PDA

View Full Version : The Minnesota view on Diminished Skills

Nellie_Fox
09-28-2002, 01:05 AM
I was (of course) watching the Sox game on the Twin Cities FSN station. The Twins announcers, Bert Blyleven and the guy whose name I can never remember, were talking about how the media reports out of Chicago were that the Sox would exercise the Diminished Skills Clause on Frank. They were pretty much incredulous that the Sox would even consider risking losing him. They talked about what an intimidating presence he is in the middle of the lineup, especially with Maggs and Paulie. They also said that they believe he will be back to himself next year based on how he has been going the last month.

Just thought you might like the view from out of town, and this is from announcers who have no love for the Sox, as evidenced by the fact that they brought up the trash talking the Sox did during spring training and talked about the fact that the Sox have never given the Twins their "props."

Iguana775
09-28-2002, 01:32 AM
chicago media seems to hate all that is not the cubs. i would take the word of an out of towner than a chi town personality. most seem to be cubbie tools.

personally, i think he will be back cause it would be a PR nitemare. there would be a lot of pissed off fans.

oh, btw, this is my 1000 post!! woo hoo!! lol

Lip Man 1
09-28-2002, 01:47 AM
Just wondering...

Since when has Sox management ever cared about the P.R. reaction to what they do. (See: Guillen, Ozzie & Ventura, Robin)

Lip

DVG
09-28-2002, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Just wondering...

Since when has Sox management ever cared about the P.R. reaction to what they do. (See: Guillen, Ozzie & Ventura, Robin)

Lip

This is true. Those two should have been White Sox for life.

ozzman
09-28-2002, 12:37 PM
the way that they treated fisk during the playoffs of 93. Now that's PR at its finest!

guillen4life13
09-28-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
chicago media seems to hate all that is not the cubs. i would take the word of an out of towner than a chi town personality. most seem to be cubbie tools.

personally, i think he will be back cause it would be a PR nitemare. there would be a lot of pissed off fans.

oh, btw, this is my 1000 post!! woo hoo!! lol

woo! slowly but surely i'm getting there. almost half way!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-28-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I was (of course) watching the Sox game on the Twin Cities FSN station. The Twins announcers, Bert Blyleven and the guy whose name I can never remember, were talking about how the media reports out of Chicago were that the Sox would exercise the Diminished Skills Clause on Frank. They were pretty much incredulous that the Sox would even consider risking losing him. They talked about what an intimidating presence he is in the middle of the lineup, especially with Maggs and Paulie. They also said that they believe he will be back to himself next year based on how he has been going the last month.

Just thought you might like the view from out of town, and this is from announcers who have no love for the Sox, as evidenced by the fact that they brought up the trash talking the Sox did during spring training and talked about the fact that the Sox have never given the Twins their "props."

Thanks for posting this. It is truly embarrassing how the Chicago media simply buys into the loser's logic that would let Frank go or pay him like a rookie. As if Reinsdorf would use one thin dime of the savings to fix the team's problems, LMAO!

If biased reporters like those in the Twin Cities are incredulous at this news, why isn't anybody back in Chicago?

duke of dorwood
09-28-2002, 07:56 PM
Funny, they were talking up Toreye Hunter for MVP, with similar offensive numbers that Frank has and the media here considers that diminished skills.

Twins8791
09-28-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I was (of course) watching the Sox game on the Twin Cities FSN station. The Twins announcers, Bert Blyleven and the guy whose name I can never remember....

....they brought up the trash talking the Sox did during spring training and talked about the fact that the Sox have never given the Twins their "props."

1)Dick Bremer.

2)True, they haven't.

3)I always think that a player should stay around if you don't have someone better to replace him, considering mitigating factors, of course. If you drop Thomas his replacement needs to be young AND very cheap AND very promising.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-29-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Twins8791
...3)I always think that a player should stay around if you don't have someone better to replace him, considering mitigating factors, of course. If you drop Thomas his replacement needs to be young AND very cheap AND very promising.

Oh sure, Jeff Liefer fits that description.

0 for 3 with 3 K's and three men left on base.

:jerry
"Yes, but he bats lefty."

:ohno
"Stop thinking. You're hurting the ballclub."