning.

Kielty hit a good pitch out of the park, is all, on top of a classic Baggydome infield single. Burly pitched good, but the "O" just wasn't there. I can't argue with the call for Jose's bunt in the 9th, either. It was just one of those games, unfortunately...

RKMeibalane
09-29-2002, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Sorry, but I disagree. We'd be yelling for JM's head if the reliever had come in and done the same thing.

Kielty hit a good pitch out of the park, is all, on top of a classic Baggydome infield single. Burly pitched good, but the "O" just wasn't there. I can't argue with the call for Jose's bunt in the 9th, either. It was just one of those games, unfortunately...

Agreed. Manuel probably thought Buehrle deserved the chance to finish the game himself, given that he was pursuing his twentieth win. The bunt with Valentin was strange, but no worse than anyting else Manuel has done this season. Remember, he is "The Tinkerer."