PDA

View Full Version : Winning Season?

Lip Man 1
09-28-2002, 02:07 AM
Assuming the Sox don't win Saturday afternoon, the chance for a "winning" season will come down to one game on Sunday.

I sincerely hope the Sox can take care of business Saturday. I don't know if Garland could handle the "pressure" on Sunday.

A historical note, the last time the Sox ended a season EXACTLY at .500 was in 1974. They beat K.C. in 12 innings 5-4 with Goose Gossage getting the win. They ended the season at 80 - 80. Get this, the game was played in Chicago before LESS then 2,000 fans!

For all the disappointments this year has produced, finishing 82-80 would at least be better then nothing.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
09-28-2002, 02:16 AM
I just don't see the Sox getting swept by the Twins this weekend. There should be a winning season, by however little.

RKMeibalane
09-28-2002, 01:27 PM
I think it's funny that the Sox have a shot at another winning season. Earlier in the year, ESPN made them out to be one of the worst teams in the Major Leagues, yet they have played extremely well over the past month. I really don't understand the media, and I don't think I ever will. They love to kick people when they're down, and everyone believes what they say. Some people I was talking to earlier in the week were shocked that the Sox had a winning record. One of them thought the Sox were... GULP... worse than the Cubs.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-28-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I just don't see the Sox getting swept by the Twins this weekend. There should be a winning season, by however little.

How are you feeling about this now, Nellie?

:)

duke of dorwood
09-28-2002, 07:51 PM
Nellie? Earth to Nellie.

Old whammys dont die easy.

Nellie_Fox
09-29-2002, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
How are you feeling about this now, Nellie? I've gotta say, this is making me nuts. When there were 9 games to go I didn't think they'd do it with six against the Twins and three against the Bosox. Then they come into the final three games at three games over, and I figure an over .500 season is a lock. Now it's down to the last game to stay over .500. I still think they'll win tomorrow, if for no other reason than that I doubt Gardenhire will risk injuring his stars, and will probably have them all sitting on the bench.

Lip Man 1
09-29-2002, 02:44 AM
Nellie:

The playoffs start Tuesday, he rested his starters last weekend in Chicago.

Tomorrow is also "fan appreciation day" in Minnesota. The park will probably be jammed with "homer hankies" everywhere.

Rest assured his "A Team" starts Sunday.

(and I'm sure the Twins want to send a "message" back to the Sox that winning meaningless games in September doesn't mean they will contend in 2003. Essentially that the Twins can outplay the Sox when they want to...)

We'll see what happens but I'm not holding my breath.

Lip